Freezing Cabbage Rolls (Holubtsi)

Cabbage Rolls
A traditional Ukranian dish, the holubtsi or cabbage roll is a tasty treat that can be frozen and saved for later. This guide is about freezing cabbage rolls (holubtsi).

How long are cabbage rolls, filled with ground steak and rice in tomato sauce and frozen, good for?

In the refrigerator 3-4 days

In the freezer 3-4 months

Reference) http://www.stil  tems/index/16660

You can freeze 3-4 months.

What is the freezing or boiling method to make stuffed cabbage?

By Sammy

Your goal is to soften the leaves so they roll easily. You can put the head of cabbage in the freezer all night and when it thaws the next day the leaves will be wilted and ready to use. Or you can submerge the head in a large pot of boiling water for ten or 15 minutes and it will then be ready to use. If you decide to pull the leaves away from the head before you put them in boiling water you will need less time. Remember to cut away the stem part to release the leaves and do not use the first layer of leaves.

Put cored (core with a hand apple corer) cabbage in hot water and as leaves get soft remove and put on a pan or cookie sheet. As you go further down you will probably have to use a knife to release the leaves. I hold the cabbage with a two prong fork. Be careful as the water is boiling hot. I start making the cabbage rolls using the larger leaves first (I usually make them using two cabbages and I use the larger leaves from both.) When finished I chop the smaller unused leaves and put 1/2 on bottom of roaster and 1/2 on top.

Do you freeze stuffed cabbage before or after it is cooked?

By Lynn W.

Anonymous

I personally would prepare and bake and then freeze, including with the sauce. Just bake about ten or fifteen minutes less than the recipe calls for so that when it thaws and is reheated the cabbage won't be mushy.

I prepared cabbage rolls and froze them in vacuum Ziplock bags. How long can I keep them in the freezer? I was hoping to use them in 4 weeks. The meat and rice are uncooked and the cabbage is blanched.

By sueweber from Bennington, NY

Uncooked ground meat lasts three to four MONTHS frozen. Lots more info on safe freezing at this link:

http://www.fsis  eezing/index.asp

Can Holuptsi made with cooked rice and raw shredded potatoes be frozen after cooked?

Sandra

Anonymous

Rice and shredded raw potatoes freeze just fine ... Which Haluptsi/Halupsi recipe are you using ??? Just curious because ingredients vary depending on region of world origin ...