Freezing Baking Soda and Baking Powder

Freezing these two baking ingredients is possible if you follow some simple steps. This is a guide about freezing baking soda and baking powder.

Does anyone know this information? Can I freeze baking powder and/or baking soda without any ill affect on my end baking product?

S. Walle from Duncanville, TX

Answers

Best Answer

My mom kept her baking powder in the freezer and I do too. You do it so it will keep longer. It works just fine.

Tricia

Best Answer

jrslady is correct! I have kept my baking soda and powder in the freezer for years. It's a shame to go to all the trouble to bake a scratch recipe and have all your hard work ruined for lack of storing your ingredients properly. I also store my Bisquick, flours, and cornmeal in the freezer.

Pardon me - but whay would you want to freeze it? Isn't it a chemical mixture? My mother always kept it on the shelf - me, too - I don't think you have to treat it with much care- maybe put it in a can or jar???

Pamphyila - Baking Powder loses it's potency over time - I know, I've thrown my share of unused baking powder out. Small tip: To find out if baking powder is still usable: Put a very small amount in a very small amount of water. If it bubbles, it's still good. If it doesn't bubble, throw it out, it's no longer a working baking powder.