Freezing Baking Soda and Baking Powder

Freezing these two baking ingredients is possible if you follow some simple steps. This is a guide about freezing baking soda and baking powder.

Does anyone know this information? Can I freeze baking powder and/or baking soda without any ill affect on my end baking product?

S. Walle from Duncanville, TX

Answers

Best Answer

My mom kept her baking powder in the freezer and I do too. You do it so it will keep longer. It works just fine.

Tricia

Best Answer

jrslady is correct! I have kept my baking soda and powder in the freezer for years. It's a shame to go to all the trouble to bake a scratch recipe and have all your hard work ruined for lack of storing your ingredients properly. I also store my Bisquick, flours, and cornmeal in the freezer.

Does freezing baking soda affect the soda for future baking?

Answers

I personally have not froze baking soda. I have no need to, but I've heard a hit/miss with freezing and later using.

Here is an example of an existing thread - www.thriftyfun.com/Freezing-Baking-Soda-and-Baking-Powder...

From what I have read, it is not advisable to freeze baking soda. It can actually shorten its life.

My mother used to but found it was actually best when kept in the fridge.

Baking soda (unopened) will last for a very, very long time without any affect on its usability for baking if just placed in refrigerator, but it is best to store it in a zip lock baggie.

A container may pick up strong odors if stored opened in the refrigerator (that's why most people keep a box there) but it is still good for using to open sluggish drains (with vinegar) or in the laundry..

I use it often in my laundry (instead of bleach) so I just store the container in my laundry room (or put it in a large empty container (coffee container, dollar store container).