Freezing Mashed Potatoes

Category Vegetables
Whether you have leftovers or want to make a large batch, freezing mashed potatoes is a good method of saving them for later use. This is s guide about freezing mashed potatoes.

I would be interested in tips for freezing mashed potatoes.

By Jan from Yakima, WA

Anonymous

I freeze mashers all the time ;-) Just let them cool and place in approriate size zip lock baggies, remove as much air as possible and place in freezer :-)

We raise a lot of potatoes in our garden and when we make mashed potatoes, we will make a large batch, and just place the extra mashed potatoes in zip lock bags and place in freezer. We just defrost and heat in the microwave. If they are too thick, just add a little milk. We started freezing single servings or small servings of mashed potatoes, and when our small grandchild was here, we could have a vegetable for him as he began to eat table foods.

My sister freezes them by using a small scoop like you would use for cookies and making small balls of them on a baking sheet. Then freezing several hours. Once frozen place into a Ziplock bag and when you want to use them take out only the amount you need and heat in the microwave. They got the idea from the Schwans' mashed potatoes that are so convenient but so expensive.

How well do these store in the freezer? I keep my freezer at 0* fahrenheit and will be using large freezer containers.

Can I freeze mashed potato?

By Delia

You can, but that doesn't mean that they are going to taste good when they are de-thawed .

Indeed you can, just look at frozen tv dinners.

My family loves mashed potatoes and on busy weeknights I'm embarrassed to admit that I've used powdered potato flakes. My husband is not a fan of the flakes. Just before Thanksgiving huge 10 lb bags of potatoes were on sale for same price as a 5 lb bag. I could have made a lot of potatoes! Has anyone successfully frozen mashed potatoes and how did they go about it.

By Carolyn

I freeze mashed potatoes whenever I have any left over. I freeze them in a plastic container and when I remove them from my freezer I add a little butter and heat them in my microwave until hot. Then take a whisk and beat them and they taste freshly made.

Can you freeze mashed potatoes? I was thinking about making a large batch and freezing so we can use portions as we need without making them each time.

Kathy from OH

Answers:

Freezing Mashed Potatoes

Yes you can freeze mashed potatoes. They freeze quite well I have done it several times. All you need to do is make your large portion the way you want and put them in containers the size you want and freeze. I used to freeze different types, ie. cheese, garlic, etc., and label them so I will get the flavour I need when I need it. This is a great time saver. (11/05/2007)

By Carylin

Freezing Mashed Potatoes

No, I tried it and the texture turned out strange. It could, however, have been because I used condensed milk in that recipe. (11/05/2007)

By Chrissy

Freezing Mashed Potatoes

Yes, I freeze potatoes, however I do not put anything in them until after I defrost them. I cook the potatoes in bite size chunks then I can use them in many ways; fried, soup, mashed, etc. (11/06/2007)

By Suzin

Freezing Mashed Potatoes

I make twice baked stuffed potatoes and freeze them all the time. I make 16-20 at a time. After mashing, add chopped green onion, crumbled bacon (or bacon bits), cheese, or anything else you would like. Fill skins, wrap with Saran wrap and freeze. When ready to use, just unwrap, top with a little butter (or butter spray) and more cheese and microwave until hot. Enjoy. (12/13/2007)

By tudzco

runny potatoes help

You say your potatoes turned runny after freezing this time and they are used for perogies, add instant potato flakes to your potatoes.
I do this when I have the same problem you do for perogies.
Stir in a few till the thickness you need.
This works great.
(12/23/2007)

By smilingfaces88

Freezing Mashed Potatoes

I make a big pot of potatoes and mash like you always do with milk and butter or margarine, then fold in some sour cream. There is no real amount, but the mashed potatoes look creamier and whiter (or the flavored if you like) and put in container you would need for the next meal(s). For my husband and I, I put into a 2 cup plastic container. Take out and microwave 2 minutes (demand on oven), mix, and repeat and they should be ready to eat. (09/16/2008)

By Julie

Can mashed potatoes be frozen without altering taste or texture? Thank you in advance for your help!

jmz2005 from Illinois

Answers:

Freezing Mashed Potatoes

Yes, but I use cream cheese and butter instead of milk. The milk would not freeze well and the potatoes would be runny. With the cream cheese I know I can serve my mashed taters to company and not worry about the texture, (08/26/2006)

By johnsonya@cox.net

Freezing Mashed Potatoes

Yes, but I use chicken broth. I usually have the broth on hand and they defrost and heat up perfectly. You can use the boil in bag method and just boil the zipper freezer bag (if you use). (08/26/2006)

By

Freezing Mashed Potatoes

I USE MILK & MARGARINE & IT FREEZES VERY NICELY. YOU JUST HAVE TO ADD A LITTLE MORE LIQUID WHEN WARMING UP (08/28/2006)

By grandma

Freezing Mashed Potatoes

I use a small scoop so sizes are uniform, put them on wax paper covered cookie sheet and place in freezer about 4-5 hours, then put all in Ziploc bag. This way I can use as much or as little as I need. Put what I need in the microwave, spritz with water and heat. No difference noticed.
JoanDogs (08/28/2006)

By JoanDogs