Fresh Summer Vegetable Soup with Pasta

A very simple vegetable soup, nothing fancy, just washing and chopping vegetables, stirring, and enjoying the aroma of a food that makes you hungry just preparing it.

• 3 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 cup onions, chopped
  • 1 lb. fresh carrots, sliced
  • 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
  • Ad
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups potatoes, unpeeled and chopped
  • 2 cups turnip roots, chopped
  • 1 cup celery, chopped
  • 2 lbs. fresh green beans, sliced
  • 2 cups tri-colored small pasta shells, cooked
  • 1/2 tsp. salt, optional
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh parsley, chopped
  • 10 cups broth, homemade if possible, chicken or vegetable

Directions:

Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add onions, celery, and carrots. Saute until they are tender. Add bell pepper and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes.

Add broth, potatoes, and turnips. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover partially and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Add green beans. Simmer for 15 minutes.

Add pasta, salt, and pepper. Continue to simmer for another 15 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to sit, covered for 1/2 hour.

Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley.

Servings: 12
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 1 Hours

Source: The recipe for this soup came from my Mother who almost couldn't wait for her "kitchen" garden to be ready to cook. She didn't always have every ingredient that's listed, but if she did, everything went into the big old soup pot.

She'd make the best baked cornbread to go with this healthy and hearty soup. It was as good to us as it was for us. I have such nice memories of helping her in that big old kitchen where the kitchen table more often than not was also where I did my school homework. I wish I had that big table still, but I don't know where I'd put it in the kitchen we have today.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

Mmmm! this sounds hearty and so healthy! I can just taste it with dumplings or corn bread, or just a rustic, crusty bread. Thank you, Julia.

You sure know how to make me drool. With the heat and humidity in the mid 90's here I'll put this away for our winter months.

Thanks for another winner Julia.

Yum, I'm hungry! My mom used to make a veggie soup too, usually with chopped beef and okra added to your list. Just the soup and buttered bread made me very happy.

My mom made a similar soup, but my dad always had to have meat of some kind It didn't matter if it was chicken or beef as long as he could find meat. We kids loved soup with bread and butter, and we often had it every night in the winter time. The whole house would smell so good. Ah, those really were the good old days.

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

HokeyPoke

I see so few soups which contain the turnip roots that I just love. Being from the south, we always added what we called purple top turnips, and if a bit of the green stem went into the pot too, that was just fine. Everything in this soup are vegetables that my family likes and is used to eating one way or the other. We find we are eating less meat these days, an economic gesture, and we don't mind at all. With all the summer harvest just around the corner, I'm looking forward to many good pots of soup. Oh, we'd have cornbread for sure too. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

Lee

We normally have a hearty beef/vegetable soup every week in the winter time. The pot is large and will often feed our family of 4 for 2 whole days with maybe a single serving or two left to freeze.

Soup is such an economical meal that I'm finding it to be just as much a summer time staple as it is a winter food. I'm also surprised to find that my family likes it just as well without the addition of meat or at least less meat. It can be leftover baked ham, turkey, chicken or beef, but I think it's the freshness of the vegetables that makes it so satisfying and appetites so good.

I'll make grilled cheese sandwiches to go with our soup, and no one misses the meats. It sure cuts down on time spent in the kitchen, and that's a good thing now that we're trying to reduce the cost of our electric bill too.

This is a good soup recipe leaving me room to add or subtract anything I don't want or don't have on hand.

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Suziq9

If I lived next door to you, I'd pay you just to let me eat with you. So would my husband. LOL You cook all the things we like best.

ww

Vegetable Soup on Tray With Bread
Vegetable Soup Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Soups VegetableJune 22, 2011
Homemade gluten free pasta.
Gluten Free Pasta Recipes
Two colors of frozen ravioli.
Freezing Cooked Pasta
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Homemade Pasta Recipes
Homemade Pasta Recipes
🎉
🎄