Garnishing Disability for Child Support

I was receiving child support until my husband lost his job. He received back pay last Friday for the time he was out and is now on 60% disability from his employer. Will I collect any child support from his back pay or from his future disability payments?

Thank you for your time.

By RStewart109 from NC

Garnishing Disability for Child Support

Go to your local Child Support Enforcement Office and see what steps can be taken. The above mentioned office is usually connected with the department of social services. I think they will be able to advise you and maybe even do the paper work for you. (07/24/2010)

By redhatterb

Garnishing Disability for Child Support

We never got a lump sum just a monthly garnishment from his check. Make sure Social Security knows he owes child support. The Dept of Child Enforcement can help with that if you are not already using it.
(DCSE) (07/29/2010)

By maphisx7

Garnishing Disability for Child Support

I'm not sure about the state that you live in, but there are different types of disability: social security disability, workman's compensation disability. Social security disability will send monthly checks to a child of a disabled person. Workman's compensation disability won't.

You can, however garnish his settlement check, if you know when he is supposed to receive it (you will need the help of an attorney). All the paperwork must be done ahead of time and given to his company before his settlement check is written. This way, he won't have time to spend the money, and part of the settlement will be made out to you. It can be kind of difficult, since his employer will try to protect him and doesn't have to tell you about when the check is being written. I have a friend who did this, and got several years of child support payments that her ex failed to pay for their two kids, over $8000 in one check. Her husband was furious, but her kids had a right to the money. (08/06/2010)

By susanmajp

Garnishing Disability for Child Support
Garnishing Disability for Child Support
Writing a child support check.
Paying Back Child Support
Social Security Disability Form
Receiving Social Security Disability Benefits
In a wheelchair doing laundry.
Organizing Your Home When You Have a Disability
A woman sitting at table in a wheelchair.
Living With a Disability