Browsing: Getting Dye Out of Clothing

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Dye Out of Clothing

Dye can get onto clothing either in the wash or by transferring from other clothing such as jeans. This is a guide about getting dye out of clothing.

Getting Dye Out of Clothing
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 24, 2016 Flag

I had a bright piece of yellow paper in the back pocket of my light colored jeans and I forgot I had it in the pocket. I washed my jeans and now the bright yellow got on my pants. How do I take it off? They're my favorite pair of jeans. Help.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How Can I Get

Out A Spot On My Lime Green Bra

From My Black Hair Dye(?)

Please Help Me(?):)

Thanks

Yellow dye on my good jeans

September 13, 2013 Flag

We made a red and blue transfer. We ironed it on a white t-shirt. It was worn all day and the next day, in the heat. Sweat caused the red ink from the transfer to bleed! How do I fix this? Clean it up so it can be worn again and not ruined?

By Mary C.

I wash a black and white poker dot 100% linen dry only dress the black dots bled pink on the white. I put some sea salt in some cold water and let it soak for a while, then I rinse the salt out with cold water and hang it out to dry. My dress look like new.

I washed a light green top with a bright orange top in cold water. When I removed the green one from the washer it has all orange running through it. I took the tip of putting sea salt in cold water and soaked the top for about 15 minutes. I could not believe it when I took it out and rinsed the top the orange was gone. Amazing! A keeper tip. Thanks

January 16, 2015 Flag

I tried to tie dye a really nice shirt, but it looks horrible! How do I get it out? Please help.

By Mackenzie M

A box of Rit Color Remover might be a solution for you. I have used it to take color out of a sheet that came out of the washer all blotchy for some unknown reason. Sometimes grocery stores carry some Rit Dye products. I got a box recently at a craft store. Good luck!

How do I remove blue syain from white cotton top

August 29, 2013 Flag

I have just washed my son's new school t-shirt which is yellow with my normal colours (none of which run) and for some reason when I took it out of the machine it had blue dye on it and now it looks a "dirty" yellow colour. Any tips on how to get it back to it's original colour would be appreciated.

By Ann-Marie A

Get Rit Dye color remover and follow the pkg directions. It should come out. Good luck.

How to get dark stain on a red football shirt out.think it was left wet in a washing basket and stain was on it.it is a large stain.

July 18, 2013 Flag

How do I prevent or remove dye that is running on my garments? I put like colors together on cold and have used every type of detergent and my clothes still come out with spots. They look like grease spills and I know they aren't. They even appear on the back of a tee shirt sometimes. Help.

By Barbara J

Colors bleeding onto garments stain the entire garment or they stain the area where they sit for a length of time such as if you leave things in the washer for some time before putting them into the dryer. I suspect that you have some other sort of thing going on; if they look like grease spots, I would think they might very well be grease spots. For that, I find that any good stain remover for grease, such as Shout, works; although the best thing I have found is an Orange peel cleaner. If the marks are a lighter color, it could be some type of acne medication or something of that nature that you are using on your skin. That kind of stuff will bleach out color and discolor necklines, and also it will look like fingerprints on colored garments, but will not show up until after the garment is laundered.

If it is grease of some sort you can put dish soap on the spot and let it sit for like 20 minutes then wash like normal and as long as the spot didn't set in for too long or get dried it should come right out.

September 26, 2014 Flag

I had a bright/light yellow tank and washed it with colors, but after washing it, my tank was grey toned. How can I fix this?

By MK

Hello,

Been there try washing the tank top in a bucket or sink with a bit of Woolite and oxy wash powder in warm water then hang to dry. Hope my tip helps - Maria

September 5, 2014 Flag

How do you remove dye from black Levi jeans which has discolored a white blouse?

By Judith G.

Carbona makes a product called "color run remover" It should be in the section with the dye. Also there is a color grabber cloth that you put in the washer with the garment. I can't remember what it's called, but it's in the laundry section of the store. If either of these don't work, you could try appliques or any kind of bling to cover the spots.

October 31, 2009 Flag

I would like some suggestions for getting blue dye out of clothes.

By Chuck from NY

There is a product called Carbona that is supposed to help with that. I haven't tried it yet but found it when searching for an answer to the same question. Just search carbona and the site will tell you local places that carry it and give you some details.

I had same problem and i bought RIT laundry treatment color remove you can buy in any grocery store.I got mine at walmart in laundry isle. it says only for white clothes but i had a yellow tank top, a yellow shirt with green lettering on it and a seagull also white shirt with blue lettering and i washed clothes first then washed again with RIT on hottest water. I can not believe it worked great. I did have to do it twice. but it works great. and i am so glad they were new shirts and from hollister and aero. you might not have to do it twice but i had a few other items i had to get blue dye out of.RIT also has other products for whiten whites and stain removing never tried them but after tring this i will try there other products.

November 23, 2013 Flag

I've got a black jacket with a white fur hood. When I've washed it the black dye made the white fur hood grey. Any ideas how I can get the hood back to its right colour?

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsAugust 23, 2012
Washing Machine
Cleaning Fabric Dye from Inside a Washer
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 5:20:02 AM on 10.0.2.218 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.