Getting Dye Out of Clothing

Dye can get onto clothing either in the wash or by transferring from other clothing such as jeans. This is a guide about getting dye out of clothing.

Getting Dye Out of Clothing
Filter Sort

Question: Dye from Jeans Transferred to Shirt

By Nancy 1

How can I remove blue jean dye from an orange colored shirt?

By Nancy from Wood River, IL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By susan 33 441 05/13/2010 Flag

The product you want is "Color Out" and it is sold in the area with fabric dyes. Works great.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

By Chuck Tomajko 1

I would like some suggestions for getting blue dye out of clothes.

By Chuck from NY

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By cheryl 1 01/27/2010 Flag

I had same problem and i bought RIT laundry treatment color remove you can buy in any grocery store.I got mine at walmart in laundry isle. it says only for white clothes but i had a yellow tank top, a yellow shirt with green lettering on it and a seagull also white shirt with blue lettering and i washed clothes first then washed again with RIT on hottest water. I can not believe it worked great. I did have to do it twice. but it works great. and i am so glad they were new shirts and from hollister and aero. you might not have to do it twice but i had a few other items i had to get blue dye out of.RIT also has other products for whiten whites and stain removing never tried them but after tring this i will try there other products.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Tie Dye from Clothing

I tried to tie dye a really nice shirt, but it looks horrible! How do I get it out? Please help.

By Mackenzie M

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By HJ 13 118 01/19/2015 Flag

A box of Rit Color Remover might be a solution for you. I have used it to take color out of a sheet that came out of the washer all blotchy for some unknown reason. Sometimes grocery stores carry some Rit Dye products. I got a box recently at a craft store. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Clothing Turned Grey in Wash

I had a bright/light yellow tank and washed it with colors, but after washing it, my tank was grey toned. How can I fix this?

By MK

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Maria Ortiz 2 12/01/2014 Flag

Hello,
Been there try washing the tank top in a bucket or sink with a bit of Woolite and oxy wash powder in warm water then hang to dry. Hope my tip helps - Maria

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Black Jeans Dye Bled on White Blouse

How do you remove dye from black Levi jeans which has discolored a white blouse?

By Judith G.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By 2ndsight 4 28 09/08/2014 Flag

Carbona makes a product called "color run remover" It should be in the section with the dye. Also there is a color grabber cloth that you put in the washer with the garment. I can't remember what it's called, but it's in the laundry section of the store. If either of these don't work, you could try appliques or any kind of bling to cover the spots.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Colour Ran in the Wash

I've got a black jacket with a white fur hood. When I've washed it the black dye made the white fur hood grey. Any ideas how I can get the hood back to its right colour?

By Clare from Manchester

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lois Kersti Brouillette 13 20 11/24/2013 Flag

I know that there is a product now, that works in the washing machine. I know that we may be reversing what happened, but it is worth a try. Of course I do not have the name. I watched a commercial about it and I know it works. It looks like a fabric conditioner dryer sheet. I found it at the grocery store in the laundry soap isle. If you do not read a better idea, and find this product, you could try it by rewashing them. It is a great product for those wash loads that you need to have done faster, like the night before school. Hope you get help. Lois

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Red Dye Bled onto White Shirt

We made a red and blue transfer. We ironed it on a white t-shirt. It was worn all day and the next day, in the heat. Sweat caused the red ink from the transfer to bleed! How do I fix this? Clean it up so it can be worn again and not ruined?

By Mary C.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By apsspecial 1 02/21/2015 Flag

I wash a black and white poker dot 100% linen dry only dress the black dots bled pink on the white. I put some sea salt in some cold water and let it soak for a while, then I rinse the salt out with cold water and hang it out to dry. My dress look like new.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Blue Dye Out of a Yellow T-shirt

I have just washed my son's new school t-shirt which is yellow with my normal colours (none of which run) and for some reason when I took it out of the machine it had blue dye on it and now it looks a "dirty" yellow colour. Any tips on how to get it back to it's original colour would be appreciated.

By Ann-Marie A

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By designgirl178 14 09/04/2013 Flag

Get Rit Dye color remover and follow the pkg directions. It should come out. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dye Bleeding on Colored Clothes

How do I prevent or remove dye that is running on my garments? I put like colors together on cold and have used every type of detergent and my clothes still come out with spots. They look like grease spills and I know they aren't. They even appear on the back of a tee shirt sometimes. Help.

By Barbara J

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 07/23/2013 Flag

Colors bleeding onto garments stain the entire garment or they stain the area where they sit for a length of time such as if you leave things in the washer for some time before putting them into the dryer. I suspect that you have some other sort of thing going on; if they look like grease spots, I would think they might very well be grease spots. For that, I find that any good stain remover for grease, such as Shout, works; although the best thing I have found is an Orange peel cleaner. If the marks are a lighter color, it could be some type of acne medication or something of that nature that you are using on your skin. That kind of stuff will bleach out color and discolor necklines, and also it will look like fingerprints on colored garments, but will not show up until after the garment is laundered.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Fabric Dye from Shirt

By queenschuyler 1

I was tie dyeing and I didn't realize I was wearing one of my favorite bright pink shirts. I quickly changed the shirt and ran cold water on it, but there are still blue dots of dye on it. The shirt is 100% cotton and all pink with a design pocket on the front and design on most of the back. I don't want to do any harm to my shirt and I just want to get the blue stains out. I would really appreciate the help, I just got the shirt for my birthday and I didn't think about changing my shirt when I was tie dyeing.

pinks shirt with fabric dye stains
    Removing Fabric Dye from ShirtRemoving Fabric Dye from Shirt

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Fabric Dye From Clothes

By Merrilee Henson R. 1

My kids recently tie dyed some clothes at school and got unwanted dye on their regular clothes. How do I safely remove it?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Fabric Dye Transferred to Jacket

By Stephaniepatton99 1

I wore a black shirt under a white linen jacket and now there are black stains in the armpit area. How do I get this out?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Blue Stains from Oxiclean

I have a white jeans jacket that Oxiclean left blue spots on. My husband put it in the dryer. How do I get the stains out?

By Lorinda W

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Green Dye on White Pants

How do I remove green dye from my white pants?

By Jacqui S from Mulwala NSW Australia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Remove Dye from Clothing

How do I remove black dye from red clothing?

By DJ

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing a Stain on Pants

I had bought some grey pants for my husband and I washed them. When I took them out of the washer to hang them to dry, I realised that they had a light reddish pinkish spot on them. Is there a solution for this?

By Christina from Lafayette, LA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dye Transferred in the Wash

How do I get the blue dye out of the white ring of the neck and arms of a navy blue cheerleading shirt? I washed the top in with dark clothes and had a pair of jeans that faded onto the shirt. I then put it in the dryer. I forgot about it being in the wash and now the white is blue. I've used the Tide pen it took some out, I've used Clorox 2 no luck, and I've used Oxiclean stain remover. Anyone have any ideas?

By Llc

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Tie Dye Stains

By wendilawhorn 1

I need to know how to get like a mustard color tie dye stain out of a pink shirt, if there is a way.

By Callie L.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Stain from Wet Suitcase from Dress

The dress was on the back of a truck and it rained and soak through the suitcase and my new dress got stained.

By Judy B. from Norfolk, VA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Getting Red Dye out of Clothes

I did a dark wash with one red shirt and some assorted light color clothes. For some reason the red ran on everything. Can the red dye be cleaned out of the clothes?

Mindy from NY

Answers:

RE: Getting Red Dye out of Clothes

Well I guess you found out the hard way not to put a red item in with lights. I'm assuming this red item had not been previously washed or is relatively new. After several washings, it probably won't happen anymore. I am not sure what to take the red out with but seems there are some products out there. Go look in the cleaning products aisle in Wal-Mart and also in the area where they sell fabric dye. Also what you could do is to hand wash the red item separately in the future. I think you can set the color by using salt in water.

Also, it's best to do darks separately from lights.

Go to www.ask.com and pose your question as you might get some better answers than what I was able to give.

Good luck! (09/06/2006)

By Debbie52

RE: Getting Red Dye out of Clothes

Soak the clothing (minus the red shirt) in Oxiclean and hot water before rewashing. I've had good luck removing red dye doing this.
        Susan from ThriftyFun (09/06/2006)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Getting Red Dye out of Clothes

Once I washed an old, old orange shirt with some white socks and panties. I had washed the shirt dozens of times but apparently, it still had some dye to give. Guess what! I had orangey-peach socks and panties. It was not a solid color but orange and white tie-dye pattern. I tried everything to get it out with no luck. It eventually faded some but I still have some orangy tie-dye socks. It's a funny story and I had one of a kind underthings! (10/03/2006)

RE: Getting tie dye out of baje shorts

I don't know how to take out the die in my shorts they are my favorite shorts please give me some advice!

asap (06/09/2007)

By victor123

RE: Getting Red Dye out of Clothes

I washed a white shirt and a light green shirt with a red shirt by accident. When I went to put the clothes in the dryer, the white and green shirts had red all over them. I tried washing the green shirt with Oxiclean and Shout but nothing happened. I tried the same thing with the white shirt and the red came out somewhat. I then put the white shirt outside in the sun to see if the sun could bleach it back to white but, it only took a little bit of the red out. What should I do now? (07/09/2007)

By ceoamiton

Archive: Getting Red Dye Out of Clothes

Some nice shirts were washed with an item that leaked red dye.

The shirts have been kept moist by soaking in cool water, not dried, while we search for a solution. Any suggestions?
        Thanks.

Holly from Richardson, TX

Answers:

RE: Getting Red Dye Out of Clothes

I had the same problem a while back. I posted here and the advice that worked best for me was to soak my white shirts in lemon juice. I ran the shirts through wash cycle, then left them to soak overnight. Next morning I ran them through full wash/rinse cycle and they were white again.
        Hope this works for you. Good Luck (08/22/2007)

By Betty

RE: Getting Red Dye Out of Clothes

Rit Dye actually makes a product for this. It is only $2.49 for a bottle and it works great! (I know this because my husband "helped" by doing laundry) (10/16/2007)

By Tiffany Rohe

RE: Getting Red Dye Out of Clothes

My 13 year old was doing her laundry and thought "if I put every thing in at once, it won't take my so long." Well the school team jersey 1/2 polyester and 1/2 cotton blend, White with a thick purple stripe starting at the shoulder doing down to the bottom. gold and purple letters in the front and back. Is now pink, purple and gold due to being washed with a red sweatshirt. It was dried in the dryer and she looks to me on getting this out before the couch sees her. I have tried everything today and can not get it out. Is there a secret I do not know about? Can you please share. It has to be white again.

(b)Editor's Note:(/b) Once it is dried, removing stains is harder. I've had the best results removing bleeding dyes with Oxiclean. Soak the garments in hot water with a good amount of it and let it soak for a while. Hope this helps. (10/26/2007)

By Kim

Archive: Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

I have a new sweatshirt that I put in the laundry today and blue dye ran all over into it.

Cathy from Canada

Answers:

RE: Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

Add bleach in the washing machine. It works best if there's color on white clothing! (04/08/2008)

By amanda

I've just accidentally washed new white tops (which contain slight splashes of color design) with a blue skirt. Now the main body of both white tops are a pale blue! What can I do? Any solutions on how to return the white to it's original brilliant white color?

Mary from Ireland

Feedback:

RE: Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

Bleach does work wonderful. I like to try it in the sink with the item of clothing, that way you have control over how much you are using. Very little is actually needed, about 1 Tablespoon for a sink full of water, letting the item soak for about twenty minutes. You don't have to worry about pre-printed items on the t-shirt, it should not lighten it. If this doesn't work, add more bleach to the water, add it to a container with water, and pour into sink away from clothing. Good luck! (08/07/2008)

By ranchhandgirl

RE: Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

Hi,
        I've used Rit Color Remover before and it turns your whites back without using bleach. It can be found in the laundry aisle. The info below came from their website. Best of luck.

Fabric Treatments, don't throw away stained or dingy clothes - save them with RIT Fabric Treatments! RIT Color Remover removes or reduces fabric color before dyeing to a different or lighter color. Also safely removes most stains on whites that have accidentally been washed with colored items.

RIT Rust Remover removes yellow or tan discoloration caused by rusty water, rusty metal, and clay on white fabrics only.

RIT White-Wash whitens solid white fabrics, including hospital uniforms and non-bleachables such as lingerie.

RIT Whitener and Brightener brightens dull whites and colors without chlorine bleach.

(08/07/2008)

By JoAnnDeMom

RE: Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

I would use Oxi-clean. Then I would try something they did years ago, I would lay it flat out in the sunlight. I think my mother used a white sheet to lay them on. The sun will bleach out what the Oxi-clean doesn't get. (08/08/2008)

By SunshineRose

RE: Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

After washing, try putting it outside on the line in the sun. The sun sometimes whitens and bleaches. This may take a few washes and a few days in the sun. (08/08/2008)

By JOAN

RE: Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

Thanks to everyone who offered advice, I'll start with RIT Color Remover and see how it goes, fingers crossed! (08/10/2008)

By Mary from Ireland

RE: Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

Thank you so much. I would've thought hot water and bleach would've destroyed the clothes! My bf bought a new shirt and jeans from an expensive dress store and I threw it on top of a red table cloth I'd forgotten was in the wash machine. I almost died when it came out splattered with red as it was light blue. I tried everything for a week. This definitely worked, thanks a million! (01/01/2009)

By tiannalilly

How do I get blue dye out of white clothing?

By gemmano1 from Birmingham

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsAugust 23, 2012
        ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
        Washing Machine
        Cleaning Fabric Dye from Inside a Washer
        Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
        Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
        Sink with hair dye stains
        Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
        Red Hair Dye
        Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 5, 2016 at 5:36:27 PM on 10.0.0.130 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsArchives
        NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
        Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
        BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
        CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings