Getting Dye Out of Clothing

Dye can get onto clothing either in the wash or by transferring from other clothing such as jeans. This is a guide about getting dye out of clothing.

Getting Dye Out of Clothing
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 24, 2016 Flag

I had a bright piece of yellow paper in the back pocket of my light colored jeans and I forgot I had it in the pocket. I washed my jeans and now the bright yellow got on my pants. How do I take it off? They're my favorite pair of jeans. Help.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How Can I Get

Out A Spot On My Lime Green Bra

From My Black Hair Dye(?)

Please Help Me(?):)

Thanks

January 16, 2015 Flag

I tried to tie dye a really nice shirt, but it looks horrible! How do I get it out? Please help.

By Mackenzie M

A box of Rit Color Remover might be a solution for you. I have used it to take color out of a sheet that came out of the washer all blotchy for some unknown reason. Sometimes grocery stores carry some Rit Dye products. I got a box recently at a craft store. Good luck!

September 26, 2014 Flag

I had a bright/light yellow tank and washed it with colors, but after washing it, my tank was grey toned. How can I fix this?

By MK

Hello,

Been there try washing the tank top in a bucket or sink with a bit of Woolite and oxy wash powder in warm water then hang to dry. Hope my tip helps - Maria

July 18, 2013 Flag

How do I prevent or remove dye that is running on my garments? I put like colors together on cold and have used every type of detergent and my clothes still come out with spots. They look like grease spills and I know they aren't. They even appear on the back of a tee shirt sometimes. Help.

By Barbara J

Colors bleeding onto garments stain the entire garment or they stain the area where they sit for a length of time such as if you leave things in the washer for some time before putting them into the dryer. I suspect that you have some other sort of thing going on; if they look like grease spots, I would think they might very well be grease spots. For that, I find that any good stain remover for grease, such as Shout, works; although the best thing I have found is an Orange peel cleaner. If the marks are a lighter color, it could be some type of acne medication or something of that nature that you are using on your skin. That kind of stuff will bleach out color and discolor necklines, and also it will look like fingerprints on colored garments, but will not show up until after the garment is laundered.

If it is grease of some sort you can put dish soap on the spot and let it sit for like 20 minutes then wash like normal and as long as the spot didn't set in for too long or get dried it should come right out.

September 5, 2014 Flag

How do you remove dye from black Levi jeans which has discolored a white blouse?

By Judith G.

Carbona makes a product called "color run remover" It should be in the section with the dye. Also there is a color grabber cloth that you put in the washer with the garment. I can't remember what it's called, but it's in the laundry section of the store. If either of these don't work, you could try appliques or any kind of bling to cover the spots.

November 23, 2013 Flag

I've got a black jacket with a white fur hood. When I've washed it the black dye made the white fur hood grey. Any ideas how I can get the hood back to its right colour?

By Clare from Manchester

I know that there is a product now, that works in the washing machine. I know that we may be reversing what happened, but it is worth a try. Of course I do not have the name. I watched a commercial about it and I know it works. It looks like a fabric conditioner dryer sheet. I found it at the grocery store in the laundry soap isle. If you do not read a better idea, and find this product, you could try it by rewashing them. It is a great product for those wash loads that you need to have done faster, like the night before school. Hope you get help. Lois

September 13, 2013 Flag

We made a red and blue transfer. We ironed it on a white t-shirt. It was worn all day and the next day, in the heat. Sweat caused the red ink from the transfer to bleed! How do I fix this? Clean it up so it can be worn again and not ruined?

By Mary C.

I wash a black and white poker dot 100% linen dry only dress the black dots bled pink on the white. I put some sea salt in some cold water and let it soak for a while, then I rinse the salt out with cold water and hang it out to dry. My dress look like new.

August 29, 2013 Flag

I have just washed my son's new school t-shirt which is yellow with my normal colours (none of which run) and for some reason when I took it out of the machine it had blue dye on it and now it looks a "dirty" yellow colour. Any tips on how to get it back to it's original colour would be appreciated.

By Ann-Marie A

Get Rit Dye color remover and follow the pkg directions. It should come out. Good luck.

May 11, 2010 Flag

How can I remove blue jean dye from an orange colored shirt?

By Nancy from Wood River, IL

RIT, available in grocery stores, etc. sell a product that gets color off of clothes. Sorry to not have more info. At Kroger in Houston, TX USA they sell RIT in the aisle where the laundry soap is. Good luck!

The product you want is "Color Out" and it is sold in the area with fabric dyes. Works great.

October 31, 2009 Flag

I would like some suggestions for getting blue dye out of clothes.

By Chuck from NY

There is a product called Carbona that is supposed to help with that. I haven't tried it yet but found it when searching for an answer to the same question. Just search carbona and the site will tell you local places that carry it and give you some details.

I had same problem and i bought RIT laundry treatment color remove you can buy in any grocery store.I got mine at walmart in laundry isle. it says only for white clothes but i had a yellow tank top, a yellow shirt with green lettering on it and a seagull also white shirt with blue lettering and i washed clothes first then washed again with RIT on hottest water. I can not believe it worked great. I did have to do it twice. but it works great. and i am so glad they were new shirts and from hollister and aero. you might not have to do it twice but i had a few other items i had to get blue dye out of.RIT also has other products for whiten whites and stain removing never tried them but after tring this i will try there other products.

October 31, 2009 Flag

How do I get blue dye out of white clothing?

By gemmano1 from Birmingham

September 1, 2009 Flag

I've just accidentally washed new white tops (which contain slight splashes of color design) with a blue skirt. Now the main body of both white tops are a pale blue! What can I do? Any solutions on how to return the white to it's original brilliant white color?

Mary from Ireland

Answers:

Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

Bleach does work wonderful. I like to try it in the sink with the item of clothing, that way you have control over how much you are using. Very little is actually needed, about 1 Tablespoon for a sink full of water, letting the item soak for about twenty minutes. You don't have to worry about pre-printed items on the t-shirt, it should not lighten it. If this doesn't work, add more bleach to the water, add it to a container with water, and pour into sink away from clothing. Good luck! (08/07/2008)

By ranchhandgirl

Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

Hi,
    I've used Rit Color Remover before and it turns your whites back without using bleach. It can be found in the laundry aisle. The info below came from their website. Best of luck.

Fabric Treatments, don't throw away stained or dingy clothes - save them with RIT Fabric Treatments! RIT Color Remover removes or reduces fabric color before dyeing to a different or lighter color. Also safely removes most stains on whites that have accidentally been washed with colored items.

RIT Rust Remover removes yellow or tan discoloration caused by rusty water, rusty metal, and clay on white fabrics only.

RIT White-Wash whitens solid white fabrics, including hospital uniforms and non-bleachables such as lingerie.

RIT Whitener and Brightener brightens dull whites and colors without chlorine bleach.

(08/07/2008)

By JoAnnDeMom

Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

I would use Oxi-clean. Then I would try something they did years ago, I would lay it flat out in the sunlight. I think my mother used a white sheet to lay them on. The sun will bleach out what the Oxi-clean doesn't get. (08/08/2008)

By SunshineRose

Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

After washing, try putting it outside on the line in the sun. The sun sometimes whitens and bleaches. This may take a few washes and a few days in the sun. (08/08/2008)

By JOAN

Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

Thanks to everyone who offered advice, I'll start with RIT Color Remover and see how it goes, fingers crossed! (08/10/2008)

By Mary from Ireland

Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

Thank you so much. I would've thought hot water and bleach would've destroyed the clothes! My bf bought a new shirt and jeans from an expensive dress store and I threw it on top of a red table cloth I'd forgotten was in the wash machine. I almost died when it came out splattered with red as it was light blue. I tried everything for a week. This definitely worked, thanks a million! (01/01/2009)

By tiannalilly

August 6, 2008 Flag

I have a new sweatshirt that I put in the laundry today and blue dye ran all over into it.

Cathy from Canada

Answers:

Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

Add bleach in the washing machine. It works best if there's color on white clothing! (04/08/2008)

By amanda

November 21, 2007 Flag

Some nice shirts were washed with an item that leaked red dye.

The shirts have been kept moist by soaking in cool water, not dried, while we search for a solution. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Holly from Richardson, TX

Answers:

Getting Red Dye Out of Clothes

I had the same problem a while back. I posted here and the advice that worked best for me was to soak my white shirts in lemon juice. I ran the shirts through wash cycle, then left them to soak overnight. Next morning I ran them through full wash/rinse cycle and they were white again.
    Hope this works for you. Good Luck (08/22/2007)

By Betty

Getting Red Dye Out of Clothes

Rit Dye actually makes a product for this. It is only $2.49 for a bottle and it works great! (I know this because my husband "helped" by doing laundry) (10/16/2007)

By Tiffany Rohe

Getting Red Dye Out of Clothes

My 13 year old was doing her laundry and thought "if I put every thing in at once, it won't take my so long." Well the school team jersey 1/2 polyester and 1/2 cotton blend, White with a thick purple stripe starting at the shoulder doing down to the bottom. gold and purple letters in the front and back. Is now pink, purple and gold due to being washed with a red sweatshirt. It was dried in the dryer and she looks to me on getting this out before the couch sees her. I have tried everything today and can not get it out. Is there a secret I do not know about? Can you please share. It has to be white again.

(b)Editor's Note:(/b) Once it is dried, removing stains is harder. I've had the best results removing bleeding dyes with Oxiclean. Soak the garments in hot water with a good amount of it and let it soak for a while. Hope this helps. (10/26/2007)

By Kim

August 21, 2007 Flag
    Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
    Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsAugust 23, 2012
    Washing Machine
    Cleaning Fabric Dye from Inside a Washer
    Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
    Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
    Sink with hair dye stains
    Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
    Red Hair Dye
    Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 26, 2016 at 12:03:57 AM on 10.0.2.178 in 880 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.