Getting Rid of Ants

Category Ants
Whether you are trying to deter little sugar ants in your kitchen, wood eating carpenter ants or biting fire ants in your backyard, there are a variety of different pest control methods. This is a guide about getting rid of ants.

Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this guide, click to share your own tip!

Ten years of professional extermination: Don't waste your money on ANYTHING at popular retail stores, it's not what works. Those cool looking traps are for you, not the ants. Find a store that specializes in pest control. You don't need a license to buy what I am about to tell you.

The thousands of ants you see everywhere are looking for something they can take back to the queen ant, like an award. They can't take traps or spray. You need to purchase (and in the long run you will come out ahead) granules. I know, it's not exciting and it seems like a waste, but they can carry granules and they will. Just carrying it will kill the worker but slowly, and they will get it to the nest and eventually it will get to the queen and kill her. Eventually, they will disappear as quickly as they showed up.

I think they mean any type of ant poison that has granules, not a liquid bait.

Stop buying expensive bug killers. Get rid of them the easy way! Fill a spray bottle with water and dish soap, and spray them. The soap breaks down the protective outer layer and it kills them in seconds. Best of all, no clean up, no mess, no expense, and it's not toxic to your children or pets!

I heard dawn soap is the best to use is this correct because my front porch is overboiling with little red fire ants. Smh

I kind of paraphrased what I am going to try this year, in the house and also in the garden.

• Three parts vinegar one part water for perimeter of garden.
    Spray the mound if you can find it.
  • Freshly ground pepper in and around the plants in your garden.
  • Ground up chalk.
  • Spray first with vinegar if they are there and then when they are gone sprinkle the ground chalk.
  • Shake out a line of baby powder around the perimeter of the garden. Do not breathe the baby powder in if you can help it.
  • Cornmeal on an anthill will kill them because they can't digest the cornmeal.
  • If you can not kill them, put a jar of honey far away from the house and they will move to be closer to the honey. Watch out for Yogi bear.
  • :)

The honey thing might attract a lot of bees but I might try it. MIGHT.

Source: eHow

Put a pest strip in your vacuum cleaner. (any vacuum cleaner) Pest strips are about $6.00, but every time you vacuum you WILL cut down on ants, spiders, earwigs and who knows what else. It works, really.

By Ardis B.

I am confused about where you put the pest strip and how this works????

photo of ants eating a scrap of onion

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 4

Have ants taken up residence in your home? The kitchen can be a challenging place to get rid of ants since there are so many sources of food. This is a guide about getting rid of ants in your kitchen.

Diatomaceous Earth

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Diatomaceous earth is very effective at killing ants. When ants' exoskeletons come into contact with it, they die. It also is relatively safe for humans and pets, making it an ideal solution for eliminating ants. This page is about using food grade diatomaceous earth for getting rid of ants.

Red ants eating borax.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Getting rid of red ants can be a chore. Depending on where they are, inside or in your yard or garden, will define the method or products you use to get rid of them. This is a guide about getting rid of red ants.

Some ants on a wood floor.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about using cinnamon to deter ants. A common spice that can help keep ants from invading your kitchen.

March of the Sugar Ants

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about getting rid of sugar ants. Sugar ants can take over an area in a very short amount of time. They are an annoyance to have in the house.

Fire Ants

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about getting rid of fire ants. Fire ants are not only annoying when they invade your home or yard, but their bite is also very painful to humans and their pets.

Ant Hill in Forest

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

There are a variety of ways both natural and chemical for getting rid of ant hills. This is a guide about getting rid of ant hills.

I have a wooden house here in Thailand and it is above the ground on wood posts. The ants climb up the posts and enter the house. I have put ant power around the posts, but when it rains it is all gone and in come the ants. I tried petroleum jelly and when it gets hot, it just kind of melts and runs down the posts. I put powder inside the house where I think they are entering, but they always find a way in. Anything that I can put on the posts that won"t wash away when it rains? Thanks.

By Ben

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

I am wondering if you could do something like coat the sticky side of wide tape, like duct tape, or any really tough sticky tape, with the ant powder that you have found effective, and then staple or tack the tape to top of the posts. At the top, it would be less likely to wash away quickly and because it is stuck to the tape, it might last longer. You would have to make sure that the ants couldn't get under the tape. However, maybe the stuff stuck on the tape would not then stick to the ants??? Many substances, like diatomacious earth, need to stick to the ants to deter and kill them. But it might be worth a try. Let us know when you find something that works.

Does anyone know a way to get rid of ants from large areas outdoors? It looks like my new backyard is an ant metropolis! I am looking for ways other than massive chemical warfare.

Best Answer

Tom Baker and other sources have said to give the ants dry grits around their homes and a source of water to drink. When they eat the grits and feed it to the queen ant, and theythen drink some water, the grit expands in their tiny stomachs and explodes.

They are small ants in the house. Every time, when a piece of food is dropped (which is a lot around here), we have two kids, 5 and 15 months these small ants come out of nowhere. Like an army of them! Any ideas? Anything will do.

By phish2 from MI

Best Answer

Take an old lid or two from a bowl of margerine, or frosting. Put some sugar in them, and put them outside. They will eat the sugar and not venture into your house looking for food.

My outdoor lamp post is full of tiny brown ants. They are coming out of the electrical side socket. Not wanting to short out the socket I haven't sprayed. How can I safely treat the socket?

By Susan L

Best Answer

Boric Acid Powder which you can get at any Family Dollar Store for about $2.00 and it kills the ants as well.

Any ideas on how to get rid of ant? The little red ones that are all over the yard and come into the house where ever they want to. I've tried everything and nothing seems to work. We never had them until about 10 years ago and now, as soon as the weather warms up in the spring, we fight them all summer long. I've tried traps, spray, cornmeal, bleach, on and on. It's getting really old.

Best Answer

I would pour boiling water on the red ant hill, be careful not to fall with the pot of boiling water.

Also, I tried raw grits. I would pour about a cup or so on top of the hill. Supposedly they eat the grits & explode. I don't know if that's what happenes, but it works.

Both of these ideas are safe for the environment.

Who has a recipe guaranteed to get rid of ants and their homes?

By Greg

Best Answer

The 20 Mule Team Borax , and "Eggo" , or any Pancake , Waffle syrup , Mix 40% Borax to 60% Eggo syrup , put the sloppy mix on a piece of shiny cardboard box material , and put it anywhere you see a working Ant trail , or group , Just let them Put on The Feedbag , and go home to kill All The rest of Their relatives .

in One day No More Ants , and No Kidding it is The Answer to Brown Ants Anywhere they are .

I have these little ants, so small I can hardly see them. They seem to be red in color. They are all around my house and occasionally get inside. I am using some poison, but it just seems to move them around. Any good solutions to getting rid of them altogether?

By Darrell

Best Answer

I have a post in tips that we just started using and works! I think its in last weeks tip contest. I read an article at my Dr. office went home tried it. Amazed! Now my BF daughter is using it also and no more problems.

Chalk, yes any kind ,color of chalk. Just draw a line around window sills,doors where ever they are getting in. They will not cross over the chalk line. If you have pets you can draw a line around the bowl, they won't cross over it.

A thrityfun member put feedback, I learned it is the way ants breath. The powder can't be tolerated. With chalk no harmful toxins left behind and how easy to just redraw a line if needed. Good luck and try this, works well.

How do you get rid of ants?

By Brandon

Best Answer

I get ants in the house every spring. I use an milk jug lid or something similar put about 1 tsp of sugar, 2 tsp of borax and a little water. Set it down in a hidden area where you have seen the ants. They are attracted to the smell of sugar water and suck it up. They can't digest borax, so they die. Works for me.

I have ants on my front and back porches. I have sprayed ant killer that I bought at Wal-Mart but the ants keep coming back. Please help.

Tarva

Best Answer

I read on another board to use pennyroyal, that ants won't cross it. The poster said she put it on the door frames to keep ants out.

I was told I have acrobat ants on my outdoor fence and on the edge of the roof of my garage; the cost to get rid of them professionally will cost hundreds of dollars! Do any TF members know if I can spray something on them myself, or is this a job for professionally pest services only? Help! Thanks very much.

By Caseye

Best Answer

Early this spring I was bombarded with quite large black ants but not carpenter ants. I tried all the remedies I found such as Diatamacious Earth, baby powder, cinnamon and many others. What worked for me was good old white vinegar and maybe peppermint? I used them about the same time.

I still keep vinegar in spray bottle and every so often take a spraying walk though out the house. Cheaper and it works. I also have wrapped mint gum in all my cupboards.

Bonus is that now most everyone who comes here say how good the house smells. Vinegar is great odor killer as well as seems ants do not like the smell

How do I get rid of big black ants? We call them army ants. I need something that will work inside and outside.

By CNDGS5

Best Answer

Look around for what's attracting them. They usually are looking for wet wood so look for leaks and make repairs.

How can I get rid of ants?

By Faye C.

Best Answer

I had tried every and any suggestion when lat spring I was infested with them. What really worked is using vinegar to wash everything and then using it to spray their trails as well.

Then I had forgotten about my mom's old trick of putting peppermint in her cupboards - she used gum. Just threw it into all her cupboards. When the kids have found and chewed it all throw some more Any kind of spearmint or peppermint gum works and leave it wrapped as it is the smell they don't like, not the gum itself..

How can I get rid of ants coming in the house?

By Sharon R

Best Answer

You have a nest somewhere, maybe in a crack on the outside stairs or somewhere near by. Use everyday table salt to douse the nest or where you see them, they take it back to their nest and kills them. I buy a lot of salt as I have nest all over my yard, I have a acre and they always find there way in. When I find them it's salt to the Rescue!

How long can grease (black house) ants live without going back to the nest?

By Emma B

Best Answer

Take piece of foil and put a mixture of baking soda and powder sugar (about half and half). Ants intestinal tracts are highly acidic and baking soda is a base or basic. So, as we might recall from high school chemistry, a base will neutralize an acid or vice versa. This chemical reaction, among other things, will produce a lot of gas. So the ants are attracted by the powered sugar and in the process of eating the powered sugar also eat

the baking soda, this reacts with their highly acidic intestinal tract, produces lots gas and bursts their intestines.

I have small red ants. They come into the house, and they bite! They do not seem to react to ant traps or ant poisons although diatomaceous earth slows them down!

By John from Midland, Ontario, Canada

Best Answer

I have seen others post this tried and true method. Use chalk to mark around things like water and food dishes for pets, on window sills, along the doors and under the sinks. They love water, so they come in a lot under the sinks, then you think they are behind the stove, etc.

Another idea is they hate the smell of cinnamon, so sprinkling that is a good way of keeping them away. Good lucks.

Every year the ants start coming into my home all spring amd summer, how do I get rid of them?

By Lorraine S

Best Answer

We had ants in an old apartment of ours & read that spraying them & their trails with soap would keep them down & it did work.

How do you get rid of an ant invasion?

By Irene V.

Best Answer

I found this site that tells of a citric acid solution and boric acid, and boiling water and caulking all the holes and other things..spray foam insulation around the water lines are great too. Hope this helps, I have heard ants will not cross over a chalk line, I do not know if this is true.

Here is another bit of advice I found amusing. Most exterminators will tell you it is the water they are attracted to. I think they follow the pipes. You can use some of the spray foam insulation to close off any openings they are coming in through. Here's the best thing I have ever found (and we lived in a house where I tried everything - I thought they were going to carry the house off we had them so bad): mix boric acid with something sweet, like jelly, and spread it on something disposable, like a paper plate. Sit several out in the bathroom, and keep it closed off from pets and kids. Yes you will attract and kill an unbelievable amount, but just resist the urge to clean them up, and leave them overnight. They will be gone the next day, the other aunts will come and carry them back to their home (heard of "army of ants"? Well, they leave no "soldier" behind) The other ants will feed on them, and kill the entire colony out. I did this one time and had no repeat episodes.

Another thing that works to prevent other occasional ants is cinnamon. I sprinkled some between my window screens and windows so nothing comes in if I open my windows, and lightly misted water, so it doesn't blow all over the place, either.

Good luck!

How does jello kill and repel ants?

By Deb from Barstow, CA

Perhaps you were supposed to mix jello with borax, which poisons them. But sugar would be cheaper. I don't think ants need strawberry flavor.

Load More