Getting Rid of Ants in the House

They are small ants in the house. Every time, when a piece of food is dropped (which is a lot around here), we have two kids, 5 and 15 months these small ants come out of nowhere. Like an army of them! Any ideas? Anything will do.

By phish2 from MI

Best Answer

Sprinkle cinnamon around where you have the ants... not harmful although a bit messy. I did this yesterday. There are NO ants in my cupboard this morning, I have heard that uncooked polenta also works. They can't ingest it and they take it back to their nest and die.

Best Answer

I have had a lot of those this year too! The only thing I have found to help is to keep everything completely free of any kind of food. I wipe off everything really well with hot soapy water & they don't seem to like that.

I tried cinnamon, vinegar, sweet & low & all the things that usually work to no avail this year. It's a pain to do but is the only thing I've had work on these this year.

Best Answer

I have had alot of success useing vinegar and Tea Tree Oil in my mop water. I put about 1/2 cup of vinegar and a couple of drops of Tea Tree Oil in a bucket of water to mop with and if I use my steam mop I have the same solution in a spray bottle and spray the floor as I go over it with the steam mop. I have really been please with the success of this since I have in the past been at war with ants.

Best Answer

I found the only thing that really helped keep them out of my cabinets was cayenne pepper. I put some on a tissue or piece of paper & put it in my cabinets. It really worked. I had tried sprays, and several other things and the ants were right back.

I could never tell where they were coming in from, but after I put the Pepper where they had been, they didn't come back. We had a terrible time with them coming in all directions before. Guess the ants do NOT like cayenne pepper. Ha Ha
Mrs Pat. in GA

Best Answer

Take an old lid or two from a bowl of margerine, or frosting. Put some sugar in them, and put them outside. They will eat the sugar and not venture into your house looking for food.

Best Answer

Mix powdered sugar and baking soda. Put mixture in shallow plastic lid, if you can find where the ants are coming in the house, put in that area. If they (the ants) have a "ant trail" put the lid there.

The ants are crazy about sugar and will haul this mixture back to their nest. When they digest this mixture the baking soda will react with their stomach acid and explode and the ants will die. They carry the mixture back to their nests on their feet. It works.