Browsing: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Chipmunks

These striped squirrels can be a challenge to keep out of your garden. This guide is about getting rid of chipmunks.

Getting Rid of Chipmunks
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 31, 2016 Flag

I have a humane trap that I will be using to catch chipmunks that are damaging my landscaping. When should I start trapping them so I do not leave their babies behind? What time of year or month? I live in eastern Pennsylvania near the border of NJ.

Thanks.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sorry-the Havahart chipmunk trapping instructions are at the site below:

http://www.havahart.com/how-to-trap-chipmunks

June 7, 2016 Flag

Chipmunks dig under my decorative rocks and under my mobile home. I had one inside this morning. Between me, an open door, and the cat we got it out. lol I don't want to repeat that. Help!

Chipmunks are part of our natural habitat and were here long before humans arrived to invade their homes. Please do not hurt them!

August 30, 2015 Flag

We have a neighbor who is doing massive renovations around their house. One unintended consequence is that our property is overrun by displaced chipmunks. I began setting out rat traps baited with peanut butter. That worked great for a while, but now that the population explosion is slowing, I find that all the traps are attracting large numbers of ants. The ants seem to discourage the chipmunks from coming over for a snack. I have read of borax/sugar mixes that can be used to control ants. Can I mix some in with the peanut butter? Will it put off the rodents from coming over? How much borax should I use per teaspoon of peanut butter? Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance.

I love these little creatures and feed them. I hate to think of humans killing them. They are low on the food chain as it is with hawks and cats and foxes.

Lilac - Sounds lovely. BUT you obviously have never been overrun by a chipmunk explosion. In my yard they destroy plants an even got into my gas clothes dryer and ruined it. With each chipmunk female having 4-5 babies a year, and predators like hawks and coyote's fewer in numbers, there is a time to take action to control the population

Read More Answers...

August 3, 2009 Flag

Chipmunks! I saw one run into the black drainage tube that's attached to the downspout on the side of my house. There is one on each side of the corner of my house. After it ran up the spout, I took a pair of panty hose, pulled a leg over each end, not real easy, but it worked.

My son-in-law ran water down the spout, then shook the drainage hose and the chipmunk ran half-way down the leg of my panty hose. He picked up the panty hose and threw it in a large can and let the critter loose quite a ways from the house. It was hilarious, seeing my son-in-law holding a chipmunk in a pair of panty hose. I will try it again.

By Linda from Brodhead, WI

November 18, 2010 Flag

When using sunflower seeds to catch chipmunks, do they prefer just the seeds or do they like the shells as well?

By qbpitch

On Sunday I used Zatarain's cayenne pepper on the runs and into the three holes they have made under my porch. Monday there was activity going to one of the holes, but stopped short of the entrance. There was no other activity until today when I found a new entrance. I have put pepper into that hole and will see what happens. I know this will not kill the population, but if it keeps them from going under my porch I will be happy. Hopefully they will get enough of in their eyes and mouth they will not come back.

I feel your pain..need solutions...I'm over populated! What works ?

Read More Answers...

August 24, 2013 Flag

I had a chipmunk hole under a paver sidewalk in the backyard. Some pavers were broken and a chipmunk made a tunnel under them. I removed the broken sidewalk, sprayed Repel red pepper oil down and around his hole and filled in his hole. I thought this would make him vacate that tunnel and make a new one elsewhere. No luck. I put down many inches of paver base and sand and he tunneled right back up. Now my pavers are uneven and wobbly. I don't need the chipmunk gone, but I want him to vacate that tunnel and make a new one away from the pavers. What can I do?

By Jeff

Purchase a product called Repels All. It's a granulated, organic substance that irritates their nasal passages. I guarantee they won't come back after a couple of times. Sprinkle around the entire perimeter of your paver patio. Don't forget to cover your nose when sprinkling Repels All - I've gotten a bloody nose more than once and it always bothers me if I don't cover up. Reapply after a rain. It's important that you kill burrowing chippies because they'll continue to do damage. Revert to setting spring traps or putting poison peanuts down the hole.

Sorry to disagree with Peggy D, but they DO come back with Repels All. They have destroyed my flower gardens, and have now tunneled under my brick patio!! I have put Repels All around their track and into their home but they are still there! I am trying red hot pepper AND a rat trap today! They are destructive!!

September 3, 2012 Flag

How can I eliminate chipmunks running around my roof all night?

By Randy

Chipmunks are diurnal and not active at night. You may need to confirm who is up there.

July 30, 2012 Flag

Do chipmunks come back to where they were trapped even if you take them 4 miles away to release them?

By F.Bannon

I trap them and release them about ten miles away. They don't come back but you can't get rid of them completely only control the population.

November 18, 2010 Flag

How do I set up a 5 gallon water bucket to eliminate chipmunks?

By Steven from MI

Answers:

Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Hello. What do you mean a 5 gallon water bucket? You aren't going to hurt them are you? Please be more specific in your post. Thank you. (10/18/2010)

By K9cats

Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Don't hurt them. They are so cute. Just make sure there isn't anything they like to eat if you don't want them around. Like sunflowers or nut trees. They have enough enemies as it is. Owls, hawks, foxes, etc. all feed on them. (10/18/2010)

By Lilac

Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Ground squirrels/chipmunks, depending on the part of the country you live in. Until you have them get into your house, destroy your home interiors/garages, eat the wires, start the fires, then you can be brave enough to tell people they can't belong to this group.

Personally, we use the live trap with both nuts and apples and vet suggested the demise we use. When the fat old grey squirrel gets in it, we let them back out. When street rats, skunks, sewer rats, rabid things wander into your back yard, do you call for animal control? What do you do when bats join your household? Let them be? Same with the gophers which ate up all we planted in the garden this year, should not the decon have been set out for them? Or we should not have food for the fall/winter months?

The bottom rubber on my new garage door was eaten by them so they could get into the garage. They ate a hole in a wooden cupboard to get in and make a nest--they pulled the insulation off the walls to stuff in there. They get into your car engines, eat the wiring, get into the inner compartments, take care of the seats. I personally am not sending RSVP messages to the mice/rats/skunks/vermin/and anything else. Assuming you keep food in your kitchen cupboards, once they get inside, it is hard for them to keep contained from anything they want. Sort of like the new bedbug rampage. Not in my house you don't!

So, for those who have not the problem and think everyone else should put up with it, not going to happen. As humanely as possible, most of us deal with what we have to. Right down to the mouse in the trap. (10/18/2010)

By TandT Grandma

Getting Rid of Chipmunks

My god! What kind of monster chipmunks do you have in those southern regions! Our chipmunks are cute little things that sit on a pile of firewood and flick their tail at you! Further south, in Sask we have gophers, which are really Richardson's ground squirrels, and they can be quite the nuisance in pastures and I expect, gardens. They like grassland, and so aren't much of a problem here in the parkland/ boreal forest. Red squirrels can be pesky if you get overrun with them.

I still stand by recommendation for mice, cats. I don't have any kind of a rodent problem, and I know my main hunter cat gets squirrels and our little chipmunks, mice and birds who get feeling too smart. (If you don't want to get eaten, don't swoop close to the ground, the cat can't fly!)

Weighing in on debate about the pail of water. I don't think this is a very humane way to get rid of animals that are so numerous as to be pests. Surely someone else has a better method. Or maybe dead is dead. Is it better to drown or be eaten by a cat? (10/19/2010)

By louel53

October 18, 2010 Flag

How can I keep chipmunks from pooping at the entrance to my home?

By bubbieneecie from Cherry Hill, NJ

Answers:

Getting Rid of Chipmunks

What are they eating at that spot? Chipmunks and squirrels usually eat and poop immediately after so they are eating something close by. They like apples, nuts, cherries, berries etc. Take a look around and if you really find the poop disgusting you'll have to remove the food. We have oaks, maples, chokecherries, crab apple trees and leave the fruit for the animals. I love the little guys along with the deer and yes, we do have poop around, but since the trees aren't around the house itself, we don't have an issue with it. The blue jays love to get into the fruit as well and they get drunk on it. Have you ever heard a drunk blue jay? Too funny. :) (09/08/2009)

By quiltmum

Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Put hot pepper sauce all over the place. Critters do not like hot pepper. Good luck. (09/09/2009)

By kffrmw88

Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Place small pieces of bubble gum along their runways. They love it but they cannot digest it. End of story. (09/11/2009)

By vspess

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control Squirrels and ChipmunksAugust 3, 2012
A chipmunk sitting on a brand.
Keeping Chipmunks Out of a Garden
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
iTunes icon on a phone
Getting Rid of Duplicates in iTunes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 8, 2016 at 1:43:31 AM on 10.0.2.235 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.