Getting Rid of Chipmunks

These striped squirrels can be a challenge to keep out of your garden. This guide is about getting rid of chipmunks.

Getting Rid of Chipmunks
Filter Sort

Question: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

By qbpitch 1

When using sunflower seeds to catch chipmunks, do they prefer just the seeds or do they like the shells as well?

By qbpitch

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By no chipmunks 1 1 Flag

On Sunday I used Zatarain's cayenne pepper on the runs and into the three holes they have made under my porch. Monday there was activity going to one of the holes, but stopped short of the entrance. There was no other activity until today when I found a new entrance. I have put pepper into that hole and will see what happens. I know this will not kill the population, but if it keeps them from going under my porch I will be happy. Hopefully they will get enough of in their eyes and mouth they will not come back.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Capture Chipmunks With Panty Hose

By Linda Krueger 1

Chipmunks! I saw one run into the black drainage tube that's attached to the downspout on the side of my house. There is one on each side of the corner of my house. After it ran up the spout, I took a pair of panty hose, pulled a leg over each end, not real easy, but it worked.

My son-in-law ran water down the spout, then shook the drainage hose and the chipmunk ran half-way down the leg of my panty hose. He picked up the panty hose and threw it in a large can and let the critter loose quite a ways from the house. It was hilarious, seeing my son-in-law holding a chipmunk in a pair of panty hose. I will try it again.

By Linda from Brodhead, WI

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Ants in the Chipmunk Traps

By mhathawa 1

We have a neighbor who is doing massive renovations around their house. One unintended consequence is that our property is overrun by displaced chipmunks. I began setting out rat traps baited with peanut butter. That worked great for a while, but now that the population explosion is slowing, I find that all the traps are attracting large numbers of ants. The ants seem to discourage the chipmunks from coming over for a snack. I have read of borax/sugar mixes that can be used to control ants. Can I mix some in with the peanut butter? Will it put off the rodents from coming over? How much borax should I use per teaspoon of peanut butter? Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Kat 7 219 Flag

I would just mix cornmeal with the peanut butter, so the chipmunks won't be put off by a borax smell. Cornmeal is something used to control ants as well, because they cannot digest it so they die. It will take a few days maybe, but you should see a reduction, and the chipmunks will likely continue to take the bait as well.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Chipmunk Burrowing Under Pavers

I had a chipmunk hole under a paver sidewalk in the backyard. Some pavers were broken and a chipmunk made a tunnel under them. I removed the broken sidewalk, sprayed Repel red pepper oil down and around his hole and filled in his hole. I thought this would make him vacate that tunnel and make a new one elsewhere. No luck. I put down many inches of paver base and sand and he tunneled right back up. Now my pavers are uneven and wobbly. I don't need the chipmunk gone, but I want him to vacate that tunnel and make a new one away from the pavers. What can I do?

By Jeff

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Peggy D. 2 Flag

Purchase a product called Repels All. It's a granulated, organic substance that irritates their nasal passages. I guarantee they won't come back after a couple of times. Sprinkle around the entire perimeter of your paver patio. Don't forget to cover your nose when sprinkling Repels All - I've gotten a bloody nose more than once and it always bothers me if I don't cover up. Reapply after a rain. It's important that you kill burrowing chippies because they'll continue to do damage. Revert to setting spring traps or putting poison peanuts down the hole.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Chipmunks on The Roof

By randyredfire 1

How can I eliminate chipmunks running around my roof all night?

By Randy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Carol W. 6 94 Flag

Chipmunks are diurnal and not active at night. You may need to confirm who is up there.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Do chipmunks come back to where they were trapped even if you take them 4 miles away to release them?

By F.Bannon

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Deanj 917 Flag

I trap them and release them about ten miles away. They don't come back but you can't get rid of them completely only control the population.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Rid of Squirrels and Chipmunks

By utterstruth 1

I have tried several "cures" = no improvement. It has gotten severe in the last week: tunnels galore. Help please! There are squirrels, chipmunks, cats, and an occasional mole. There is serious damage to my yards. It used to be only in back, they've now attacked the front yard as well. I will try the red pepper sprinkling, and will report back either way.

By utterstruth

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

I am swamped with chipmunks this summer. They eat my bird seed, dig under cement steps and in general are a problem, although cute little creatures, they have no mercy.

How can I get rid of these stinkers, we have caught a few in a live trap, but most are babies and slip through the sides. I've tried red pepper but it didn't work. I've tried the sticky pads, they walk around them. I've tried vaseline on the bird feeder pole, doesn't stop them either. HELP

Shirl in Wisconsin

Answers:

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

I can tell you like them but enough is enough. They are so cute but I bet they really are pesky when there are a lot of them. I hate to give you my suggestion... but it's the only one I can think of. A kitty cat. My cat caught lots of chipmunks and I'd try to make her let them go but usually failed. I didn't mind at all when she caught mice or vole but... those cute little things. I guess she thought they were all the same. Actually, the chipmunks were really sorta dumb, about cats at least, and it was easy for her to catch them. Maybe a kitty would help you, if you have the heart for it. (07/15/2005)

By Wendee

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Find a Feed store and purchase Wolf or Fox urine. Open the bottle before you leave the counter and make certain still has it's potency. Do not put your nose close to the bottle opening, because this stuff has a VERY strong odor. You will be able to smell it once the cap is off. If you can't smell it (perhaps it has sat on the shelf too long), ask for another bottle. Once you get it home sprinkle a very light trickle around your selected perimeter and you will have no more chipmunks or other little critters. The urine does not harm them, the scent is a natural marking in the wild and they avoid it. Good Luck! (07/15/2005)

By Jessica

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

If you just want to keep them from climbing the bird feeder pole, I have a good remedy that really works. Also keeps squirrels and raccoons out. I feed 'em all, but only the birds can access my feeder. Just remove your feeder from the ground, pole and all. set up a piece of 6 inch pvc pipe (sewer pipe) making sure that it reaches from the ground and fits tightly under the feeder at the top. Then replace the pole inside the pipe. These critters cannot wrap their paws around it to climb up. (07/19/2005)

By Harlean from Arkansas

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Problem in my area is that there is a law against letting cats run wild - if animal control finds them, they're caught and taken to the pound. I like cats too much to let that happen to one of mine... so for me, I guess it's wolf or fox urine... (06/05/2006)

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

I have them running all over my yard. Two have actually gotten into the house. I found a nest under my vinyl siding that pushed the siding out a good 8 inches. I tapped it until all the dirt and styrofoam that they used to make the nest came out. Then I sprayed it with Peppermint oil. They haven't returned there though I'm sure they have an alternate nest close by. I had to nail the last row of siding to the sill to keep them out of the house. (04/05/2007)

By JOENJ

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

I tried the 5 gallon bucket with sunflower seeds. I watched as a squirrel scooped the seeds out. I think I will try the squirrel trap and maybe get rid of those also. (06/05/2007)

By Jeanne

Archive: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Does anyone know how to get rid of chipmunks?

Dottie from Decatur, IL

Feedback:

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

I bought a heart trap and use sunflower seeds as bait to trap them. Then I put the trap in the car and drive about 10 miles away and release them. Now when ever I see one I set the trap. I won't ever get rid of them all but it is a way to control the population. (07/27/2007)

By Dean

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Boy if anything works, let me know. I have been trying for 33 years to get rid of the chipmunks here! Nothing has worked. For a couple of years we did have outside cats, 2, and that really helped, but we are great bird lovers and like to feed the birds now, so baiting in the birds to have a cat around is not something we will do. I tried the traps, they would not even go in them! (07/29/2007)

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Fill a 5 gallon bucket with about 5-6 inches of water then pour in sunflower seeds so the water isn't visible. Place a strip of wood against the side to act as a ramp and place a few seeds on the ramp. As much as I hate killing living creatures, I had to do something quickly. The chipmunks were burrowing in my backyard, front yard, under my wall and near my foundation. They were also in my garage. (10/21/2007)

By Donna

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Unfortunately, chipmunks are very prolific in addition to being destructive. If you've seen one, you've got many. The only thing that has worked for me is rat traps. Several years ago, I was at my wits end with extensive tunnels in the gardens, plants that wouldn't stay in the ground, damaged roots... I couldn't sit on my deck without several scampering by. A cat is out-I'm allergic and I feed birds. The year I began trapping, I caught 35! Bait with crunchy peanut butter and a drop of honey. It works every time and within about 24 hrs. Be sure to place the trap on a hard surface like a sidewalk or deck near the opening of one of their tunnels. If you have children, show them how dangerous the trap is by springing it. (05/22/2008)

By Maryalice

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

There are a number of posts describing the use of a pail of water with sunflower seeds on top. I can attest that this method really does work. Chipmunks can not resist sunflower seeds. They cannot tell there is water underneath the mat of sunflower seeds. The biggest problem I have had is the raiding of the sunflower seeds by squirrels. When the 5 gal pail is about half full, or a bit more, spread enough sunflower seeds on top to cover the surface of the water. I locate the pail next to a step with the top of the pail at the same level of the step. You will likely have to dig a small hole for the pail to be at the level of the step. When chipmunks come by they jump right in generally without hesitation. I put the dead chipmunks in the woods where they disappear within 24 hours. I use a bent coat hanger to find the dead chipmunks at the bottom of the pail. Again, believe me it really does work and you will be able eliminate a whole neighborhood of chipmunks over a summer. (05/31/2008)

By Joe

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

That swimming for chipmunks really works. I caught four the first day. (06/02/2008)

By I.T.W

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

The bucket trap worked for me, the first night out, one less chipmunk for me to deal with. (08/11/2008)

By Joe

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

I tried the bucket method as well. The sunflower seeds float right on top and it doesn't look like there is water in there. The next day when I checked, there were 2 of the varmints on the bottom. I just dumped them out back on the brush pile and filled the bucket up again. It really works. I, too, had the top of the bucket at the same height as the top step. I hated doing it, but when I saw the varmint go into my house-under the siding, I declared War! Reminds me of the movie Caddyshack. Thank God those 2 varmints are gone. (09/19/2008)

By mrmjkinne

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

I have some smart chipmunks and they're huge. They will not swim in the bucket. They walk around the traps. They laugh at the moth balls. The only way I found to get rid of them is to shoot them with a pellet gun. (09/20/2008)

By Kenny N.C.

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

The bucket method works great. I have been over run with chipmunks this past year and they are destroying my yard. I caught 10 or 11 chippies within 30 hours. I was amazed the first time I checked the bucket - I just kept scooping them out of the water. One would think these were lemmings! I even caught one field mouse. I'd like to figure out a way to get the seeds to last longer. After about 24 hours many begin to sink. (10/02/2008)

By kahuna44

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

We too had a problem with chipmunks in the walls of our house, under the porch, and hiding in the down spouts. The 5 gallon bucket method with sunflower seeds really works. We have "removed" four chipmunks. Thanks for the help! (11/02/2008)

By Dave

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks/IN WINTER

Hi. I have chipmunks in the walls of my daughter's room near the garage, will they come into the garage? I live in western NY and it is cold. We hear them all the time. Will they go into the cold bucket if there are seeds there, or do I have to wait for spring? (01/02/2009)

By SHARON L

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

I have put out 2 buckets with 2x4's leading up to the top and put seed on the wood and in the bucket - is the wood supposed to move and drop them in the bucket or does the seed make them jump? (02/10/2009)

By Barb from Alabama

Archive: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

How do I get rid of chipmunks? They have tunnels throughout my yard and I don't want the ground to sink. Any suggestions?

By Mastte from Fleetwood, PA

Feedback:

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

You can use a rat trap, which is like a snap-type mouse trap, only bigger. Bait it with peanut butter and place it on a hard surface, not far from a tunnel.

Havahart and Tomahawk make wire mesh traps if you want to catch them alive. In order for these traps to work you will have to place either nuts, slices of prunes, dry cereal, raisins, or peanut butter on the ground in front of the trap for a couple of days so the chipmunks get use to the trap being there, and get use to finding food in that area. After that, place the food inside the trap. But with this type of trap you could catch other animals that you aren't wanting to catch. (04/16/2009)

By Anonymous

Archive: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

We think at least one or more chipmunks have found their way into our house. We have seen tracks that look like mouse tracks so we put out D-Con. It has gone untouched, so someone said maybe it is chipmunks. Does anyone know any way to get rid of them?

By ame8736 from WI

Feedback:

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

You didn't say if you wanted them dead or alive, but I'm assuming since you used D-con dead is o.k. My suggestion would be a cat. If you don't have one maybe you could rescue one from a shelter or borrow one from a neighbor or family member. I wish I lived closer, I have many I could give you but don't have any chipmunks, lol! (08/06/2009)

By skb123

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

I assume they are in the attic of your home. If so, go to an old fashioned feed and seed store and buy a small vial of fox urine. You may want to call ahead to make sure they stock it.

Dab a little bit on cotton balls and place them in the attic near the tracks. Squirrels and chipmunks will go away because they smell a fox. (08/06/2009)

By txcatlover

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Set up a cage with peanut butter. (08/10/2009)

By lilc800

Archive: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

How can I keep chipmunks from pooping at the entrance to my home?

By bubbieneecie from Cherry Hill, NJ

Feedback:

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

What are they eating at that spot? Chipmunks and squirrels usually eat and poop immediately after so they are eating something close by. They like apples, nuts, cherries, berries etc. Take a look around and if you really find the poop disgusting you'll have to remove the food. We have oaks, maples, chokecherries, crab apple trees and leave the fruit for the animals. I love the little guys along with the deer and yes, we do have poop around, but since the trees aren't around the house itself, we don't have an issue with it. The blue jays love to get into the fruit as well and they get drunk on it. Have you ever heard a drunk blue jay? Too funny. :) (09/08/2009)

By quiltmum

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Put hot pepper sauce all over the place. Critters do not like hot pepper. Good luck. (09/09/2009)

By kffrmw88

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Place small pieces of bubble gum along their runways. They love it but they cannot digest it. End of story. (09/11/2009)

By vspess

Archive: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

How do I set up a 5 gallon water bucket to eliminate chipmunks?

By Steven from MI

Feedback:

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Hello. What do you mean a 5 gallon water bucket? You aren't going to hurt them are you? Please be more specific in your post. Thank you. (10/18/2010)

By K9cats

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Don't hurt them. They are so cute. Just make sure there isn't anything they like to eat if you don't want them around. Like sunflowers or nut trees. They have enough enemies as it is. Owls, hawks, foxes, etc. all feed on them. (10/18/2010)

By Lilac

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Ground squirrels/chipmunks, depending on the part of the country you live in. Until you have them get into your house, destroy your home interiors/garages, eat the wires, start the fires, then you can be brave enough to tell people they can't belong to this group.

Personally, we use the live trap with both nuts and apples and vet suggested the demise we use. When the fat old grey squirrel gets in it, we let them back out. When street rats, skunks, sewer rats, rabid things wander into your back yard, do you call for animal control? What do you do when bats join your household? Let them be? Same with the gophers which ate up all we planted in the garden this year, should not the decon have been set out for them? Or we should not have food for the fall/winter months?

The bottom rubber on my new garage door was eaten by them so they could get into the garage. They ate a hole in a wooden cupboard to get in and make a nest--they pulled the insulation off the walls to stuff in there. They get into your car engines, eat the wiring, get into the inner compartments, take care of the seats. I personally am not sending RSVP messages to the mice/rats/skunks/vermin/and anything else. Assuming you keep food in your kitchen cupboards, once they get inside, it is hard for them to keep contained from anything they want. Sort of like the new bedbug rampage. Not in my house you don't!

So, for those who have not the problem and think everyone else should put up with it, not going to happen. As humanely as possible, most of us deal with what we have to. Right down to the mouse in the trap. (10/18/2010)

By TandT Grandma

RE: Getting Rid of Chipmunks

My god! What kind of monster chipmunks do you have in those southern regions! Our chipmunks are cute little things that sit on a pile of firewood and flick their tail at you! Further south, in Sask we have gophers, which are really Richardson's ground squirrels, and they can be quite the nuisance in pastures and I expect, gardens. They like grassland, and so aren't much of a problem here in the parkland/ boreal forest. Red squirrels can be pesky if you get overrun with them.

I still stand by recommendation for mice, cats. I don't have any kind of a rodent problem, and I know my main hunter cat gets squirrels and our little chipmunks, mice and birds who get feeling too smart. (If you don't want to get eaten, don't swoop close to the ground, the cat can't fly!)

Weighing in on debate about the pail of water. I don't think this is a very humane way to get rid of animals that are so numerous as to be pests. Surely someone else has a better method. Or maybe dead is dead. Is it better to drown or be eaten by a cat? (10/19/2010)

By louel53

Home and Garden Pest Control Squirrels and ChipmunksAugust 3, 2012
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    A chipmunk sitting on a brand.
    Keeping Chipmunks Out of a Garden
    Closeup of a gopher.
    Getting Rid of Gophers
    Closeup of green bodied house fly.
    Getting Rid of Flies
    iTunes icon on a phone
    Getting Rid of Duplicates in iTunes
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 6, 2016 at 10:26:50 AM on 10.0.2.65 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings