Getting Rid of Chipmunks

When using sunflower seeds to catch chipmunks, do they prefer just the seeds or do they like the shells as well?

By qbpitch

I use sunflower seeds in a havaheart trap.

What are you going to do with them after you catch them. What if you catch one that has babies in the nest. Why don't you like them? They are harmless.

Please do not hurt them. They are very family oriented and do no harm. If you will sit back and enjoy them it would make you a better person.

Please do not trap them. They are harmless and may have a family near by that needs them to survive.

Unless you have had the infestation issue of rodents and the helplessness of what to do, you don't get any brownie points with the LEAVE THEM ALONE. I posted back in October 2010 with suggestions that others who deal with rodents also had good suggestions. Check out those posts.

Are you peolpe serious? Yes chipmunks are cute little animals when they are outside! We have had on going problems with them coming in and eating our wires, eating food in the cabinets, chewing holes everywhere!! These little devils even had the nerve to eat threw my $2,500 couch! That was the last straw! They gotta go!!! I'm totally against killing things I don't have too and I have traps out to try to catch them the right way and release them away from my house, But the wildlife guy said they'll probably return! So If they do there not gonna like my other method! Until you guys who say don't kill these "harmless" animals. Have them in your house raising cain your words mean nothing! And to everyone who has this problem I feel your pain! Good luck! :)

Anonymous

I feel your pain..need solutions...I'm over populated! What works ?

I also have a chipmunk problem. I have them in my attic and in my flower beds. They are digging holes along our foundation and around plants. Today I was told to use ammonia, moth balls or rat decon. If using decon, be prepared to deal with dead chipmunks. If you decide to go with a catch release method be sure you release at least 60 miles away. Not sure if these methods work but I went and bought ammonia this evening.

They are not harmless, they are rodents that cause massive amounts of damage to property. They also carry disease.

On Sunday I used Zatarain's cayenne pepper on the runs and into the three holes they have made under my porch. Monday there was activity going to one of the holes, but stopped short of the entrance. There was no other activity until today when I found a new entrance. I have put pepper into that hole and will see what happens. I know this will not kill the population, but if it keeps them from going under my porch I will be happy. Hopefully they will get enough of in their eyes and mouth they will not come back.

Our Airedale was the best defense against chipmunks, they totally deserted our back yard after loosing too many of their ranks.