Getting Rid of Lady Bugs

These insects can be a nuisance in some parts of the country. This guide is about getting rid of lady bugs.

Getting Rid of Lady Bugs
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 7, 2005 Flag

I just went in to wake up my 14 month old from her nap. I opened her blinds and was shocked to see 16 ladybugs all over her window. I live in the mid-atlantic region where it has been cold, but we are having a few days of warm weather. Does anybody have ideas how to rid of these nasty bugs that will not harm my children? My 4 year old wants to keep them as pets! Thanks!

Karen

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

These are not Lady Bugs these are called asian beetles, nothing will actually keep them out. When it warms up they show back up. They do smell bad and will bite, but they arent venomous. You can vacuum them up but make sure that you kill them before emptying the vacuum.

Best Answer

Hello there!! Just wanted to post and say....ladybugs the one's we remember as the "good guys" are reddish in color.

The ones that stink and bite and are showing up all over the place on warm days are orange in color and are the Asian variety. They are not the aphid eating ones we would like to have in our gardens :(

Read More Answers...

April 21, 2000 Flag

Would anyone know how to get rid of ladybugs? At first I thought they were so pretty, but they have infested my walls and ceilings. I live in the country, but the windows were closed all winter.

Thank you.
Gertrude

Best Answer

OK. I know Ladybugs are beneficial. I know they eat aphids. I now they are a great alternative to pesticides in the garden. Blah blah blah....I HATE THEM!! For those of you who say they aren't a problem and they will just hide in the sashes till spring. Or those who say to just "seal" up your house so they don't get in. To those who think a "few" lady bugs can be tolerated...you have NO IDEA what some of us are going through. Maybe you have 20 or 30 cute little bugs walking around in your house....but when fall comes I have MILLIONS all over my house. They are so thick you can't even see through them on the windows and walls outside. Seal the house up?? Sure...but when you open the door to go out or come in from outside hundreds fly in as soon as the door opens. They are in my bed, in my food, in my shower and in the closets and drawers with my clothing. I have a garden and a small farm. I get my water from a well. I undersdtand about chemicals and pesticides in the ground water and around my animals and children...but I kill these PESTS every chance I get and by any means necessary. In the fall when they first gather I use a pump sprayer and a strong pesticide and spray several times a day the outside walls of our house. The bugs pile up in heaps at the base of the house...but new ones replace those and I spray em again. Once again....if you think they are "cute" and "lucky" and "nice to have around" then you don't have a clue as to what some of us are talking about.

Editor's Note: Here is a good article about them and controlling them: http://www.thebeneficialinsectco.com/help/asian-lady-beetles.htm

Best Answer

You people don't understand they fly in your food while eating in your coffee pot and end up in your coffee. Needless to say the rest. I was sitting at the table eating dinner and one flew in my plate. Yummy! NOT. And like someone else said these are not lady bugs. They are Asian beettes and they are in my house by the thousands also. I guess I will just start trying stuff and let everyone know my progress. Best wishes to my self. I will start with the recipe given as

1/2 cup water

1 Tbs. vinegar

1 squirt dish soap

1 Tbs. sugar

Place in a milk jug near infestation.

I will give it a week and come back and post.

Read More Answers...

April 16, 2010 Flag

I found ladybugs in my spare room. Where did they come from and how do I get rid of them? Also what causes that?

By Sharon from East Hampton, NY

Best Answer

What people call the "Asian Beetle" is just a another type of ladybug, just one imported from Asia, actually a better aphid eater than our native species. They got into the attic before the weather got cold to wait out the cold and now with Spring arriving have gotten active and some are finding their way inside, probably through the ceiling light fixtures. Not a lot to do to stop them for this year.

You can apply a residual insecticide in the window sills that will kill them as they fly towards the light. Using the extension hose of the vacuum is the easiest way to catch and remove them. The release an odor that will ruin the vacuum so securing an old stocking on the hose will act as a filter keeping them out of the vacuum interior. In the summer try to seal and caulk area they can gain access into the walls and attic of the structure.

Treating the exterior of the home in late summer with a pyrethroid based insecticide will reduce their numbers trying to hibernate. (22 years doing pest control)

Best Answer

A black lite. It attracts them they get in the lite and it kills them. Be sure to check it often it will fill up fast. Just lay it down facing up. It works.

Read More Answers...

May 5, 2016 Flag

How do I get rid of ladybugs?

January 11, 2005 Flag

How can you tell the difference between regular lady bugs and the asian lady beetle?

Megan

Best Answer

I haven't found how to tell the difference except that if they are not red (orange or red orange), they are definitely the Asian Lady Beetles. Even if they are red, they can be. Short of counting their spots, it might be a problem to tell the difference. They are beneficial like domestic ladybugs but can be pesky in the winter. Here's a good article about them and why they want to cluster on the walls of homes:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/br/lbeetle/

Susan from ThriftyFun

Best Answer

You'll notice on the Asian lady beetles that the legs are a more of a red color where as on the ladybug, the legs are black.

Read More Answers...

April 1, 2014 Flag

I have been in my room and I have been finding ladybugs in the strangest places. My dad thinks that they are coming from the attic, but I have no patience anymore! I need help to try to get them out of my room.

By Jessica

Best Answer

I know lady bugs LOVE and feed on Caragana trees. They eat the aphids (green bugs). If you find a tree nearby they will all leave together. It's like they have a call and just pick up and leave! Fascinating. But the chance of having that tree nearby is probably slim? Hope it can help.?

October 26, 2014 Flag

I live on the 12th floor and I have lady bugs in my apartment. How can I get them out of my apt.?

By Sandra

Sweep them up. How many could you have?

How many can there be??? Are you kidding? If like me there can be thousands. Maybe not that quite that many but I have collected over 250 during the Month of December. Yes I have a really bad infestation, and it get worse each year. I really don't mind them all that much as they don't do much other then crawl around, but they are amazing at much they multiply. The best way I have found to get rid of them is to use a shop vac or any other powerful vacuum. It is really much more effective if it has one of the narrowing nozzles so that the suction is increased. These little guys can really hang on and when you attempt to suck them up they flatten themselves to the surface and are really hard to dislodge.

January 25, 2015 Flag

I recently moved in to a new two story house. It's not that old, and it has white sidings. Inside the house the walls are a light colored. When I moved in all but 4 windows had this plastic shrink wrap on to help keep the heat in.

I have noticed more and more lady bugs everyday. I have tried vacuuming them and other things, but nothing works. I live in northwest Ohio. Ladybugs are common, but I have never seen them this bad.

By Natalie

Ladybugs are completely harmless to humans and most animals. Actually, ladybugs are very beneficial to humans as they love to eat aphids, indoor and outdoor plant destroyers. They hibernate in the winter and are attracted to the light and warmth for a winter home. They sometimes choose your house for their winter stay because your house is often a light color and, of course, warm in winter.

You can remove the ladybugs without harm simply by carefully placing them in a paper bag and leaving the open bag outside. Unfortunately, once they have chosen a particular winter home, they often return to that same winter home in following years so you may meet their decendants next year, and the following years.

April 14, 2013 Flag

I live in the northeast and I am curious to know if anyone else is having a problem with ladybugs. For the past five years I have been inundated with them in the fall season. Now I am noticing them in the start of the spring season. In the fall they are all over my screens, siding on house, windows, and they get into the house and crawl over textured ceiling. Someone told me they liked the color yellow which is the color of my house. They don't bother my neighbors on either side of me.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can control them? I know that generally speaking ladybugs are great for eating other insects, but this is ridiculous. They are all over the inside of my house. Help!

By Cindy S.

Please be happy that you have the ladybugs and not a more worrisome type bothering you. In my state several years ago they released ladybugs to help control the insect population. They did such a good job of that! It became so bad they released an alien looking bug called stink bugs. They are the worst! They get into everything and cling to whatever it is. You can't shake them off. They sneak into your home and buzz by your head. You can't smash them or you have an awful smell. I pick them up with a piece of tissue and flush them. Last year we had a yard sale and they were into every item and in all the boxes. They get into the pockets of clothing, into socks, into purses, and everything. I'll take the ladybugs any day.

March 10, 2011 Flag

Who has problems with Asian beetles/ladybugs? They are annoying. How do you handle the problem? Thanks for your help.

By Trudy

I don't have a way to keep those bugs from getting in but one year my house was getting infested with them. I had to vacuum the floor, walls, ceilings, window panes, the openings in the ceilings fans, etc., etc., make sure when you empty out your vacuum cleaner you do it outside as they usually are not dead and can fly back onto everything-including your clothes.

Good luck.

March 28, 2006 Flag

My husband saw a commercial for Natural cures that said that Lavender oil with vinegar can be used to rid the home of Lady bugs (beetles) and now the ever present Box Elder beetles. Did he hear right and if so what is the recipe?

Thanks

Pat from Waldo, WI

hi i have the ladybugs also. i have sprayed my windows on the outside with soapy water, like dish water. yes i do think that helped but then it rained and i did not do it again. i am planning on sealing up all of my screens. then i am washing the entire window area including the blindes. i hope that stops them.

did the lavender oil and vinegar for the box elder bugs work? what is the recipe?

March 10, 2011 Flag

How do I get rid of ladybugs? Our house gets invaded with zillions of them when the weather is hot, inside and outside of our home. It's extremely annoying.

By Trudy from Trout Run

Answers:

Getting Rid of Ladybugs

Are you sure they are ladybugs. This is an area that gets Japanese beetles every year. You could tape your doors and windows shut and they still find a way in. They are harmless and will eventually stop coming. Sweep them up and take them outside. (03/25/2010)

By knitter926

April 16, 2010 Flag

We just moved in our new house in August. And it is nearly the end of October and our house has been taken over by a form of ladybugs. I am going crazy, from the time I wake up til the time I go to bed I am constantly dragging the vacuum up and down the stairs. I have been vacuuming them away constantly. It seems to work, but every time I think I got them all, along comes another batch. Any ideas or proven remedies? Please help.

By Robin from Burgettstown, PA

Answers:

How can I get rid of lady bugs in my house?

Insect repellent spray bombs placed a few yards apart in the crawl space under the house worked for us. What few did come in, I was able to control using PineSol and water in a jar with screw top lid. My vac was not needed to get these insects which leave an odor that can cause health problems. Do a Google search and you can learn about that. (10/23/2009)

By Lorelei

If the ladybugs you are talking about are more of an orangish color instead of red, they are an Asian ladybug, and they are a seasonal problem here in the northeast. They come out in the late fall, and they will go away when the weather gets cold. What we do is vacuum them up where ever we find them, but if they're a huge problem, you could try using an insect bomb in your house. Just make sure you follow the directions on the can very carefully. (10/24/2009)

By Patty Lynn

Click on the link and read the heading, "Abstract" to get the scoop on health issues concerning these Asian beetles.
    The odor they loose in a vacuum is offensive.

ipm.osu.edu (10/24/2009)

By Lorelei

There is a spray called Home Defense (we get it at the local lumber yard) that works wonders. You spray around the outside of your house foundation and around the windows and any other openings. This really helps keep them out. If an occasional one does get in it doesn't live long after crossing the spray line. (10/27/2009)

By starxmn

I have a few in my house, too. They seem to congregate by my lights. So I take a cup and a card or newspaper, flip them into the cup and cover it. Once you get a few in there, open a window and shake the cup so they fly out.

They can fly in when you are simply walking into your home. They are small so its hard to notice. I seem to catch 7-10 every day and set them free again.

A few years ago we had a huge amount so hubby just opened the windows and they flew out themselves. If it is a day that its a little warmer then it is also a great way to freshen the air in your home too. (11/16/2009)

By dvg

Gee, don't kill the lady bugs. They are an excellent clean up crew for the garden. Gently pick them up and take them outside. They are probably trying to get out of your house, too. (11/16/2009)

By sabrinadog

I just heard about this last night on the radio. It was suggested that a light box can be used since they are attracted to the light and then they can be transported all at once to the great outdoors away from the house. I'm not sure of where to get a light box at. Here's a website that may help:
    For more detailed information on ladybugs, visit the Ladybug Lady's website: ladybuglady.com.

You could also use a "shop vacuum". This type of vacuum is easy to use for collecting ladybugs. When using this to vacuum up ladybugs, use a clean bag or pad the bottom with a cloth. After all are cleaned up at one time, release the unwelcome guests outside. Hope something helps. (11/16/2009)

By dbleoangel

March 23, 2010 Flag

How do you get rid of ladybugs?

December 7, 2009 Flag

Does anyone know what can be used to get rid of Ladybugs? I am especially interested in something that does not involve chemicals since we have a 2 year old in the house.

Load More
    Home and Garden Pest Control BugsSeptember 5, 2012
    Ladybug on a blade of grass
    Lady Bug Photos and Information
    Asian Beetles
    Getting Rid of Asian Beetles
    Smashed bugs on front of car
    Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
    Removing Bugs from Your Car
    Removing Bugs from Your Car
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 26, 2016 at 12:04:02 PM on 10.0.0.25 in 677 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.