Getting Rid of Lady Bugs

These insects can be a nuisance in some parts of the country. This guide is about getting rid of lady bugs.

February 7, 2005 Flag

I just went in to wake up my 14 month old from her nap. I opened her blinds and was shocked to see 16 ladybugs all over her window. I live in the mid-atlantic region where it has been cold, but we are having a few days of warm weather. Does anybody have ideas how to rid of these nasty bugs that will not harm my children? My 4 year old wants to keep them as pets! Thanks!

Karen

Best Answer

I live in Indiana now, and there were thousands of them around here!! Yes, they stink and bite. I have had them in my bed, and of course, that grosses me out. Crazy, I know, but I spray vinegar on my bed when that happens, and it seems to help. Vinegar is anti-bacterial too.

My friends in Kentucky have them too, so they must be acrosss the country!

Best Answer

These are not Lady Bugs these are called asian beetles, nothing will actually keep them out. When it warms up they show back up. They do smell bad and will bite, but they arent venomous. You can vacuum them up but make sure that you kill them before emptying the vacuum.

Best Answer

April 21, 2000 Flag

Would anyone know how to get rid of ladybugs? At first I thought they were so pretty, but they have infested my walls and ceilings. I live in the country, but the windows were closed all winter.

Thank you.
Gertrude

Best Answer

Here's a great online resource with information about ladybugs.

Helpful Reader

Best Answer

OK. I know Ladybugs are beneficial. I know they eat aphids. I now they are a great alternative to pesticides in the garden. Blah blah blah....I HATE THEM!! For those of you who say they aren't a problem and they will just hide in the sashes till spring. Or those who say to just "seal" up your house so they don't get in. To those who think a "few" lady bugs can be tolerated...you have NO IDEA what some of us are going through. Maybe you have 20 or 30 cute little bugs walking around in your house....but when fall comes I have MILLIONS all over my house. They are so thick you can't even see through them on the windows and walls outside. Seal the house up?? Sure...but when you open the door to go out or come in from outside hundreds fly in as soon as the door opens. They are in my bed, in my food, in my shower and in the closets and drawers with my clothing. I have a garden and a small farm. I get my water from a well. I undersdtand about chemicals and pesticides in the ground water and around my animals and children...but I kill these PESTS every chance I get and by any means necessary. In the fall when they first gather I use a pump sprayer and a strong pesticide and spray several times a day the outside walls of our house. The bugs pile up in heaps at the base of the house...but new ones replace those and I spray em again. Once again....if you think they are "cute" and "lucky" and "nice to have around" then you don't have a clue as to what some of us are talking about.

Editor's Note: Here is a good article about them and controlling them: http://www.thebeneficialinsectco.com/help/asian-lady-beetles.htm

Best Answer

April 16, 2010 Flag

I found ladybugs in my spare room. Where did they come from and how do I get rid of them? Also what causes that?

By Sharon from East Hampton, NY

Best Answer

Are you talking about lady bugs or Asian beetles? A big difference! You do not want to allow Asian beetles inside as they will take over by the hundreds! Buy an insecticide called "Bug Stop" and spray it around all your windows and sills at the first sign of them attacking your house in October. It will help the infestation and is residual for 9 months. These beetles will be out again in the spring and crawling all over your counters, windows, beds, etc.

To get rid of the ones inside: Double duct tape back on itself and touch the sticky side to the beetle. They cannot get loose and as long as their wings are stuck to the tape, they will not emit the terrible smell.

For those on the ceilings, have someone make a "T" shaped pole from some wood and attach the duct tape to the top of the T, again doubled back on itself so one side sticks to the pole and the top side is also sticky. Simply reach up with the pole and capture the bug.

Vacuuming is ugly, as they will smell each time the vac is turned on, plus they can crawl out of the wand.

The Asian beetles were imported by our government in the 1940's as a "natural" control for farmer's aphids on soy bean plants. However, there is no enemy of the beetles and they have multiplied by the millions and are traveling west. You are very lucky if you live in a large city where they are not prevalent due to no soy bean fields nearby.

Incidentally, they swarm to our homes, especially two story like ours, because in their natural habitat, they winter over in cliffs. Our homes are like cliffs to them.

They are not beneficial lady bugs. Do not let them loose outside once you catch them. Destroy them immediately. They will die on the duct tape or can be captured with a wet tissue and rolled up if duct tape is not handy. The wet tissue keeps them from emitting the terrible smell.

Best Answer

What people call the "Asian Beetle" is just a another type of ladybug, just one imported from Asia, actually a better aphid eater than our native species. They got into the attic before the weather got cold to wait out the cold and now with Spring arriving have gotten active and some are finding their way inside, probably through the ceiling light fixtures. Not a lot to do to stop them for this year.

You can apply a residual insecticide in the window sills that will kill them as they fly towards the light. Using the extension hose of the vacuum is the easiest way to catch and remove them. The release an odor that will ruin the vacuum so securing an old stocking on the hose will act as a filter keeping them out of the vacuum interior. In the summer try to seal and caulk area they can gain access into the walls and attic of the structure.

Treating the exterior of the home in late summer with a pyrethroid based insecticide will reduce their numbers trying to hibernate. (22 years doing pest control)

Best Answer

January 11, 2005 Flag

How can you tell the difference between regular lady bugs and the asian lady beetle?

Megan

Best Answer

I haven't found how to tell the difference except that if they are not red (orange or red orange), they are definitely the Asian Lady Beetles. Even if they are red, they can be. Short of counting their spots, it might be a problem to tell the difference. They are beneficial like domestic ladybugs but can be pesky in the winter. Here's a good article about them and why they want to cluster on the walls of homes:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/br/lbeetle/

Susan from ThriftyFun

Best Answer

You'll notice on the Asian lady beetles that the legs are a more of a red color where as on the ladybug, the legs are black.

May 5, 2016 Flag

How do I get rid of ladybugs?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Why would you want to? They're extremely benefical. "Most ladybugs voraciously consume plant-eating insects, such as aphids, and in doing so they help to protect crops. Ladybugs lay hundreds of eggs in the colonies of aphids and other plant-eating pests. When they hatch, the ladybug larvae immediately begin to feed." Check Google for more information.

April 1, 2014 Flag

I have been in my room and I have been finding ladybugs in the strangest places. My dad thinks that they are coming from the attic, but I have no patience anymore! I need help to try to get them out of my room.

By Jessica

Best Answer

I know lady bugs LOVE and feed on Caragana trees. They eat the aphids (green bugs). If you find a tree nearby they will all leave together. It's like they have a call and just pick up and leave! Fascinating. But the chance of having that tree nearby is probably slim? Hope it can help.?

October 26, 2014 Flag

I live on the 12th floor and I have lady bugs in my apartment. How can I get them out of my apt.?

By Sandra

Sweep them up. How many could you have?

How many can there be??? Are you kidding? If like me there can be thousands. Maybe not that quite that many but I have collected over 250 during the Month of December. Yes I have a really bad infestation, and it get worse each year. I really don't mind them all that much as they don't do much other then crawl around, but they are amazing at much they multiply. The best way I have found to get rid of them is to use a shop vac or any other powerful vacuum. It is really much more effective if it has one of the narrowing nozzles so that the suction is increased. These little guys can really hang on and when you attempt to suck them up they flatten themselves to the surface and are really hard to dislodge.

January 25, 2015 Flag

I recently moved in to a new two story house. It's not that old, and it has white sidings. Inside the house the walls are a light colored. When I moved in all but 4 windows had this plastic shrink wrap on to help keep the heat in.

I have noticed more and more lady bugs everyday. I have tried vacuuming them and other things, but nothing works. I live in northwest Ohio. Ladybugs are common, but I have never seen them this bad.

By Natalie

Ladybugs are completely harmless to humans and most animals. Actually, ladybugs are very beneficial to humans as they love to eat aphids, indoor and outdoor plant destroyers. They hibernate in the winter and are attracted to the light and warmth for a winter home. They sometimes choose your house for their winter stay because your house is often a light color and, of course, warm in winter.

You can remove the ladybugs without harm simply by carefully placing them in a paper bag and leaving the open bag outside. Unfortunately, once they have chosen a particular winter home, they often return to that same winter home in following years so you may meet their decendants next year, and the following years.

March 10, 2011 Flag

Who has problems with Asian beetles/ladybugs? They are annoying. How do you handle the problem? Thanks for your help.

By Trudy

I don't have a way to keep those bugs from getting in but one year my house was getting infested with them. I had to vacuum the floor, walls, ceilings, window panes, the openings in the ceilings fans, etc., etc., make sure when you empty out your vacuum cleaner you do it outside as they usually are not dead and can fly back onto everything-including your clothes.

Good luck.

I have a huge infestation of them. They are awful. I have woken up with small bites. Those little buggers bite. They're an orangish red, I honestly have been flicking them off anything they climb on. I feel them crawling on me even when I'm at work lol my boyfriend thinks I am going crazy. I can't stand them, they're not pretty I think they're useless.

April 14, 2013 Flag

I live in the northeast and I am curious to know if anyone else is having a problem with ladybugs. For the past five years I have been inundated with them in the fall season. Now I am noticing them in the start of the spring season.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control BugsSeptember 5, 2012
Ladybug on a blade of grass
Lady Bug Photos and Information
Asian Beetles
Getting Rid of Asian Beetles
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car
🎄