Getting Rid of Lady Bugs

Category Bugs
These insects can be a nuisance in some parts of the country. This guide is about getting rid of lady bugs.

I just went in to wake up my 14 month old from her nap. I opened her blinds and was shocked to see 16 ladybugs all over her window. I live in the mid-atlantic region where it has been cold, but we are having a few days of warm weather. Does anybody have ideas how to rid of these nasty bugs that will not harm my children? My 4 year old wants to keep them as pets! Thanks!

Karen

Best Answer

I live in Indiana now, and there were thousands of them around here!! Yes, they stink and bite. I have had them in my bed, and of course, that grosses me out. Crazy, I know, but I spray vinegar on my bed when that happens, and it seems to help. Vinegar is anti-bacterial too.

My friends in Kentucky have them too, so they must be acrosss the country!

Best Answer

These are not Lady Bugs these are called asian beetles, nothing will actually keep them out. When it warms up they show back up. They do smell bad and will bite, but they arent venomous. You can vacuum them up but make sure that you kill them before emptying the vacuum.

Would anyone know how to get rid of ladybugs? At first I thought they were so pretty, but they have infested my walls and ceilings. I live in the country, but the windows were closed all winter.

Thank you.
Gertrude

Best Answer

Here's a great online resource with information about ladybugs.

Helpful Reader

Best Answer

OK. I know Ladybugs are beneficial. I know they eat aphids. I now they are a great alternative to pesticides in the garden. Blah blah blah....I HATE THEM!! For those of you who say they aren't a problem and they will just hide in the sashes till spring. Or those who say to just "seal" up your house so they don't get in. To those who think a "few" lady bugs can be tolerated...you have NO IDEA what some of us are going through. Maybe you have 20 or 30 cute little bugs walking around in your house....but when fall comes I have MILLIONS all over my house. They are so thick you can't even see through them on the windows and walls outside. Seal the house up?? Sure...but when you open the door to go out or come in from outside hundreds fly in as soon as the door opens. They are in my bed, in my food, in my shower and in the closets and drawers with my clothing. I have a garden and a small farm. I get my water from a well. I undersdtand about chemicals and pesticides in the ground water and around my animals and children...but I kill these PESTS every chance I get and by any means necessary. In the fall when they first gather I use a pump sprayer and a strong pesticide and spray several times a day the outside walls of our house. The bugs pile up in heaps at the base of the house...but new ones replace those and I spray em again. Once again....if you think they are "cute" and "lucky" and "nice to have around" then you don't have a clue as to what some of us are talking about.

Editor's Note: Here is a good article about them and controlling them: http://www.theb  lady-beetles.htm

I found ladybugs in my spare room. Where did they come from and how do I get rid of them? Also what causes that?

By Sharon from East Hampton, NY

Best Answer

Are you talking about lady bugs or Asian beetles? A big difference! You do not want to allow Asian beetles inside as they will take over by the hundreds! Buy an insecticide called "Bug Stop" and spray it around all your windows and sills at the first sign of them attacking your house in October. It will help the infestation and is residual for 9 months. These beetles will be out again in the spring and crawling all over your counters, windows, beds, etc.

To get rid of the ones inside: Double duct tape back on itself and touch the sticky side to the beetle. They cannot get loose and as long as their wings are stuck to the tape, they will not emit the terrible smell.

For those on the ceilings, have someone make a "T" shaped pole from some wood and attach the duct tape to the top of the T, again doubled back on itself so one side sticks to the pole and the top side is also sticky. Simply reach up with the pole and capture the bug.

Vacuuming is ugly, as they will smell each time the vac is turned on, plus they can crawl out of the wand.

The Asian beetles were imported by our government in the 1940's as a "natural" control for farmer's aphids on soy bean plants. However, there is no enemy of the beetles and they have multiplied by the millions and are traveling west. You are very lucky if you live in a large city where they are not prevalent due to no soy bean fields nearby.

Incidentally, they swarm to our homes, especially two story like ours, because in their natural habitat, they winter over in cliffs. Our homes are like cliffs to them.

They are not beneficial lady bugs. Do not let them loose outside once you catch them. Destroy them immediately. They will die on the duct tape or can be captured with a wet tissue and rolled up if duct tape is not handy. The wet tissue keeps them from emitting the terrible smell.

Best Answer

What people call the "Asian Beetle" is just a another type of ladybug, just one imported from Asia, actually a better aphid eater than our native species. They got into the attic before the weather got cold to wait out the cold and now with Spring arriving have gotten active and some are finding their way inside, probably through the ceiling light fixtures. Not a lot to do to stop them for this year.

You can apply a residual insecticide in the window sills that will kill them as they fly towards the light. Using the extension hose of the vacuum is the easiest way to catch and remove them. The release an odor that will ruin the vacuum so securing an old stocking on the hose will act as a filter keeping them out of the vacuum interior. In the summer try to seal and caulk area they can gain access into the walls and attic of the structure.

Treating the exterior of the home in late summer with a pyrethroid based insecticide will reduce their numbers trying to hibernate. (22 years doing pest control)

How can you tell the difference between regular lady bugs and the asian lady beetle?

Megan

Best Answer

I haven't found how to tell the difference except that if they are not red (orange or red orange), they are definitely the Asian Lady Beetles. Even if they are red, they can be. Short of counting their spots, it might be a problem to tell the difference. They are beneficial like domestic ladybugs but can be pesky in the winter. Here's a good article about them and why they want to cluster on the walls of homes:

http://www.ars.  v/is/br/lbeetle/

Susan from ThriftyFun

Best Answer

You'll notice on the Asian lady beetles that the legs are a more of a red color where as on the ladybug, the legs are black.

I have been in my room and I have been finding ladybugs in the strangest places. My dad thinks that they are coming from the attic, but I have no patience anymore! I need help to try to get them out of my room.

By Jessica

Best Answer

I know lady bugs LOVE and feed on Caragana trees. They eat the aphids (green bugs). If you find a tree nearby they will all leave together. It's like they have a call and just pick up and leave! Fascinating. But the chance of having that tree nearby is probably slim? Hope it can help.?

How do I get rid of ladybugs?

Anonymous

Why would you want to? They're extremely benefical. "Most ladybugs voraciously consume plant-eating insects, such as aphids, and in doing so they help to protect crops. Ladybugs lay hundreds of eggs in the colonies of aphids and other plant-eating pests. When they hatch, the ladybug larvae immediately begin to feed." Check Google for more information.

I live on the 12th floor and I have lady bugs in my apartment. How can I get them out of my apt.?

By Sandra

Sweep them up. How many could you have?

How many can there be??? Are you kidding? If like me there can be thousands. Maybe not that quite that many but I have collected over 250 during the Month of December. Yes I have a really bad infestation, and it get worse each year. I really don't mind them all that much as they don't do much other then crawl around, but they are amazing at much they multiply. The best way I have found to get rid of them is to use a shop vac or any other powerful vacuum. It is really much more effective if it has one of the narrowing nozzles so that the suction is increased. These little guys can really hang on and when you attempt to suck them up they flatten themselves to the surface and are really hard to dislodge.

I recently moved in to a new two story house. It's not that old, and it has white sidings. Inside the house the walls are a light colored. When I moved in all but 4 windows had this plastic shrink wrap on to help keep the heat in.

I have noticed more and more lady bugs everyday. I have tried vacuuming them and other things, but nothing works. I live in northwest Ohio. Ladybugs are common, but I have never seen them this bad.

By Natalie

Ladybugs are completely harmless to humans and most animals. Actually, ladybugs are very beneficial to humans as they love to eat aphids, indoor and outdoor plant destroyers. They hibernate in the winter and are attracted to the light and warmth for a winter home. They sometimes choose your house for their winter stay because your house is often a light color and, of course, warm in winter.

You can remove the ladybugs without harm simply by carefully placing them in a paper bag and leaving the open bag outside. Unfortunately, once they have chosen a particular winter home, they often return to that same winter home in following years so you may meet their decendants next year, and the following years.

I live in the northeast and I am curious to know if anyone else is having a problem with ladybugs. For the past five years I have been inundated with them in the fall season. Now I am noticing them in the start of the spring season. In the fall they are all over my screens, siding on house, windows, and they get into the house and crawl over textured ceiling. Someone told me they liked the color yellow which is the color of my house. They don't bother my neighbors on either side of me.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can control them? I know that generally speaking ladybugs are great for eating other insects, but this is ridiculous. They are all over the inside of my house. Help!

By Cindy S.

Please be happy that you have the ladybugs and not a more worrisome type bothering you. In my state several years ago they released ladybugs to help control the insect population. They did such a good job of that! It became so bad they released an alien looking bug called stink bugs. They are the worst! They get into everything and cling to whatever it is. You can't shake them off. They sneak into your home and buzz by your head. You can't smash them or you have an awful smell. I pick them up with a piece of tissue and flush them. Last year we had a yard sale and they were into every item and in all the boxes. They get into the pockets of clothing, into socks, into purses, and everything. I'll take the ladybugs any day.

Who has problems with Asian beetles/ladybugs? They are annoying. How do you handle the problem? Thanks for your help.

By Trudy

I don't have a way to keep those bugs from getting in but one year my house was getting infested with them. I had to vacuum the floor, walls, ceilings, window panes, the openings in the ceilings fans, etc., etc., make sure when you empty out your vacuum cleaner you do it outside as they usually are not dead and can fly back onto everything-including your clothes.

Good luck.

Anonymous

I have a huge infestation of them. They are awful. I have woken up with small bites. Those little buggers bite. They're an orangish red, I honestly have been flicking them off anything they climb on. I feel them crawling on me even when I'm at work lol my boyfriend thinks I am going crazy. I can't stand them, they're not pretty I think they're useless.

I live in the city of Rochester. I need to know the most humane way to get rid of these pesky ladybugs that are invading my apartment. I have told my landlord, but they won't do anything about it. Help me!

By Sara

My husband saw a commercial for Natural cures that said that Lavender oil with vinegar can be used to rid the home of Lady bugs (beetles) and now the ever present Box Elder beetles. Did he hear right and if so what is the recipe?

Thanks

Pat from Waldo, WI

hi i have the ladybugs also. i have sprayed my windows on the outside with soapy water, like dish water. yes i do think that helped but then it rained and i did not do it again. i am planning on sealing up all of my screens. then i am washing the entire window area including the blindes. i hope that stops them.

did the lavender oil and vinegar for the box elder bugs work? what is the recipe?

How do I get rid of ladybugs? Our house gets invaded with zillions of them when the weather is hot, inside and outside of our home. It's extremely annoying.

By Trudy from Trout Run

Answers:

Getting Rid of Ladybugs

Are you sure they are ladybugs. This is an area that gets Japanese beetles every year. You could tape your doors and windows shut and they still find a way in. They are harmless and will eventually stop coming. Sweep them up and take them outside. (03/25/2010)

By knitter926

We just moved in our new house in August. And it is nearly the end of October and our house has been taken over by a form of ladybugs. I am going crazy, from the time I wake up til the time I go to bed I am constantly dragging the vacuum up and down the stairs. I have been vacuuming them away constantly. It seems to work, but every time I think I got them all, along comes another batch. Any ideas or proven remedies? Please help.

By Robin from Burgettstown, PA

Answers:

How can I get rid of lady bugs in my house?

Insect repellent spray bombs placed a few yards apart in the crawl space under the house worked for us. What few did come in, I was able to control using PineSol and water in a jar with screw top lid. My vac was not needed to get these insects which leave an odor that can cause health problems. Do a Google search and you can learn about that. (10/23/2009)

By Lorelei

If the ladybugs you are talking about are more of an orangish color instead of red, they are an Asian ladybug, and they are a seasonal problem here in the northeast. They come out in the late fall, and they will go away when the weather gets cold. What we do is vacuum them up where ever we find them, but if they're a huge problem, you could try using an insect bomb in your house. Just make sure you follow the directions on the can very carefully. (10/24/2009)

By Patty Lynn

Click on the link and read the heading, "Abstract" to get the scoop on health issues concerning these Asian beetles.
The odor they loose in a vacuum is offensive.

ipm.osu.edu (10/24/2009)

By Lorelei

There is a spray called Home Defense (we get it at the local lumber yard) that works wonders. You spray around the outside of your house foundation and around the windows and any other openings. This really helps keep them out. If an occasional one does get in it doesn't live long after crossing the spray line. (10/27/2009)

By starxmn

I have a few in my house, too. They seem to congregate by my lights. So I take a cup and a card or newspaper, flip them into the cup and cover it. Once you get a few in there, open a window and shake the cup so they fly out.

They can fly in when you are simply walking into your home. They are small so its hard to notice. I seem to catch 7-10 every day and set them free again.

A few years ago we had a huge amount so hubby just opened the windows and they flew out themselves. If it is a day that its a little warmer then it is also a great way to freshen the air in your home too. (11/16/2009)

By dvg

Gee, don't kill the lady bugs. They are an excellent clean up crew for the garden. Gently pick them up and take them outside. They are probably trying to get out of your house, too. (11/16/2009)

By sabrinadog

I just heard about this last night on the radio. It was suggested that a light box can be used since they are attracted to the light and then they can be transported all at once to the great outdoors away from the house. I'm not sure of where to get a light box at. Here's a website that may help:
For more detailed information on ladybugs, visit the Ladybug Lady's website: ladybuglady.com.

You could also use a "shop vacuum". This type of vacuum is easy to use for collecting ladybugs. When using this to vacuum up ladybugs, use a clean bag or pad the bottom with a cloth. After all are cleaned up at one time, release the unwelcome guests outside. Hope something helps. (11/16/2009)

By dbleoangel

How do you get rid of ladybugs?

By Granny

Answers:

Getting Rid of Ladybugs

There is not a lot you can do for them at this time due to the fact that they got into the attic and walls before winter hit to wait out the cold, but due to the warmth of the home have stayed active and finding their way inside. You may have the attic treated professionally but this can be hit or miss. Placing a residual insecticide in the window sill will kill them as they accumulate. If you use the hose extension of the vacuum, secure an old stocking with tape or a rubber band so it can act as a filter to keep the insects from the interior of the vacuum and leaving their stink behind.

By larflu

Getting Rid of Ladybugs

I don't know how many ladybugs you are talking about in your house but we get them every late fall and all winter in our home. The odd one or two will show up every week but I just let them go their way and I imagine they eventually die, but I don't see them again after a while. I have never noticed an odor from them either. If there are a lot, vacuum and shake bag outside. They are harmless as far as I am concerned. (01/29/2010)

By Indianone

Does anyone

know what can be used to get rid of Ladybugs? I am especially

interested in something that does not involve chemicals since we have

a 2 year old in the house.

Betty from Lebanon, KY

Answers:

Getting Rid of Ladybugs

I used to be happy when I saw lady bugs, but after being flooded with

them for several years and even in the winter in the house I learned

to hate them. They stink and bite.

They were always out of reach, so I found a stick, dowel rod, yard

stick anything long and made an 6-8 inch round of duct tape with the

sticky side out stuck to the end and went around collecting them. I

could finally reach all the ones I could see. Change the duct tape

when needed.

This year I've only seen a few, but other years have really been

bad. I live in Western Pennsylvania. Good luck. (10/29/2004)

By chml

Getting Rid of Ladybugs

Here's some info about that other bug that resembles the ladybug

except that it bites, or rather, tastes us:

The Asian lady beetle is considered a harmless nuisance.

Imported to the United States in the 1970s to combat aphids that were

destroying Southern pecan trees, the Asian lady beetle started

spreading west and north and arrived in Minnesota a few years ago.

As nuisance insects go, Asian lady beetles can be particularly

irritating. They look like the common, mild-mannered ladybug, but

they don`t act like it. They are bigger and bolder with a noticeable

bite. Some homeowners complain that the insects stink, and if you

don`t get rid of them right away they leave hard-to-remove black

specks (guess what that is) on every surface of the house. Some

Michigan residents in homes with large beetle numbers have reported

allergic reactions, according to a news report.

In their defense, these aphid-eating insects are beneficial in the

garden. Entomologists don`t recommend you try to control them

outdoors, unless they congregate in huge numbers near entries to the

home. In that case, contact an exterminator. Indoors control consists

of removing them by hand, broom or vaccuum cleaner.

If Asian lady beetles are a problem indoors during late winter or

early spring, you need to reduce the number that get into the wall

cavities and voids in fall. Seal or repair any obvious spaces, holes

or gaps around windows, doors, screens, overhangs, vents, siding and

other areas around your home`s exterior. You will have to be thorough

because the beetles don't need a big space to enter.

(11/05/2004)

By mommyb

Bay Leaves For Lady Bugs

I have a suggestion for eradicating the red or gold ladybugs, which

works for me. I scatter bay leaves around, on window sills, any

where they can sit. I do this yearly around this time and am not

bothered by the pesky bugs. I don't know if they don't like the

smell or what.

By Grammamare (11/09/2004)

By profile=ver1000140">ThriftyFun

Getting Rid of Ladybugs

Lowes sells a product called Hot Shot it is around $8 and if you hang

one of those over your door the lady bugs will not come in the house.

Since I have had mine I have not seen many spiders either.
Nan in

Northwest IA (11/10/2004)

By Nancy.

Getting Rid of Ladybugs

Burn Mulberry scented candles. They hate the smell and will leave

your house. (11/17/2004)

By Carolyn

Getting Rid of Ladybugs

I used to live in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee and each October

lady bugs swarmed in the millions. Our house was white and seemed to

draw them worse than darker homes. Since we were just a few miles

from the National Park, my husband spoke with a park ranger who

recommended that we purchase a sprayer, fill it with liquid

diswashing detergent, dilute it by about half and spray the outside

of the house thoroughly, especially the side that received the

afternoon sun.

Since they are attracted to light, we sprayed everything that

reflected the afternoon sun. We repeated the spraying on a regular

basis and if it rained, we sprayed again. Nothing can get rid of

them entirely, but it sure did help. (11/18/2004)

By Alice

Getting Rid of Ladybugs

This product works good on Asian beetles, which work in soybean

fields eating aphids, until there is no more aphids then they want to

migrate in the house. Your local hardware store or agri-center should

carry this or can get it for you. This a very good product, its called

Tempo, its a liquid you add to water and spray all around on your

house on the bugs directly or indirectly does not matter, safe to

spray inside your house also, will not harm pets or humans, it has a

residual so one spraying lasts for a few weeks. It does work, only had

a few this year the rest laid outside in piles dead. This product is

also good for crickets and many other annoying bugs. (03/16/2005)

By profile=thr735926">farmboyfromsd

Getting Rid of Ladybugs

Prevention is the most effective step in managing lady beetles. Check

the outside of your home for spaces and cracks that may allow insects

easy entry. Make any necessary repairs by the end of September.

Install tight-fitting door sweeps or thresholds at the base of all

exterior entry doors. Gaps of 1/16 inch or more will permit entry of

insects. Seal openings where pipes and wires enter the foundation and

siding, for instance, around outdoor faucets, receptacles, gas

meters, clothes dryer vents, and telephone/cable TV wires. Holes can

be plugged with caulk, cement, urethane expandable foam, steel wool,

copper mesh, or other suitable construction sealant. Caulk around

windows, doors, chimneys, and fascia boards, etc. using a high

quality silicone or acrylic latex caulk. Repair gaps and tears in

window and door screens. Repair screens in roof and soffit vents, and

in bathroom and kitchen fans. Keep siding, eaves and soffits in good

repair, replacing damaged areas if necessary, to keep the exterior

walls as insect-proof as possible.

Frequently spraying the beetles that have landed on the side of a

house with soapy water will reduce the population considerably.

Physical exclusion can be supplemented with a residual insecticide

barrier. For insecticides to be effective, they must be applied

before insects begin to enter buildings, which is early- to mid-

October for multicolored Asian beetles. Be sure the product you

intend to use is labeled for use on the exterior of buildings. You

may wish to consider hiring a professional pest control service. They

have the experience and access to residual insecticides to control

lady beetles effectively.

Remove lady beetles found indoors with a broom or vacuum. Indoor

insecticide sprays are of very limited benefit. Once lady beetles

move into wall voids there is no practical control to prevent them

from emerging later during winter or spring. The only control is to

remove them as they are seen.

(03/16/2005)

By Margie in KS

Getting Rid of Ladybugs

I had ladybugs like mad in our new home. I went into the hardware one

day and told them I wished I could find something for ladybugs. They

told me Revenge Bug Strips.Two days after I put them up, I was

finding dead bugs all over. Within a week I wasn't even finding them.

These strips really stink, but they work like crazy. No more lady

bugs. Mine only lasted about 2 months, but I didn't mind buying them

again, they really work. I got them at the Local True Value Hardware.
I am sure they are available in other lawn and garden stores also.
Hope this helps you. (03/15/2006)

By profile=thr571728">pipolota

Getting Rid of Ladybugs

Don't be ridiculous, Mr. Shrimpp. These people don't want to

eradicate ladybugs from the entire planet, they just don't want them

inside their homes in hordes. There are millions of insects, animals,

birds, even reptiles that are good for our ecosystems, but that we

don't want to habitate with us inside our homes. Would you want

hundreds of garden snakes slithering around inside your house?

For those still having problems, I found the link below helpful

and educational. Good luck.

ca.uky.edu

(10/23/2007)

By ladybugproblem

Getting Rid of Ladybugs

I just got these strips yesterday, "Pro Zap" and hung one in the

attic, 2nd floor bathroom and kitchen since those were my worse

areas. There were 100's of lady bugs and when I got up this morning I

had to start vacuuming up all the dead lady bugs. I got mine at our

local feed store, but I'm sure that hardware stores and probably

Walmart would have them. I have 2 dogs and didn't want anything that

might harm them and this is working great. Pine sol and lemon scented

Mr. Clean don't work. (04/10/2008)

By Jill

Getting Rid of Ladybugs

I'm going to build one of these traps. ipm.osu.edu (04/10/2008)

By Joe

Getting Rid of Ladybugs

Put a clean vacuum bag in vacuum cleaner, vacuum them up, then put

a Ziploc baggy over the vacuum bag hole and allow them to go into

there (vacuuming only stuns them not kill them) zip the bag shut. Now

sell or give them to a farmer or sell them on eBay, or freeze them

now and thaw them in the spring and put them on your plants. Lady

bugs (the red and black ones) and lady beetles (the orange and black

ones) are both harmless and kill the aphids that eat plants in your

garden and on farms. (07/12/2009)

By profile=thr597260">canyon

Getting Rid of Ladybugs

Seal them out with caulk, the south side of the house will be the

side to concentrate on most. For those inside just gently sweep them

up and let them go. Most times the are not dead, just sleeping.
Check out this article for morehref="http://www.pestcemetery.com/why-are-there-ladybugs-on-my-

windowsill"> pestcemetery.com (10/23/2009)

By profile=thr581939">Dutch 1962

width="300" height="189" alt="RE: Getting Rid of Ladybugs">

Load More