Getting Rid of Lady Bugs

These insects can be a nuisance in some parts of the country. This guide is about getting rid of lady bugs.

Getting Rid of Lady Bugs
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I just went in to wake up my 14 month old from her nap. I opened her blinds and was shocked to see 16 ladybugs all over her window. I live in the mid-atlantic region where it has been cold, but we are having a few days of warm weather. Does anybody have ideas how to rid of these nasty bugs that will not harm my children? My 4 year old wants to keep them as pets! Thanks!

Karen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I'm not sure if I'm talking about the same insect here - we had what we called ladybirds, (a type of small beetle with red folded wings like a little shell, with black spots), in Britain when I was a child. There is absolutely nothing 'nasty' of harmful about these bugs! We used to allow them to crawl on our hands - they don't bite/sting or otherwise cause any harm. They are beautiful and some species are very beneficial to the garden as previously mentioned. I would just sweep them up and put them back outside - and stop stressing! (If they are the same insect that is!)

Regards

Jo

Best Answer

I live in Indiana now, and there were thousands of them around here!! Yes, they stink and bite. I have had them in my bed, and of course, that grosses me out. Crazy, I know, but I spray vinegar on my bed when that happens, and it seems to help. Vinegar is anti-bacterial too.

My friends in Kentucky have them too, so they must be acrosss the country!

Best Answer

These are not Lady Bugs these are called asian beetles, nothing will actually keep them out. When it warms up they show back up. They do smell bad and will bite, but they arent venomous. You can vacuum them up but make sure that you kill them before emptying the vacuum.

Best Answer

Hello there!! Just wanted to post and say....ladybugs the one's we remember as the "good guys" are reddish in color.

The ones that stink and bite and are showing up all over the place on warm days are orange in color and are the Asian variety. They are not the aphid eating ones we would like to have in our gardens :(

Read More Answers...

Would anyone know how to get rid of ladybugs? At first I thought they were so pretty, but they have infested my walls and ceilings. I live in the country, but the windows were closed all winter.

Thank you.
Gertrude

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Capture them and sell them to a nursery, or send them to friend's who garden (esp. in the southern part of the U.S.)! Ladybugs feast on many of the garden pests that devastate gardens. I can understand why you don't want them in your house however! Please don't kill them though as they are so beneficial to have around. I would love to have some.

Helpful Reader and Holly

Best Answer

Here's a great online resource with information about ladybugs.

Helpful Reader

Best Answer

OK. I know Ladybugs are beneficial. I know they eat aphids. I now they are a great alternative to pesticides in the garden. Blah blah blah....I HATE THEM!! For those of you who say they aren't a problem and they will just hide in the sashes till spring. Or those who say to just "seal" up your house so they don't get in. To those who think a "few" lady bugs can be tolerated...you have NO IDEA what some of us are going through. Maybe you have 20 or 30 cute little bugs walking around in your house....but when fall comes I have MILLIONS all over my house. They are so thick you can't even see through them on the windows and walls outside. Seal the house up?? Sure...but when you open the door to go out or come in from outside hundreds fly in as soon as the door opens. They are in my bed, in my food, in my shower and in the closets and drawers with my clothing. I have a garden and a small farm. I get my water from a well. I undersdtand about chemicals and pesticides in the ground water and around my animals and children...but I kill these PESTS every chance I get and by any means necessary. In the fall when they first gather I use a pump sprayer and a strong pesticide and spray several times a day the outside walls of our house. The bugs pile up in heaps at the base of the house...but new ones replace those and I spray em again. Once again....if you think they are "cute" and "lucky" and "nice to have around" then you don't have a clue as to what some of us are talking about.

Editor's Note: Here is a good article about them and controlling them: http://www.thebeneficialinsectco.com/help/asian-lady-beetles.htm

Best Answer

You people don't understand they fly in your food while eating in your coffee pot and end up in your coffee. Needless to say the rest. I was sitting at the table eating dinner and one flew in my plate. Yummy! NOT. And like someone else said these are not lady bugs. They are Asian beettes and they are in my house by the thousands also. I guess I will just start trying stuff and let everyone know my progress. Best wishes to my self. I will start with the recipe given as

1/2 cup water

1 Tbs. vinegar

1 squirt dish soap

1 Tbs. sugar

Place in a milk jug near infestation.

I will give it a week and come back and post.

Read More Answers...

How do I get rid of ladybugs?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I found ladybugs in my spare room. Where did they come from and how do I get rid of them? Also what causes that?

By Sharon from East Hampton, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

Are you talking about lady bugs or Asian beetles? A big difference! You do not want to allow Asian beetles inside as they will take over by the hundreds! Buy an insecticide called "Bug Stop" and spray it around all your windows and sills at the first sign of them attacking your house in October. It will help the infestation and is residual for 9 months. These beetles will be out again in the spring and crawling all over your counters, windows, beds, etc.

To get rid of the ones inside: Double duct tape back on itself and touch the sticky side to the beetle. They cannot get loose and as long as their wings are stuck to the tape, they will not emit the terrible smell.

For those on the ceilings, have someone make a "T" shaped pole from some wood and attach the duct tape to the top of the T, again doubled back on itself so one side sticks to the pole and the top side is also sticky. Simply reach up with the pole and capture the bug.

Vacuuming is ugly, as they will smell each time the vac is turned on, plus they can crawl out of the wand.

The Asian beetles were imported by our government in the 1940's as a "natural" control for farmer's aphids on soy bean plants. However, there is no enemy of the beetles and they have multiplied by the millions and are traveling west. You are very lucky if you live in a large city where they are not prevalent due to no soy bean fields nearby.

Incidentally, they swarm to our homes, especially two story like ours, because in their natural habitat, they winter over in cliffs. Our homes are like cliffs to them.

They are not beneficial lady bugs. Do not let them loose outside once you catch them. Destroy them immediately. They will die on the duct tape or can be captured with a wet tissue and rolled up if duct tape is not handy. The wet tissue keeps them from emitting the terrible smell.

Best Answer

What people call the "Asian Beetle" is just a another type of ladybug, just one imported from Asia, actually a better aphid eater than our native species. They got into the attic before the weather got cold to wait out the cold and now with Spring arriving have gotten active and some are finding their way inside, probably through the ceiling light fixtures. Not a lot to do to stop them for this year.

You can apply a residual insecticide in the window sills that will kill them as they fly towards the light. Using the extension hose of the vacuum is the easiest way to catch and remove them. The release an odor that will ruin the vacuum so securing an old stocking on the hose will act as a filter keeping them out of the vacuum interior. In the summer try to seal and caulk area they can gain access into the walls and attic of the structure.

Treating the exterior of the home in late summer with a pyrethroid based insecticide will reduce their numbers trying to hibernate. (22 years doing pest control)

Best Answer

A black lite. It attracts them they get in the lite and it kills them. Be sure to check it often it will fill up fast. Just lay it down facing up. It works.

Read More Answers...

I have been in my room and I have been finding ladybugs in the strangest places. My dad thinks that they are coming from the attic, but I have no patience anymore! I need help to try to get them out of my room.

By Jessica

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

I know lady bugs LOVE and feed on Caragana trees. They eat the aphids (green bugs). If you find a tree nearby they will all leave together. It's like they have a call and just pick up and leave! Fascinating. But the chance of having that tree nearby is probably slim? Hope it can help.?

How can you tell the difference between regular lady bugs and the asian lady beetle?

Megan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

I haven't found how to tell the difference except that if they are not red (orange or red orange), they are definitely the Asian Lady Beetles. Even if they are red, they can be. Short of counting their spots, it might be a problem to tell the difference. They are beneficial like domestic ladybugs but can be pesky in the winter. Here's a good article about them and why they want to cluster on the walls of homes:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/br/lbeetle/

Susan from ThriftyFun

Best Answer

You'll notice on the Asian lady beetles that the legs are a more of a red color where as on the ladybug, the legs are black.

Read More Answers...

I live on the 12th floor and I have lady bugs in my apartment. How can I get them out of my apt.?

By Sandra

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How many can there be??? Are you kidding? If like me there can be thousands. Maybe not that quite that many but I have collected over 250 during the Month of December. Yes I have a really bad infestation, and it get worse each year. I really don't mind them all that much as they don't do much other then crawl around, but they are amazing at much they multiply. The best way I have found to get rid of them is to use a shop vac or any other powerful vacuum. It is really much more effective if it has one of the narrowing nozzles so that the suction is increased. These little guys can really hang on and when you attempt to suck them up they flatten themselves to the surface and are really hard to dislodge.

Read More Answers...

I recently moved in to a new two story house. It's not that old, and it has white sidings. Inside the house the walls are a light colored. When I moved in all but 4 windows had this plastic shrink wrap on to help keep the heat in.

I have noticed more and more lady bugs everyday. I have tried vacuuming them and other things, but nothing works. I live in northwest Ohio. Ladybugs are common, but I have never seen them this bad.

By Natalie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ladybugs are completely harmless to humans and most animals. Actually, ladybugs are very beneficial to humans as they love to eat aphids, indoor and outdoor plant destroyers. They hibernate in the winter and are attracted to the light and warmth for a winter home. They sometimes choose your house for their winter stay because your house is often a light color and, of course, warm in winter.

You can remove the ladybugs without harm simply by carefully placing them in a paper bag and leaving the open bag outside. Unfortunately, once they have chosen a particular winter home, they often return to that same winter home in following years so you may meet their decendants next year, and the following years.

I live in the northeast and I am curious to know if anyone else is having a problem with ladybugs. For the past five years I have been inundated with them in the fall season. Now I am noticing them in the start of the spring season. In the fall they are all over my screens, siding on house, windows, and they get into the house and crawl over textured ceiling. Someone told me they liked the color yellow which is the color of my house. They don't bother my neighbors on either side of me.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can control them? I know that generally speaking ladybugs are great for eating other insects, but this is ridiculous. They are all over the inside of my house. Help!

By Cindy S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please be happy that you have the ladybugs and not a more worrisome type bothering you. In my state several years ago they released ladybugs to help control the insect population. They did such a good job of that! It became so bad they released an alien looking bug called stink bugs. They are the worst! They get into everything and cling to whatever it is. You can't shake them off. They sneak into your home and buzz by your head. You can't smash them or you have an awful smell. I pick them up with a piece of tissue and flush them. Last year we had a yard sale and they were into every item and in all the boxes. They get into the pockets of clothing, into socks, into purses, and everything. I'll take the ladybugs any day.

Who has problems with Asian beetles/ladybugs? They are annoying. How do you handle the problem? Thanks for your help.

By Trudy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't have a way to keep those bugs from getting in but one year my house was getting infested with them. I had to vacuum the floor, walls, ceilings, window panes, the openings in the ceilings fans, etc., etc., make sure when you empty out your vacuum cleaner you do it outside as they usually are not dead and can fly back onto everything-including your clothes.

Good luck.

My husband saw a commercial for Natural cures that said that Lavender oil with vinegar can be used to rid the home of Lady bugs (beetles) and now the ever present Box Elder beetles. Did he hear right and if so what is the recipe?

Thanks

Pat from Waldo, WI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

did the lavender oil and vinegar for the box elder bugs work? what is the recipe?

Read More Answers...

How do I get rid of ladybugs? Our house gets invaded with zillions of them when the weather is hot, inside and outside of our home. It's extremely annoying.

By Trudy from Trout Run

Answers:

Getting Rid of Ladybugs

Are you sure they are ladybugs. This is an area that gets Japanese beetles every year. You could tape your doors and windows shut and they still find a way in. They are harmless and will eventually stop coming. Sweep them up and take them outside. (03/25/2010)

By knitter926

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We just moved in our new house in August. And it is nearly the end of October and our house has been taken over by a form of ladybugs. I am going crazy, from the time I wake up til the time I go to bed I am constantly dragging the vacuum up and down the stairs.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you get rid of ladybugs?

By Granny

Answers:

Getting Rid of Ladybugs

There is not a lot you can do for them at this time due to the fact that they got into the attic and walls before winter hit to wait out the cold, but due to the warmth of the home have stayed active and finding their way inside. You may have the attic treated professionally but this can be hit or miss. Placing a residual insecticide in the window sill will kill them as they accumulate. If you use the hose extension of the vacuum, secure an old stocking with tape or a rubber band so it can act as a filter to keep the insects from the interior of the vacuum and leaving their stink behind.

By larflu

Getting Rid of Ladybugs

I don't know how many ladybugs you are talking about in your house but we get them every late fall and all winter in our home. The odd one or two will show up every week but I just let them go their way and I imagine they eventually die, but I don't see them again after a while. I have never noticed an odor from them either. If there are a lot, vacuum and shake bag outside. They are harmless as far as I am concerned. (01/29/2010)

By Indianone

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Load More
    Home and Garden Pest Control BugsSeptember 5, 2012
    Ladybug on a blade of grass
    Lady Bug Photos and Information
    Asian Beetles
    Getting Rid of Asian Beetles
    Smashed bugs on front of car
    Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
    Removing Bugs from Your Car
    Removing Bugs from Your Car
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 24, 2016 at 6:06:31 PM on 10.0.2.69 in 872 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.