Getting Rid of Raspberry Plants

What do you use to get rid of pesky raspberry plants that are old and sprouting up all over the yard? How do you remove old roots after cutting them back?

Hardiness Zone: 1

By leftthesanebehind from St Paul, AB

Getting Rid of Raspberry Plants

Aside from saying, thank you Mother Earth for throwing food at me, you mean? I saw a different way of planting raspberries in Portland 3 years ago and decided if I ever had my favorite berry again, I'd copy the method. The person had cleared a circle 6-8 feet across on his lawn and planted the entire thing with raspberries probably 6-8 inches apart, all the way around and criss crossing the circle, to the center. They held each other up, and he/she had a great crop.

Now I realize you're experiencing the nuisance aspect of their fertility, but maybe you could just draw a circle around the greater growth area, and fill it in with cuttings, which will sprout nicely. As for the ones you don't want, pour hot water on them? Or cover with black plastic over the winter.

Sorry if I'm being a bit facetious; I just love those berries, and I miss them. (09/02/2009)

Getting Rid of Raspberry Plants

First, I'd like a few of your "pups" and you could offer some on the seed swap site here, most folks don't mind paying postage so you can get rid of them. Secondly, pour vinegar on the pups and then try putting some old carpeting upside down on top of the areas that are "pupping" and it may prevent the problem. Vinegar will kill anything it touches so be careful and don't use near any plants you want to keep. (09/03/2009)

By wolfbytez

Getting Rid of Raspberry Plants

Dig them out and offer them up on your local Freecycling group! (09/03/2009)

By jdsjkk

Getting Rid of Raspberry Plants
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Cheesecake with fresh raspberries and sauce.
Raspberry Sauce Recipes
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
Two earwigs on a yellow flower.
Getting Rid of Earwigs