Getting Rid of Spiders

How do I get rid of spiders in my house and hegdes?

Amanda from Wabash, IN

Answers:

Getting Rid of Spiders

First make sure you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to get rid of them. A few spiders are better then a few hundred other bugs!

(i)Spiders and bats are our friends and should be coddled not crushed ;)(/i)

My grandmother used to hang "citrus melon" in her basement to get rid os spiders. I tried to look up the name & found nothing...but it's a melon that smells like oranges. Maybe someone else will know of a more suitable name for such a thing.

While I can not say that it works from personal experience, my grandmother swore by them!

(09/01/2006)

By Qryztufre

Getting Rid of Spiders

I have no advice to get rid of the spiders. I keep my spiders and love that they are there. I just wanted to back up the lady that sent you the previous advice. Spiders eat a lot of other bugs which you really don't want around. I have an extensive garden and I'm happy to find cobwebs out there in my veggies and flowers. (09/01/2006)

By jrslady

Getting Rid of Spiders

The "citrus melon" your grandmother referred to are also called hedge apples. They are a fruit (inedible) of the hedge tree also known as the "Osage Orange" by the Indians. I have not heard them called citris melons but understand how they could be having a pungent orange scent. They are abundant in Missouri in the fall along country road ditches being a neon green in color and somewhat smaller than an orange. (09/03/2006)

By Lynkco1

A spider trapped under a drinking glass.
Getting Rid of Spiders
Whole and sliced Hedge Apples (Maclura pomifera) also known as Osage Oranges against a white background
Using Hedge Apples to Repel Spiders
Huntsman spider against a white window frame
Keeping Spiders Out of Your House
Spider Hanging on web Outside
Getting Rid Of Spiders Outside House
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
🎉
🎄