Getting Rid of Ticks in Your Yard

Category Ticks
An adult tick on a leaf.
Depending on where you live and the time of year ticks can be a parasite on dogs and humans. Food grade diatomaceous earth may be helpful in reducing ticks. This is a guide about getting rid of ticks in your yard.

How can I get rid of ticks in my back yard?

By asp

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Either put out Borax in your yard (Mule Team Borax, like clothes are washed with), or sevin dust. Both will help rid the yard of fleas and ticks.

Ticks are over-abundant this year, and I live around lots of trees. Is there any good solution for getting rid of them in the yard? I keep the grass cut short. I distributed borax in the yard, which gets rid of fleas very well. I am hoping it works well for ticks too! There are cats and squirrels around our house that I think are bringing them into the yard.

By Sarah

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

You and the neighborhood would benefit if there were several clutches of guinia hens. They wander but neighbors shouldn't mind when they find what beneficial birds they are. They will clear a mountainside of ticks given time. They are smart as well. Not as vulnerable as chickens.

How do I kill ticks in the yard?

By Linda

For around $8 there is a powder that you sprinkle all over your yard. It is available at Wal-Mart, or probably any hardware store. It is also effective for fleas, spiders, ants, and I cannot remember what else. Ticks like tall grass. They wait on the end of grass for an unsuspecting host to come along, and dinner is served. Keeping grass a reasonable length will help too.

Rural neighborhood? Get some guinea hens. Your neighbors will love you. Easy to care for. Little housing. Easier than chickens. Favorite food? Ticks. They do travel a bit. Get neighbor OK, in fact all neighbors can chip in.

Small yard? City lot? Cedercide granules. Inexpensive.

Thanks for the info. I think our chickens eat ticks too, as we aren't over run with them.

How do you repel ticks from your dog and yard?

By Deb from Inverness, FL

Answers

Guinea hens. The worst infestations like in parts of Texas are totally eliminated with Guinea hens. Their best work is on ticks. Fleas, ticks, silverfish, pillbugs, cockroaches, you name it. The whole world needs at least 4 of these smart little characters for each home.

We have a pond at the bottom of the property and we have found ticks and scorpions. We have a Pomeranian (long hair) and a Siberian Husky. Help.

By Red from La Grange, CA

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth

Food grade diatomaceous earth, found at home improvement stores. Not pool grade. Sprinkle it all over, even on your pets and in the house. Some even recommend putting a bit of it in your pets' food. Dave Owens, our local garden guy, even puts a bit in his mouth on TV to show it is harmless except to bugs. I use it all the time.

By Pat in Arizona

I have 2 Cocker Spaniels and they are covered in ticks. These ticks are really small and are something out of this world. Where they have skin they have ticks, it's like a big colony of them.

We have tried Frontline, K9, and one of those strong dips, but nothing seems to work. They have more ticks on the areas where we put the K9 or Frontline medicine.

I don't know what to do, I love my dogs, but I have a baby and I'm also pregnant. I can't spend the day hunting ticks on the walls. I need something really effective. What suggestions do you have for me?

By Leticia

Answers:

Controlling Ticks

Please have your Veterinarian remove all the ticks from both dogs and then have him suggest any medication that might work for you. Good luck. (06/16/2010)

By K9cats

Controlling Ticks

I failed to mention that the ticks are dangerous to your dogs and you should make sure that they don't have Lyme disease. Your Veterinarian can check for this and he can also vaccinate them for Lyme disease. (06/16/2010)

By K9cats

Controlling Ticks

We had woods where I lived as a child and the dogs and cats were always getting ticks. My Dad used the lit end of cigar to burn their butts. Ticks go in head first into the skin. People can get bit too, after this, they will pop off. Vicks Vaporub will work, too. Put on butt and cut off their air supply. Be sure to get all of their body parts. Check on the web for free consultation on most pet supply sites, they can help too. (06/16/2010)

By jd1947

Controlling Ticks

When using products like Frontline its very important not to wash your dog a few days before and a few days after applying the drops, because the drop are distributed by the oils in your dogs skin. (06/16/2010)

By MysticalDream

What is the best thing to use to get rid of ticks? I found one on my Cocker. I finally removed it, but I don't want to have to remove anymore.

By villagegirl2009 from LA

Answers:

Controlling Ticks

Coat the tick with Vaseline and leave alone for 20 minutes or so. It will suffocate and should be easy to remove with tweezers. (08/02/2009)

By lindal

Controlling Ticks

In regards to preventing your lawn from having ticks: ticks like the shade, therefore there are high tick populations in wooded areas. If you are able to keep your dogs on the lawn and away from the ecotone of your property, they will be OK. Ticks cannot survive on grass in the hot sun. (08/04/2009)

By JP McHale Pest Management

I live in Kansas and I am having a terrible problem with ticks in my yard. I live right next to a weed and tree infested lot, out in the country. We have a dying pine tree that needs to be removed this summer. Are ticks attracted to this as well? What is the best way to treat the yard?

By Sunnie from Wichita, KS

Answers:

Getting Rid of Ticks - Our Yard Is Infested With Ticks

I assume you have dogs or some kind of host for these insects. Are you using Frontline? Regular use along with spreading ant granules on the yard should eliminate them. Make sure you buy granules that also kill ticks. Frontline kills ticks, not just repels them, so leave the dog out. The more Frontline treated animals in your yard the quicker the problem leaves. (05/15/2009)

By kelhawk

I don't know if this is a possibility, but guinea hens eat ticks. Many people get them for this reason. (05/15/2009)

By AmyMart

(submitted via email)

Kerosene is toxic to humans and pets, and I wouldn't recommend using it on your dog's skin/fur to get rid of ticks or fleas. The commercial flea and tick collars (Frontline included) are full of dangerous pesticides and other chemicals that can cause sickness and disease in your pet. The best way to get rid of fleas and ticks is by shampooing them with a tea tree oil shampoo once a week if necessary, or use another natural remedy.

Lorrie (08/06/2009)

By Sappie

I have two dogs, a long haired and a short haired, I would like some advice on how to get rid of and prevent ticks both on my dogs and in my yard. My neighbor has dogs and doesn't treat for fleas or ticks and my pets are suffering.
Thank you.

Blake

Answers:

Controlling Ticks

Put them on Frontline (or anything else recommended by your Vet) asap. They will be tick and flea free.

Jennifer
Northern Virginia (09/06/2005)

By ILuvDobes

Our yard is infested with ticks, so bad that we can't let our kids out there to play or let the family dog out. Is there a home remedy to control the infestation of the ticks?