Getting Rid of a Cowlick

A clump of hair that stands straight up or at an odd angle does not always work with the hair style you have. This guide is about getting rid of a cowlick.

June 26, 2009 Flag

I have a cowlick in the front of my head and I can't get it to go down. Some nights I wear a head band or something while I sleep or I blow dry it down. But it either sticks up by the end of the day or it just doesn't go all the way down. I have tried hairspray and it doesn't work. Does anyone know what else I can try? Thank you.

By codie

I agree about accepting the cowlick. It adds some height to your hairdo, instead of it just hanging limp. My hair just hangs limp in front, no matter what I do with it. I have a cowlick in the back, crown area, that since I have got older and my hair has got thinner, doesn't work real well with a spot on each side of it. There isn't enough hair on each side to blend in with it.

Speaking of curls, my 44 year old daughter never had curly hair in her life, until the last few years.

First, yours is cute and gives your face character. Mine is the same, but on the right side. Drove my mom crazy! : P My stylist said that movie stars often have distinctive hairstyles because of cowlicks & unusual hairlines. Learn to love it, and make it your beauty trademark.

When I wear bangs, I have them cut extra deep on my crown to lend enough weight to tame the cowlick. I style the bangs first after shampooing. When blowdrying the cowlick area, concentrate the airflow in the direction you want the hair to lay while directing the hair in the right direction while making little zig-zag motions over the roots. (Like putting on thick mascara) This sounds complicated, but doing so redirects the hair follicles to blend the cowlick into your hairline. After the area is dry, spray hairspray lightly on your hairbrush, then comb it through your entire bangs area to set the style. This technique also works to tame a cowlick that has not been cut into bangs.

When your cowlick is under control, complete styling the rest of your hair to blend it in even more -- or tease it up to accent it! Attitude, not perfection, is the difference between stylin' and crying.

Find a good hair stylist. I am from China.

I know how you feel, I have the STRONGEST cowlick in the same place you do, I cant even get side bangs.

October 2, 2008 Flag

Does anyone have a remedy for cow licks? I have tried blow drying in the direction, gel, etc., but with no luck. Have you used a particular product and/or a technique that works? Thank you!

Yeah, I have struggled for this for years, and I think it is one of the curses that you are just born with! Mine is in the front, so I can never have bangs. What I like to do, which kind of goes along with the nylon idea, is use a cloth head band right where the cowlick is. Style your hair how you like( best when damp), putting the cowlick in the direction you want it to go, and then put the head band down. The thicker, tighter headbands work best. You might even want to throw some hair gel or spray on the troubled area. Wear the headband for like 30 minutes or until dry. brush over the area because the gel might make it crispy. Also, I sometimes put a hat on while I am driving to work or school to flatten it out some more. Again, a tighter hat works best. It definitely sucks that I go to these extremes, but I really like the long, sweeping bangs look, and this is the only way to achieve it!

I have one in my bangs area, right side of my face. It is a thick, obstinate thing and sticks straight up in its own little "ponytail." This is what I do: flatten it to my head, make it lay the same direction as the rest of the bangs. Then I spray it down with a little hairspray and hold my hand down on it with pressure it until it dries -- hairspray dries quickly. That usually takes care of it. My theory is, the more special the occasion, the worse your cowlick will behave!

I have found that using a hair straightner works. It isn't permanet but, it helps for the time being.

I see cow licks and I have one. It's in the bang area around the hairline area too. I find that most cow licks are in the hairline area.first take a shower , dry the other parts except the cow lick. Get a nylon put it on and then get a headband also put it in the cow lick. You can sleep with it on. by the next day the cowlick will be down. After you take it off put a lot of hair spray on it. It'll stay down.

July 16, 2013 Flag

You can drench your hair in water and pin down tightly overnight. The cowlick will definitely be not strong.

Or try to gel the hair down flat at the cowlick area overnight. Wake up and brush gel

Blast hair dry right where cowlick is close up and flatten cowlick while blow

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips StylingDecember 6, 2012
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
iTunes icon on a phone
Getting Rid of Duplicates in iTunes
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants