Getting Rid of an Armadillo

Armadillo
These new world, armored animals with their low body temperatures are found in warm climates. They can be very destructive in a garden. This is a guide about getting rid of an armadillo.

I want to know how to keep an armadillo out of my yard. He is obviously after the grubs in the yard. I have tried moth balls, traps, nothing has worked yet.

Dee from Texas

Best Answer

Here are some links:

ARMADILLO CONTROL

http://www.bugs  cts/page438.html

Here's an Armadillo Repellant (I have never used it)

http://www.mast  llo-control.html

Here's another repellant called Shake-Away

http://www.crit  -landscaping.php

Basically they establish foraging routes. If they know they can get food somewhere they will come back over and over and over. Apparently they don't like Coyote Urine which is the foundation for the second repellant.

Best Answer

I've searched the net and came up with the three recommendations:

1. Create a barrier (not very pratical).

2. Live traps

3. Shoot the boogers.

In the case of number 2, immediately move on to number 3.

I also read that (and this is from the dirt doctor here in Texas) that a cup of human urine and a cup of ammonia mixed together in a gallan of wate can be sprayed on problem areas. Drink lots of beer first!

How can I get rid of armadillos? They are ruining my gardens. I planted a beautiful area around our above ground pool and they eat everything while we sleep.

By Amazingdoc from FL

Answers

Best Answer

My only answer is to get a very large dog that will chase them away! My yard was being totally destroyed by them and I couldn't stop them even by shooting at them! When I got a large dog (actually two large dogs), then I stopped seeing any armadillos! Good luck!

Best Answer

The dog idea works great. I have a new dog, a new stray actually, that not only got rid of the armadillos but also the moles, squirrels and rabbits and doing a supper job on the mice as well. The cod liver oil mixed with unscented plain kitty litter with a good dose of red pepper was a short term fix.

You may want to make sure it is armadillos because possums, deer and rabbits will eat most any plants but armadillos will only dig looking for grubs and worms leaving a path of destruction with lots of holes, and your plants uprooted and scattered everywhere. If it is possums, deer or rabbits sprinkling black or red pepper on and around your plants will make them leave faster than you can say achoo! Remember to reapply after it rains.

We just discovered we have an armadillo in the back yard! It is digging up everything--the good thing is, our pup won't get blamed for digging up the watermelons, tomatoes, etc. Poor baby has been getting blamed for a lot of armadillo damage! Is there anything we can do to keep the armadillo out of the backyard, which is fenced in with a privacy fence?

Hardiness Zone: 8b

JLB from Austin, TX

Best Answer

The hardest part is catching them when they are out and not hiding. We let our dog in the yard (but tied, so he wouldn't bother it), and when he went crazy barking, we knew that the armadillo was roaming about. I took an empty plastic trash can in one hand and the lid in the other, and I followed it around the yard VERY slowly, so to not be threatening. I calmly talked to it the whole time, kind of leading him with the lid (blocking where I didn't want him to go) and forced him into the fence corner. I then put the trash can in front of him and scooted him in it with the lid. Covered the can, turned it upright, and promptly took him to the country where he could roam and dig to his heart's content. Good Luck!

How do I catch or trap an armadillo? It is digging up everything.

By missysmom

I don't know, but be careful if you handle one. They can carry leprosy.

What is a safe way to discourage armadillos from your home/yards?

By T.S. from Pace, FL