Getting Used To Wearing Dentures

Getting used to wearing dentures takes time. This is a guide about getting used to wearing dentures.

November 11, 2016 Flag

I have had dentures for several years. They fit fine, but I still can't stand them touching the roof of my mouth. Is there anything I can do? I have high anxiety and want to take them out and throw them away.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My brother used a small grinder and grinded the middle out

July 24, 2008 Flag

Any tips to help learn to eat with dentures and talk with them?

Tina from Florida

Best Answer

Sorry you have to go through this. You can do it, you will come out the other side a success. Practice the sounds 55, 33 and 66. Keep going back to your dentist for adjustments, ten times if necessary. You need to be able to wrap your lips around them without ever getting a sore.

I am a dental hygienist and was a longtime assistant to a doc who made dentures. Twice we failed, and one was someone who could not stop gagging. He went for hypnosis and had to face an unpleasant suppressed memory to get it stopped. The other was someone whose jaw did not hold the plate, so it fell off when he opened his mouth. Implants helped him. If worst comes to worst, you can get the denture anchored with implants, and they make mini ones that are far cheaper. My patients who have implants say that they are awesome, they really rave about how great they feel and chew. Implants are not for smokers because they don't anchor well. God bless you. Dentures are famous for making strong men cry.

Best Answer

I worked in Dental field for over 17 years. The best

advice I would give our patients is to sit and read

a book or newspaper out loud. If you find that they

are not comfy then let the dentist know sometimes a minor

adjustment will help.Good luck.

It took me about 6 weeks after I got my dentures that I realized they no longer felt like I had eggshells in my mouth. This happened cause one of my children ended up in the hospital and the distraction made me forget about the teeth. I was lucky with my teeth. A week after I got them the dentist had me scheduled to come back to check for red areas on my gums, to see where the teeth were rubbing. I had two spots, he adjusted the dental plate.

I have had no trouble since then, I can eat anything, raw apples, carrots, corn on the cob, etc. I have not seen the dentist since that last time. I do not use denture adhesive and I have had my teeth over 30 years. If I get a cut inside my mouth from eating popcorn or chips, I use a numbing adhesive (Benzodent) for a couple days, so can wear teeth without any soreness. I have been very lucky and I hope you are too.

Eating with dentures can be a choking hazard (even according to the Red Cross web site!). So I don't eat around other people since I got dentures; it's worth a little inconvenience to avoid choking.

As for talking, just practice, practice, practice! In fact, I found it easier to talk while wearing my dentures...what threw me was re-learning to talk without them (at night, etc.). Now I can do both with equal ease.

BTW, I don't use PolyGrip or anything. I line my dentures with DentuRite. Works great, and isn't nearly as drying as regular adhesives.

Good luck!

How do not gag with those things please I can't stand them I gag even thinking of them and I need to wear maybe just the tops to look good when I go back to looking for work in September. Trust me they are cut down enough I just can't stand them please help

My dentist put them in the same day so get a good dentist or denturist who knows what they are doing. Don't keep them out for days at a time, or your gums will heal in a way that won't fit your dentures. Fixodent is great, and I even put some along the roof of mine (mine was the addition of teeth on a pre-existing upper partial), and they stay in for about 3 days. Then, I soak them overnight so they will clean and my mouth can get some air. If you can afford them, CBOND is great. Keeping them secure and in place will help you eat and talk just fine. If they don't fit, go back and make it so they do. You paid enough for them, make them right!

Thank god there's people out there who can give advice I'm 32 and have just had partial upper dentures fitted. I am feeling pretty low in confidence because of them, but reading these comments have given me hope I'll get used to them and one day not feel so conscious. Many thanks xxx

Reading this information was so informative. I have 11 false teeth on top. Have the set for about 2 months. Still not used to it. In the beginning felt like my front lip was way to pushed up. Just felt like too much. I'm learning how to position my jaws still so that my top teeth can be inline with the bottom ones. I guess it just takes time man. I've definitely made progress in eating. I will never take out my dentures for anyone. My significant other will probably find out I have " falsies " the day I'm in my coffin. I will continue to try my best to get used to them. Thank you guys.

Just got a full upper set on August 2 after have 6 teeth extracted. At first they rubbed a sore on my gums but I went back to the dentist and they filed them down. I still got sore spots after that. Because I'm impatient, don't like pain, and didn't want to wait the 8 days to get back in, I just took them out and filed the area with an emery board. Worked pretty good bu now I have a sore spot on my palet. I have no trouble talking but eating hurts due to the sore spots made by the denture, not the extractions. It 's more irritating than anything. What can I do for the palet soreness? Most say just wait but again, I hate pain and it truly interferes with my ability to eat. This adjustment period is just taking too long. It's been 2 weeks already and I'm still very sore. I can't bite into anything that gives even the slightest crunch or of some consistency, like sliced apples or grilled chicken. How long before my palet stops hurting or should I have that part horseshoed out?

You probably look great too. I have a full upper. I love showing them off. I just hate this adjustment period where my palet is sore.

April 23, 2015 Flag

When biting down on food from the front of the dentures is it common that the back of the dentures come loose?

By Doug B.

Best Answer

As your gums heal (from the extractions) you'll experience more of this sort of thing - healing gums 'shrink' as the swelling goes down and the shrinking goes on for up to a year. You'll have been scheduled for appointments over the first year to make adjustments as needed (owing to the shrinking) so be sure to tell your dentist your plate is loose at the back when you bite down. He/she can make adjustments to improve the fit and if you're healing very quickly, you may be completely re-fitted before the year is over.

I've been wearing an upper partial plate for a few years now and still need to use an adhesive even after two complete refits as my sinus' and allergy problems cause my gums to swell and shrink intermittently - getting a tight fit is nearly impossible without the adhesive.

A quick fix until your next appointment is to use a denture adhesive. There are three types of denture adhesives on the supermarket and drugstore shelves: powder, gel or paste, and strips. I use a powder fix because it's so strong and easy to remove at the end of the day but you may find one of the other types work better for you.

Look for a zinc-free product unless you know for sure zinc doesn't bother you - I learned this the hard way and believe me the headache (if you're zinc sensitive) is horrific!

October 22, 2014 Flag

I just got my dentures yesterday. I have both upper and lower dentures. Would it be okay to get use to them one at a time? Like lowers first than uppers? Especially when eating. I tried a banana first. It was not pretty.

By Celina C

Best Answer

Try mashing bananas and other foods like cooked potatos and carrots, etc or blend meats like chops or steaks. If this is your first set and put in immediately after extractions, your mouth will be very sore. If this is another set of dentures, try wearing them daylight hours and remove at night to give gums a rest and prevent soreness.

Health & Beauty AdviceOctober 10, 2016
Woman wearing a sports bra.
Wearing Sports Bras
A woman in pain wearing dentures.
Remedies for Pain from Wearing Dentures
Temporary Dentures
Getting Temporary Dentures
New Dentures
Wearing New Dentures
🎉
🎄