Giving Medicine to Children

Giving Medicine to Children
It can be a challenge to get a child to take the medication they need. This guide is about giving medicine to children.

For those children who refuse to take medicine, do what I did. Tell them they can take the medicine by spoon, or you will go to the Pharmacy and get the suppository formula. You may be threatened by them with calling 911, but that little mouth will pop open voluntarily. The funny part is when they reach teen-age, then you get some REALLY nasty looks but they take the medicine. (no pun intended) No more begging or pleading; victory for the parent!

Young children can be very obstinate when it comes to taking medications, even if they are feeling ill. This is a guide about, "How do I get my toddler to take medicine?".

A picky toddler with a scrunched up face.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

If you have to give your toddler tylenol or other "dropper" medicine measure the medicine in the dropper then transfer to a spoon. That way you won't recontaminate them with the same sick germs later, or have to throw out the bottle of medicine.

By Melanie

Before you give your child a nasty tasting pill or medicine, try giving him a flavored frozen Popsicle to suck on. It'll help to anesthetize their sense of taste long enough to make the swallowing a little easier.

By Kathy