CatsPets

Giving a Cat Injections

We have a 12 year old cat who was diagnosed with CRF (chronic renal failure) and need to give her subcutaneous Ringers Lactate 150 cc twice weekly.

She hates them and we have to first catch her, then "trap" her in a towel to give these injections. We were told this will get easier, but the injection times seem to be getting worse, often times ending with little fluid able to be given, if at all. Any suggestions to make these life saving injections easier for her and us would be much appreciated. We are already using Terumo 18G needles, warming the fluid before injection, offering treats during injections and not much is working.

According to this article, it is easier if two people do it, you pinch some loose skin and you give the injection while the cat is eating. https://vcahosp  jections-to-cats

Anonymous

I have done this for a couple of my cats. Both were pretty easy going and I think that was a big part of my success. One just jumped on my lap and thought it was just part of the fun. I can't imagine how well I would do if the cat struggled, or was really distressed by it. A couple of thoughts, you could go back to your Vet for a follow up lesson to make sure you technique is as good as it can be. Usually one of the techs will help you. If you cant make it work, you have company.