Golden Retriever - Breed Information and Photos

It pays to do some research when choosing a new family member. This guide contains golden retriever - breed information and photos.

Breed Description: Golden Retrievers are hardy, well-built dogs with a wavy golden coat and gentle loyal nature. This breed of highly-trainable sporting dogs is confident, alert, and eager to please. Their scenting ability and responsiveness in the field makes them superior hunting dogs, while their gentle, loving nature make them good family dogs.

Group: Sporting Group.

Purpose of Breed: Retrieving birds

Country of Origin: English-Scottish Border

Average Size: Golden Retrievers range from 20 inches to 24 inches and from 60-70 pounds depending on sex.

Color(s): Any shade of gold or cream.

Coat Type: This breed has a dense, water-repellent coat that is either flat or wavy.

Grooming: The Golden Retriever is an average shedder. Their coat needs to be groomed at least twice-weekly to stay in top form. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads, and nails.

Exercise Needs: Golden Retrievers are active dogs that need daily outdoor exercise and human contact. This large, energetic breed needs daily outdoor exercise to maintain its physical and mental health. They especially enjoy games involving retrieving. Golden retrievers are not suited to apartment living.

Temperament: The Golden Retriever is gentle and easy to train and makes an excellent family dog. They are patient and gentle, making them wonderful companions for children. Golden retrievers are superb hunting dogs and are happiest when spending time with their family or when fetching and caring for their master. They also make excellent guard dogs.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to skin allergies, thyroid problems, eye problems, and hip dysplasia.

Life Expectancy: Averages 10-13 years.

Trivia: The first three dogs of any breed to win the title of AKC Obedience Champion, were all Golden Retrievers.

More Information: Golden Retriever Club of America

I love these dogs! I had a deep golden named Brandy...We save her from some one who just keep her in the garage while he was at work...in the dark. When he would come home he would let her out in the bright Fla. Sunlight. Brandy was going blind. We got her just in time. The owner didn't know what he was doing to her. Some people just don't think! DD

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Your Pet's Age
8 years old

Your Pet's Breed
Golden Retriever

How and when did you get your pet?
I was on the way to pick her up and I got a phone call from my doctor. He said that I may have breast cancer. When I picked her up, I knew she was my angel dog.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
She loves to play ball of any kind! She will play golf with the hubs. He will take a bucket of golf balls and hit them down through our planted pines. She will wait for him on the other end. She will chase them down and pile them back up for him! :) They will then switch sides. It is awesome!

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
She truly is an angel dog. She comforted me during my cancer scare and anytime that I feel sad, she can sense it. She will lay her head on my lap. A very, very special dog.

Comment Like this photo? 12

Your dog is beautiful, and I'm glad to hear you are okay!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Dobey is 3 years old, and a Golden Retriever. I was at the end of my pregnancy and my Aunt's dog had puppies. I swore I would never get a puppy but I felt it would be the right thing for my child to have growing up! Thank goodness I got him, he now has a daughter (my daughter - seen in this photo ) He likes to sit on the front porch and watch us feed our friend, the chipmunk. He enjoys running through the sprinkler and playing with water balloons with my daughter ("his daughter").

When my daughter was learning to go up and down the stairs alone, he would push his nose under her butt to make sure she would not fall back. If she was coming down the stairs, he stood in front of her. He is the pup that everyone needs around. He is like another father to my child. Always by her side and always there to protect her. As you can see in this photo, she climbed on the char to watch the chipmunk. He needed to be there at her side.

By Trista from Waterloo, Ont, Canada

Dobey (Golden Retriever)

Comment Like this photo? 21

You'll win this one. It's a great article. Both are beautiful. I love your dog's name. God knew what he was doing when He made dogs.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

In Memory of Zoe (Golden Retriever)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 23

We got Zoe when, on the way home from Six Flags, my dad (who was driving), took a wrong turn and spotted a "Golden Retriever puppies for sale!" sign. She was the last one for sale, but made an instant connection with my brothers and I.

Cuddles (Golden Retriever)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 12

Cuddles is 3 month old Golden Retriever. She was a pup from my dog's litter that I decided to keep. She loves to play with socks and run and rip around the house! She loves to tease her older aunt lab mix, Lucky, with it.

Winston (Golden Retriever)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 14

Winston is a 10 month old Golden Retriever. I bought him for my son last Christmas. My son was born on that day and always wanted his own dog. He takes excellent care of him and they sleep together every night.

Max (Golden Retriever)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 14

Max is a 6 year old Golden Retriever. Max is dog number three that we inherited from our son. He is a 100 pound retriever, and fits the name "Howard the Coward."

Scout With a Santa Hat

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 8

I bought him in the summer of 2012 for my mom's birthday.

Scout (Golden Retriever)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 11

This is my boy Scout enjoying the winter wonderland! Scout is a Golden Retriever who brings great joy to our lives. He will be six years old on March 28th.

Link (Golden Retriever)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 8

Link is an 8 years old Golden Retriever. We got him from a great breeder in Ottawa, KS. His mom's name is Winnie, she is a beautiful golden. He loves the dog park and running in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

Golden with a stuffy

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

I got her as a Christmas gift. We went to get her on the same day my doctor called to say I may have breast cancer. She is my angel dog as she stayed by my side as I went through a series of tests. Thankfully, it was not cancer!

Sandy on deck.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

I got her from a breeder a couple hours away from where I live. I brought her home in February 2012.

Golden Retriever

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1

Aloha! Lona'Kai and Jaxon Rolls-Royce are 9 month old Golden Retrievers. We purchased them from a breeder in May 2008. We selected Jaxon after playing with the puppies for a while, but Lona started crying when we were getting ready to leave, we had to take her too!

Maggie (Golden Retriever Mix) on a wooden deck

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

Maggie is 14 years old and a mixed Golden Retriever. Maggie was a rescue dog and was 14 months old when we brought her home. She was full grown, was house trained and was past that puppy chewing phase.

Ceile (Golden Retriever)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 8

Ceile (pronounced KeeLee) is a 7 year old Golden Retriever. I got Ceile from a breeder. Ceile likes to catch things, balls, popcorn, etc.

Kona (Golden Retriever) and Hannah (Samoyed/Golden Retriever)

Comment Like this photo? Yes

Hannah is 5 and is a Samoyed/Golden Retriever, Kona is 2 and is a Golden Retriever. Both beauties are rescued from animal shelters, using Petfinder.com. We adopted Hannah when she was 6 months old, and we adopted Kona when she was 1 1/2 years old.

Duchess (Golden Retriever)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Duchess is a 2 and a half year old Golden Retriever, that we bought in Poulsbo, WA. She likes to roll in the snow. She is a very kind dog that we got for 350 dollars. She really likes baths. She loves kids and going swimming to the beach. After a hard day she likes to sleep.

Sara (Golden Retriever)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Sara is an 8-1/2 year old Golden Retriever. We rescued her from an unscrupulous breeder who was using her as a puppy factory. Chewing sticks and going for walks are her favorite activities.

Sweetie Mae (Golden Retriever)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Sweetie Mae is a 5 month old Golden Retriever. She was a Mother's Day present.

Shannon (Golden Retriever)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Shannon is our 9 year old Golden Retriever. We got Shannon a year ago, the owners split up and had to find a home for her.

Bobbie (Golden Retriever)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Bobbie is an 8 year old Golden Retriever. One day we were just walking through the on post vet clinic where the strays are kept and as soon as we saw her we knew she was for us. So we adopted her in May 2002.

Chase (Golden Retriever)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Chase is a Golden Retriever and is now 4 1/2 months old. He was named Chase (Utley) after a Philadelphia Phillies baseball player. We brought Chase home from the breeder on Aug 1.

Brandy (Golden Retriever)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Brandy is 5 years old and is a Golden Retriever. We bought her as a puppy for our grandchildren. Brandy likes to fetch sticks and balls, eat, and, of course, swim in the family pool with her kids.

Emma (Golden Retriever)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Emma (Golden Retriever) and Houdini (Chicken). Emma is our 6 year old Golden Retriever, a lover of all except our cranky cat, Peterbilt.

Shiloh (Golden Retriever)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Shiloh is our 9 month old Golden Retriever. He was a wedding gift from my husband. We got married on June 19, 2005

Load More