Golden Retriever - Breed Information and Photos

It pays to do some research when choosing a new family member. This guide contains golden retriever - breed information and photos.

Filter Sort

In Memory of Zoe (Golden Retriever)

By hailey 3

We got Zoe when, on the way home from Six Flags, my dad (who was driving), took a wrong turn and spotted a "Golden Retriever puppies for sale!" sign. She was the last one for sale, but made an instant connection with my brothers and I.

She liked to play fetch, carry around her stuffed "babies", and eat the cat food. Zoe was born on July 4th 1999 and died of cancer on July 9th, 2007. She was a sweet and loyal friend until her last breath.

By Hailey

In Memory of Zoe (Golden Retriever)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Dobey (Golden Retriever)

Dobey is 3 years old, and a Golden Retriever. I was at the end of my pregnancy and my Aunt's dog had puppies. I swore I would never get a puppy but I felt it would be the right thing for my child to have growing up! Thank goodness I got him, he now has a daughter (my daughter - seen in this photo ) He likes to sit on the front porch and watch us feed our friend, the chipmunk. He enjoys running through the sprinkler and playing with water balloons with my daughter ("his daughter").

When my daughter was learning to go up and down the stairs alone, he would push his nose under her butt to make sure she would not fall back. If she was coming down the stairs, he stood in front of her. He is the pup that everyone needs around. He is like another father to my child. Always by her side and always there to protect her. As you can see in this photo, she climbed on the char to watch the chipmunk. He needed to be there at her side.

By Trista from Waterloo, Ont, Canada

Dobey (Golden Retriever)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Winston (Golden Retriever)

By Lori 3 1

Winston is a 10 month old Golden Retriever. I bought him for my son last Christmas. My son was born on that day and always wanted his own dog. He takes excellent care of him and they sleep together every night.

He carries a lamb toy around that squeaks, and talks to you when he has it. He loves to run fast in the field we have behind the house. Could not have ask for a better dog and very loving also.

By Lori

Winston (Golden Retriever)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Max (Golden Retriever)

By MI Sandi 6 9

Max is a 6 year old Golden Retriever. Max is dog number three that we inherited from our son. He is a 100 pound retriever, and fits the name "Howard the Coward."

He loves to retrieve sticks and toys, and is obsessed with tennis balls. He enjoys going for walks, hikes and rides in the car. He is extremely intelligent, and I believe someday he will be able to talk to us.

He loves his little brother Milo (a Shih Tzu mix, about a tenth of his size) and is very intimidated by him. He loves being on our pontoon boat, and is truly the captain!

By MI Sandi

Max (Golden Retriever)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Cuddles (Golden Retriever)

By Paula Scott 27 20

Cuddles is 3 month old Golden Retriever. She was a pup from my dog's litter that I decided to keep. She loves to play with socks and run and rip around the house! She loves to tease her older aunt lab mix, Lucky, with it. She is also a great cuddle bunny. She loves to snuggle in your lap and follow you around the house too. We call her the Velcro dog!

By Paula from GA

Cuddles (Golden Retriever)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Scout (Golden Retriever)

This is my boy Scout enjoying the winter wonderland! Scout is a Golden Retriever who brings great joy to our lives. He will be six years old on March 28th. He likes to hike, swim, run, jump, fetch, tennis balls, and ride in the car. He is not particularly fond of dog treats (go figure!), but loves beef jerky, Ritz Bitz crackers, and popcorn. Here is a pictures of him at weeks old, and another of him cruising in the car! Scout (Golden Retriever) Scout (Golden Retriever)

By Terri from Seattle, WA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Bailey (Golden Retriever)

By Paula Scott 27 20

Bailey with golf ball in mouth

Your Pet's Age
8 years old

Your Pet's Breed
Golden Retriever

How and when did you get your pet?
I was on the way to pick her up and I got a phone call from my doctor. He said that I may have breast cancer. When I picked her up, I knew she was my angel dog.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
She loves to play ball of any kind! She will play golf with the hubs. He will take a bucket of golf balls and hit them down through our planted pines. She will wait for him on the other end. She will chase them down and pile them back up for him! :) They will then switch sides. It is awesome!

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
She truly is an angel dog. She comforted me during my cancer scare and anytime that I feel sad, she can sense it. She will lay her head on my lap. A very, very special dog.

Bailey (Golden Retriever)Bailey (Golden Retriever)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Scout (Golden Retriever)

By kaleighh22 3

I bought him in the summer of 2012 for my mom's birthday.

Scout With a Santa Hat

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Link (Golden Retriever)

By linda roberts 7 40

Link is an 8 years old Golden Retriever. We got him from a great breeder in Ottawa, KS. His mom's name is Winnie, she is a beautiful golden. He loves the dog park and running in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

Link (Golden Retriever)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Hannah (Samoyed/Golden Retriever) and Kona (Golden Retriever)

By Shirley 12 72

Hannah is 5 and is a Samoyed/Golden Retriever, Kona is 2 and is a Golden Retriever. Both beauties are rescued from animal shelters, using Petfinder.com. We adopted Hannah when she was 6 months old, and we adopted Kona when she was 1 1/2 years old.

Kona (Golden Retriever) and Hannah (Samoyed/Golden Retriever)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Ceile (Golden Retriever)

By Vin 7 9

Ceile (pronounced KeeLee) is a 7 year old Golden Retriever. I got Ceile from a breeder. Ceile likes to catch things, balls, popcorn, etc.

Ceile (Golden Retriever)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Sandy

By kaleighh22 3

I got her from a breeder a couple hours away from where I live. I brought her home in February 2012.

Sandy on deck.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Lona'Kai and Jaxon Rolls-Royce (Golden Retriever)

By JoAnn 3 40

Aloha! Lona'Kai and Jaxon Rolls-Royce are 9 month old Golden Retrievers. We purchased them from a breeder in May 2008. We selected Jaxon after playing with the puppies for a while, but Lona started crying when we were getting ready to leave, we had to take her too!

Golden Retriever

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Maggie (Golden Retriever Mix)

By Diana 91 30

Maggie is 14 years old and a mixed Golden Retriever. Maggie was a rescue dog and was 14 months old when we brought her home. She was full grown, was house trained and was past that puppy chewing phase.

Maggie (Golden Retriever Mix) on a wooden deck

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Sara (Golden Retriever)

By lmlhlinc 10 10

Sara is an 8-1/2 year old Golden Retriever. We rescued her from an unscrupulous breeder who was using her as a puppy factory. Chewing sticks and going for walks are her favorite activities.

Sara (Golden Retriever)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Shannon (Golden Retriever)

By Judy Barr 5 5

Shannon is our 9 year old Golden Retriever. We got Shannon a year ago, the owners split up and had to find a home for her.

Shannon (Golden Retriever)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Bailey Belle (Golden Retriever)

By Paula S. 1

I got her as a Christmas gift. We went to get her on the same day my doctor called to say I may have breast cancer. She is my angel dog as she stayed by my side as I went through a series of tests. Thankfully, it was not cancer!

Golden with a stuffy

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Duchess (Golden Retriever)

By Sage 1

Duchess is a 2 and a half year old Golden Retriever, that we bought in Poulsbo, WA. She likes to roll in the snow. She is a very kind dog that we got for 350 dollars. She really likes baths. She loves kids and going swimming to the beach. After a hard day she likes to sleep.

Duchess (Golden Retriever)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Sweetie Mae (Golden Retriever)

By kristi 4 4

Sweetie Mae is a 5 month old Golden Retriever. She was a Mother's Day present.

Sweetie Mae (Golden Retriever)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Bobbie (Golden Retriever)

Bobbie is an 8 year old Golden Retriever. One day we were just walking through the on post vet clinic where the strays are kept and as soon as we saw her we knew she was for us. So we adopted her in May 2002.

Bobbie (Golden Retriever)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Chase (Golden Retriever)

By Kelly 6 25

Chase is a Golden Retriever and is now 4 1/2 months old. He was named Chase (Utley) after a Philadelphia Phillies baseball player. We brought Chase home from the breeder on Aug 1.

Chase (Golden Retriever)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Brandy (Golden Retriever)

By Linda 1

Brandy is 5 years old and is a Golden Retriever. We bought her as a puppy for our grandchildren. Brandy likes to fetch sticks and balls, eat, and, of course, swim in the family pool with her kids.

Brandy (Golden Retriever)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Emma (Golden Retriever) and Houdini (Chicken)

By SUZAN Cooke 2 1

Emma (Golden Retriever) and Houdini (Chicken). Emma is our 6 year old Golden Retriever, a lover of all except our cranky cat, Peterbilt.

Emma (Golden Retriever)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Shiloh (Golden Retriever)

Shiloh is our 9 month old Golden Retriever. He was a wedding gift from my husband. We got married on June 19, 2005

Shiloh (Golden Retriever)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Boogie (Golden Retriever)

By marta 1

Boogie is a 4 month old Golden Retriever. I got her from an ad on the net, nearby Rostock in Northern Germany.

Boogie (Golden Retriever)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Wayas (Golden Retriever)

This is my baby boy Wayas. He is a two year old Golden. A real part of our family. He goes crazy over the light "spots" on the walls or ceiling. Like if you were to shine a flashlight in the dark...he would chase it : )

Wayas (Golden Retriever)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Emmy (Golden Retriever)

This is my baby Emmy. She is a golden retriever. Any way, this is my baby, she is a year and 1/2 old. She sure is a lot of fun, she loves to steal everybody's socks and hide them behind the couch!

Emmy (Golden Retriever)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Bailey Belle (Golden Retriever)

By Paula Scott 27 20

Bailey Belle, nickname of Goldilocks! She is 2 years old and a Golden Retriever. I got her when she was 3 months old when I was facing possible cancer.

Bailey Belle (Golden Retriever)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Article: Breed Information: Golden Retriever

By EllenB 795 1

Golden RetrieverBreed Description: Golden Retrievers are hardy, well-built dogs with a wavy golden coat and gentle loyal nature. This breed of highly-trainable sporting dogs is confident, alert, and eager to please. Their scenting ability and responsiveness in the field makes them superior hunting dogs, while their gentle, loving nature make them good family dogs.

Group: Sporting Group.

Purpose of Breed: Retrieving birds

Country of Origin: English-Scottish Border

Average Size: Golden Retrievers range from 20 inches to 24 inches and from 60-70 pounds depending on sex.

Color(s): Any shade of gold or cream.

Coat Type: This breed has a dense, water-repellent coat that is either flat or wavy.

Grooming: The Golden Retriever is an average shedder. Their coat needs to be groomed at least twice-weekly to stay in top form. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads, and nails.

Exercise Needs: Golden Retrievers are active dogs that need daily outdoor exercise and human contact. This large, energetic breed needs daily outdoor exercise to maintain its physical and mental health. They especially enjoy games involving retrieving. Golden retrievers are not suited to apartment living.

Temperament: The Golden Retriever is gentle and easy to train and makes an excellent family dog. They are patient and gentle, making them wonderful companions for children. Golden retrievers are superb hunting dogs and are happiest when spending time with their family or when fetching and caring for their master. They also make excellent guard dogs.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to skin allergies, thyroid problems, eye problems, and hip dysplasia.

Life Expectancy: Averages 10-13 years.

Trivia: The first three dogs of any breed to win the title of AKC Obedience Champion, were all Golden Retrievers.

More Information: Golden Retriever Club of America

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Golden Retriever
Pets Dogs Dog Breeds Golden RetrieverDecember 9, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Golden Birthday Party
Golden Birthday Party Ideas
Golden Birthday Invitation
Golden Birthday Invitation Ideas
Credit Report
Providing Information to a Credit Bureau
Muffin (Golden Retriever - Chow Mix)
Golden Retriever/Chow Mix Photos
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 12:07:19 AM on 10.0.0.57 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsPhotos
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost CommentsFewest CommentsRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings