Question

Share | Account | About
Share>Account>About>

Golden Retriever - Breed Information and Photos

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Golden Retriever

It pays to do some research when choosing a new family member. This guide contains golden retriever - breed information and photos.

Solutions: Golden Retriever - Breed Information and Photos

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Article: Breed Information: Golden Retriever

Golden RetrieverBreed Description: Golden Retrievers are hardy, well-built dogs with a wavy golden coat and gentle loyal nature. This breed of highly-trainable sporting dogs is confident, alert and eager to please. Their scenting ability and responsiveness in the field makes them superior hunting dogs, while their gentle, loving nature make them good family dogs.

Group: Sporting Group.

Purpose of Breed: Retrieving birds

Country of Origin: English-Scottish Border

Average Size: Golden Retrievers range from 20 inches to 24 inches and from 60-70 pounds depending on sex.

Color(s): Any shade of gold or cream.

Coat Type: This breed has a dense, water-repellent coat that is either flat or wavy.

Grooming: The Golden Retriever is an average shedder. Their coat needs to be groomed at least twice-weekly to stay in top form. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads and nails.

Exercise Needs: Golden Retrievers are active dogs that need daily outdoor exercise and human contact. This large, energetic breed needs daily outdoor exercise to maintain its physical and mental health. They especially enjoy games involving retrieving. Golden retrievers are not suited to apartment living.

Temperament: The Golden Retriever is gentle and easy to train and makes an excellent family dog. They are patient and gentle, making them wonderful companions for children. Golden retrievers are superb hunting dogs and are happiest when spending time with their family or when fetching and caring for their master. They also make excellent guard dogs.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to skin allergies, thyroid problems, eye problems and hip dysplasia.

Life Expectancy: Averages 10-13 years.

Trivia: The first three dogs of any breed to win the title of AKC Obedience Champion, were all Golden Retrievers.

More Information: Golden Retriever Club of America

By Ellen Brown

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Photos

In Memory of Zoe (Golden Retriever)

We got Zoe when, on the way home from Six Flags, my dad (who was driving), took a wrong turn and spotted a "Golden Retriever puppies for sale!" sign. She was the last one for sale, but made an instant connection with my brothers and I.

She liked to play fetch, carry around her stuffed "babies", and eat the cat food. Zoe was born on July 4th 1999 and died of cancer on July 9th, 2007. She was a sweet and loyal friend until her last breath.

By Hailey

In Memory of Zoe (Golden Retriever)

Dobey (Golden Retriever)

Dobey is 3 years old, and a Golden Retriever. I was at the end of my pregnancy and my Aunt's dog had puppies. I swore I would never get a puppy but I felt it would be the right thing for my child to have growing up! Thank goodness I got him, he now has a daughter (my daughter - seen in this photo ) He likes to sit on the front porch and watch us feed our friend, the chipmunk. He enjoys running through the sprinkler and playing with water balloons with my daughter ("his daughter").

When my daughter was learning to go up and down the stairs alone, he would push his nose under her butt to make sure she would not fall back. If she was coming down the stairs, he stood in front of her. He is the pup that everyone needs around. He is like another father to my child. Always by her side and always there to protect her. As you can see in this photo, she climbed on the char to watch the chipmunk. He needed to be there at her side.

By Trista from Waterloo, Ont, Canada

Dobey (Golden Retriever)

Scout (Golden Retriever)

This is my boy Scout enjoying the winter wonderland! Scout is a Golden Retriever who brings great joy to our lives. He will be six years old on March 28th. He likes to hike, swim, run, jump, fetch, tennis balls, and ride in the car. He is not particularly fond of dog treats (go figure!), but loves beef jerky, Ritz Bitz crackers, and popcorn. Here is a pictures of him at weeks old, and another of him cruising in the car! Scout (Golden Retriever) Scout (Golden Retriever)

By Terri from Seattle, WA

Winston (Golden Retriever)

Winston is a 10 month old Golden Retriever. I bought him for my son last Christmas. My son was born on that day and always wanted his own dog. He takes excellent care of him and they sleep together every night.

He carries a lamb toy around that squeaks, and talks to you when he has it. He loves to run fast in the field we have behind the house. Could not have ask for a better dog and very loving also.

By Lori

Winston (Golden Retriever)

Max (Golden Retriever)

Max is a 6 year old Golden Retriever. Max is dog number three that we inherited from our son. He is a 100 pound retriever, and fits the name "Howard the Coward."

He loves to retrieve sticks and toys, and is obsessed with tennis balls. He enjoys going for walks, hikes and rides in the car. He is extremely intelligent, and I believe someday he will be able to talk to us.

He loves his little brother Milo (a Shih Tzu mix, about a tenth of his size) and is very intimidated by him. He loves being on our pontoon boat, and is truly the captain!

By MI Sandi

Max (Golden Retriever)

Cuddles (Golden Retriever)

Cuddles is 3 month old Golden Retriever. She was a pup from my dog's litter that I decided to keep. She loves to play with socks and run and rip around the house! She loves to tease her older aunt lab mix, Lucky, with it. She is also a great cuddle bunny. She loves to snuggle in your lap and follow you around the house too. We call her the Velcro dog!

By Paula from GA

Cuddles (Golden Retriever)

Link (Golden Retriever)

Link is an 8 years old Golden Retriever. We got him from a great breeder in Ottawa, KS. His mom's name is Winnie, she is a beautiful golden. He loves the dog park and running in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

By Linda R.

Link (Golden Retriever)

Scout (Golden Retriever)

Scout With a Santa Hat

Your Pet's Age
1 Year Old

Your Pet's Breed
Golden Retriever

How and when did you get your pet?
I bought him in the summer of 2012 for my mom's birthday.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Play, play, play, and play some more. He is always on the go. He loves to be outside, loves to chase balls, and loves to play with my other dog.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
He is such a sweet boy and very loving.

Scout with small white dog.scout

By

Ceile (Golden Retriever)

Ceile (pronounced KeeLee) is a 7 year old Golden Retriever. I got Ceile from a breeder. Ceile likes to catch things, balls, popcorn, etc.

She loves her walks and rides in the car. She likes to watch the happenings in the neighborhood from her yard. Ceile has has two large tumors removed from her neck. She is doing fine.

By Vin from AZ

Ceile (Golden Retriever)

Sandy

Sandy on deck.

Your Pet's Age
11 Months

Your Pet's Breed
Golden Retriever

How and when did you get your pet?
I got her from a breeder a couple hours away from where I live. I brought her home in February 2012.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
She likes to sleep, eat, and run outside with my other Golden Retriever, Scout.

She is the most loving dog I've ever met. I'm so blessed to have found her. I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Puppy on fabric.Sandy looking up.

By

Maggie (Golden Retriever Mix)

Maggie is 14 years old and a mixed Golden Retriever. Maggie was a rescue dog and was 14 months old when we brought her home. She was full grown, was house trained and was past that puppy chewing phase. Her personality was evident and we knew she would fit in with a 1 year old toddler and our 7 year old daughter.

We came to consider rescuing a dog due to a school project (persuasive letter) written by our 7 year old daughter asking us to get a dog (our previous pet had died 2 years prior). As you can see, her letter was VERY persuasive and we are so glad to have Maggie as an addition to our family.

She has brought us much joy over the years. Because of her age, we know she may only be with us a few more years. All Maggie does now is sleep. She use to LOVE to go on walks, but her age prohibits her from taking long walks anymore. She loves treats and can "do the hokey-pokey" for them Maggie is terribly aftaid of storms, loud noises and shotgun blasts. She rarely barks, is extremely affectionate and has the softest fur.

By Diana from Prospect, KY

Maggie (Golden Retriever Mix) on a tile floor.

Maggie (Golden Retriever Mix) on a wooden deck

Lona'Kai and Jaxon Rolls-Royce (Golden Retriever)

Aloha! Lona'Kai and Jaxon Rolls-Royce are 9 month old Golden Retrievers. We purchased them from a breeder in May 2008. We selected Jaxon after playing with the puppies for a while, but Lona started crying when we were getting ready to leave, we had to take her too!

They love car rides, shopping at pet stores, going for walks, playing with each other and learning obedience skills for treats. They are never far apart. So far everything I've heard about Golden Retrievers is true! They are really smart dogs, love water and pretty easy to train.

By Lona'Kai and Jaxon from Elkhart, IN

Golden Retriever

Duchess (Golden Retriever)

Duchess is a 2 and a half year old Golden Retriever, that we bought in Poulsbo, WA. She likes to roll in the snow. She is a very kind dog that we got for 350 dollars. She really likes baths. She loves kids and going swimming to the beach. After a hard day she likes to sleep.

By Sage from Bremerton, WA

Duchess (Golden Retriever)

Bailey Belle (Golden Retriever)

Bailey Belle, nickname of Goldilocks! She is 2 years old and a Golden Retriever. I got her when she was 3 months old when I was facing possible cancer. Was waiting on results. Results came back negative. Thank God!

Play "b-a-l-l" Shh! Don't say that where she can hear you...she'll go nuts! Sleep, get belly rubs and give snout sugar. She is just a fun, lovable pet and makes me smile when I come down my drive after a long, hard day. She can sit, stay, give me five, SPEAK, and say she's sorry (lay down and put her head on her paws and look up at you!)

By Paula from GA

Bailey Belle (Golden Retriever)

Bobbie (Golden Retriever)

Bobbie is an 8 year old Golden Retriever. One day we were just walking through the on post vet clinic where the strays are kept and as soon as we saw her we knew she was for us. So we adopted her in May 2002.

She loves going for a car ride and getting to stop by the gas station for a beef jerky. I would have to say is her all time favorite thing to do.

Just we were lucky to find her and have her in our lives.

By Jan from Fort Knox, KY

Bobbie (Golden Retriever)

Hannah (Samoyed/Golden Retriever) and Kona (Golden Retriever)

Hannah is 5 and is a Samoyed/Golden Retriever, Kona is 2 and is a Golden Retriever. Both beauties are rescued from animal shelters, using Petfinder.com. We adopted Hannah when she was 6 months old, and we adopted Kona when she was 1 1/2 years old.

Hannah loves walks, rides, chasing squirrels and eating tapioca pudding. Kona LOVES to play ball, and just being around humans! She, too, loves eating tapioca pudding! They are definitely lovers to us humans, they make our house a home!

By Shirley from Southwestern Michigan

Kona (Golden Retriever) and Hannah (Samoyed/Golden Retriever)

Chase (Golden Retriever)

Chase is a Golden Retriever and is now 4 1/2 months old. He was named Chase (Utley) after a Philadelphia Phillies baseball player. We brought Chase home from the breeder on Aug 1. He is seven weeks old in this picture.

Chase likes to do exactly what he is named, "CHASE!". Chase constantly chases my youngest son who is four. He's the slowest of the herd. LOL

By Kelly from Bensalem, PA

Chase (Golden Retriever)

Brandy (Golden Retriever)

Brandy is 5 years old and is a Golden Retriever. We bought her as a puppy for our grandchildren. Brandy likes to fetch sticks and balls, eat, and, of course, swim in the family pool with her kids.

Here is a candid adorable photo of my 3 1/2 yr old grandaughter supposedly getting herself ready for a safe dip in the pool with her dog. I guess she decided her beloved pet should be wearing the swimmies and floatation ring instead, but the bewildered and thankless look on Brandy's face seems to say "Just what part of webbed feet doesn't this kid understand?" Truly a "Golden Moment" I think for these two pals!

By Linda from Western NY

Brandy (Golden Retriever)

Sara (Golden Retriever)

Sara is an 8-1/2 year old Golden Retriever. We rescued her from an unscrupulous breeder who was using her as a puppy factory.

Chewing sticks and going for walks are her favorite activities. Snoozing in the grass in the sunshine is a close second!

This picture was taken shortly after a long walk. I think we wore her out!

By Becki from Logansport, IN

Sara (Golden Retriever)

Shannon (Golden Retriever)

Shannon is our 9 year old Golden Retriever. We got Shannon a year ago, the owners split up and had to find a home for her.

She loves to roll on her back and show off, also loves to race around in the snow. She will not do without her scarf on, if I don't put a clean one on immediately she drags her dirty one out of the laundry pile and tries to put it on herself. She is very vain.

By Judy from Lanark, Ontario, Canada

Shannon (Golden Retriever)

Emma (Golden Retriever) and Houdini (Chicken)

Emma is our 6 year old Golden Retriever, a lover of all except our cranky cat, Peterbilt.

I searched the want ads for a golden retriever I could afford. My daughter and I drove to the ferry boat and then drove another hour to check her out. It was love at first sight.

Emma likes to play frisbee, walking and play ball in that order.

Houdini is named that because the chicken always escaped from the pen. Both dog and chicken were soaking wet so my daughter put them in the laundry room together to dry off. We took this picture of the Houdini standing on Emma's back.

By Suzie from Renton, WA

Emma (Golden Retriever)

Shiloh (Golden Retriever)

Shiloh is our 9 month old Golden Retriever. He was a wedding gift from my husband. We got married on June 19, 2005. He loves to fetch a tennis ball and play tug of war

Shiloh is the sweetest and most loving puppy ever. Even though he already weighs 80 lbs, he still thinks he should be a lap dog! He will not leave my side for one moment when I'm home! This picture is from when we took him camping last summer.

By Dawn McGregor from Bay City, MI

Shiloh (Golden Retriever)

Boogie (Golden Retriever)

Boogie is a 4 month old Golden Retriever. I got her from an ad on the net, nearby Rostock in Northern Germany.

She loves to chew on rawhide bones, jump and run, give doggie kisses. She is the loveliest animal I have ever met!

Boogie (Golden Retriever)

By Bijou from Germany

Boogie (Golden Retriever)

Wayas (Golden Retriever)

This is my baby boy Wayas. He is a two year old Golden. A real part of our family. He goes crazy over the light "spots" on the walls or ceiling. Like if you were to shine a flashlight in the dark...he would chase it : )

I would recommend this breed of dogs if someone has smaller/any children. My youngest can climb all over him and ride him like a pony. He is so patient with her. Such a loving dog.

By Tracey

Wayas (Golden Retriever)

Emmy (Golden Retriever)

This is my baby Emmy. She is a golden retriever. Any way, this is my baby, she is a year and 1/2 old. She sure is a lot of fun, she loves to steal everybody's socks and hide them behind the couch!

At Christmas time we bought her these antlers of her very own. Needless to say they didn't last to long!

Emmy (Golden Retriever)