Grilled Cheese Tips and Tricks

Category Helpful Hints
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
A favorite toasted sandwich for many people. This guide contains grilled cheese tips and tricks.

Use a good quality mayo instead of butter when making grilled cheese sandwiches. It browns beautifully, and the flavor is wonderful. Mayo also has a fraction of the saturated fat of butter.

By jrmahon from Shreveport, LA

For a fast "not grilled cheese" sandwich, toast bread and butter the outsides. Place sliced cheese between two slices of toast and microwave for 30 seconds to melt cheese.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

My college aged son came up with this idea. He was tired of soggy grilled cheese sandwiches. Now when he makes them, he cuts them diagonally and sets them on the cut edge! No more sandwiches with one side that is damp from sitting on the plate. Simple, but brilliant!

Source: My son, Cory.

This along with a bowl of tomato soup is one of my husband's favorite meals! It's fast, easy, and a great twist on a classic grilled cheese!

Directions:

Heat or cook bacon according to package directions.

Sprinkle a little of each of above spices on one side of first slice of bread. Put piece of cheese over spices. Put bacon over cheese. Add another piece of cheese over bacon. Put second piece of bread on top.

Put butter on griddle or in pan. Let melt on medium heat. Add sandwich and "grill" on both sides until cheese is nicely melted.

Serve with your favorite tomato soup and let the dipping begin!

Servings: 1
Time:5 Minutes Preparation Time
5 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: My husband saw a similar recipe on TV years ago, and modified it to his liking.

By Elizabeth from Bainbridge, GA

As a student or anyone with no stove privileges, one can make a quick and easy grilled cheese sandwich on an iron. Assemble sandwich with buttered bread, wrap it in tin foil, and "fry" it on your iron. They turn out delicious with no dirty dishes.

By Carol from Kingston, Ont. Canada

A lowfat way to be able to enjoy a "grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup" is to toast the bread then add cheese and microwave 30 seconds or until the cheese melts! You don't have to load down with the butter and it's still very enjoyable!

By Veronica from Sedalia, Missouri

My mother used to make the nicest grilled cheese sandwiches in a Le Creuset frying pan (enamel coating with iron). Those are quite heavy. I recently purchased a Chantal skillet (enamel coating with carbon steel) and am wondering if anyone has found a difference between the two products. Or possibly they are so different that I am going to have to replace it with the exact pan my mother used.

Holly from Richardson, TX

Holly-- get a black iron griddle, season it and don't clean it too much-- just wipe it with salt and a cloth while barely warm-- rinse and store after drying-- beats everything for price and fine food-- and I think is much better, anyway. I have a Lodge round griddle-- of course, there is a two burner model, too. Found new ones at Academy sports store-- for campers, hunters.

good luck

If you like grilled cheese or your kids ask for them, try using mayonnaise on the outer sides of the bread instead of butter or oleo. Grill as usual, and the taste is so much better. I use Hellmans.

By Donna from Belle Vernon, PA

Answers:

Use Mayo When Making Grilled Cheese Instead Of Butter

A girlfriend of mine gave me this tip a couple of years ago and now I have trouble keeping mayo in the house. My daughter and I like the way the bread gets a golden brown and crisp, not mushy. (05/20/2008)

By Margy.

The only caveat to this is don't use low fat or diet mayo. The grilled cheese will stick to the griddle or frying pan even if you use a non-stick surface. I have been using this method for many, many years and it is great. (05/20/2008)

By Noreene