Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Growing Alstroemeria

Alstroemeria Flowers

These beautiful perennials, also know as Peruvian lily or lily of the Inca make an excellent, colorful addition to your garden and are lovely as cut flowers. This is a guide about growing alstroemeria.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Freesia and Alstroemeria (Moorpark, CA)

Freesia from Moorpark, CALavender freesia in the front yard. Most are white right now. I saw a red one open in The Path Garden today.

The Alstroemeria is a new one and this is the first bloom. Hoping for rain to help with the water bill. Tomorrow, it is supposed to be 80's and windy, which dries the garden faster. I hope to get out and water early.

Alstroemeria (Moorpark, CA)

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!

Here are questions related to Growing Alstroemeria.

Question: Looking For Information About "Alstroemeria" Plant

I am interested in planting perennials this year and have found a beautiful plant called "Alstroemeria". Can anyone provide me with info on this flowering plant and whether it can be planted in my zone in central Louisiana. As well as upkeep and so forth.

Nelwyn from Bunkie, LA

Most Recent Answer

By LAnBfflo04/22/2008

Hi there.
Those are some of my favorite flowers! They are also known as Peruvian lilies.
They come in many different colors, from white to deep maroon, to yellow, to pink, and lots of colors.
I found some good information on the NC State University website here:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/ ... heets/bulbs-summer/alstroemeria.html
They are hardy in your zone, they should grow quite nicely.
Stop into a nursery. The people that work there will have an abundance of information, and it will be relevant to your geographic area.
Also, there's a site called Daves Garden that has great gardening information as well. When we moved into our house, I didn't know my daffodils from my hostas. Now, I do! There are lots of pictures on Daves, too.
Have fun gardening!

Photos

New to the Garden (Alstroemeria and Lily)

The first flower bloomed this week. A lily that DD gave me. The second is the newest Alstroemeria called "Navajo Princess". Maroon and gold lily. Alstroemeria called

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

Maroon and gold lily.

Garden: Alstromeria

Hubby's sense of humor at work in the garden again. These Alstroemeria are small. I was told they are miniature (a gift from daughter-in-law). They are good bloomers here in Southern California.

By GG Vi

Small red flowering plants.