LawnGardening

Growing Grass Under a Large Maple Tree

I have two dogs that like to run like crazy and when they run they also stop on a dime and cut my grass. It is down to the bare bones dirt and it is underneath a huge maple tree which gets no sunlight at all. I live in Michigan and my soil is mostly a sand base so it's not ideal for growing grass either, but what is the best type to use? Should I put straw or netting down? I really don't want to, but I can put a big orange net around the area so they can't run there for now. I still don't think it will grow with the sun not there.

Visit the garden center. They have special grass seed for shady areas and for areas that have high traffic.

You can also call your local county agriculture agent and ask about what type of grass will grow best in your area (and he is not selling grass seeds or plugs). You will probably have to put something up to deter your dogs away from that area - at least until the grass takes a good foot hold.

Grass seeds and/or plugs are expensive and a lot of work so make sure you have a good plan before starting as it would not be a happy moment if all was destroyed in a few minutes of play.