Growing Grass Under a Large Maple Tree

Category Lawn
Trying to grow grass in the shade of a large tree means finding the best variety for the location. This is a page about growing grass under a large maple tree.

I have two dogs that like to run like crazy and when they run they also stop on a dime and cut my grass. It is down to the bare bones dirt and it is underneath a huge maple tree which gets no sunlight at all. I live in Michigan and my soil is mostly a sand base so it's not ideal for growing grass either, but what is the best type to use? Should I put straw or netting down? I really don't want to, but I can put a big orange net around the area so they can't run there for now. I still don't think it will grow with the sun not there.

Answers

Best Answer

Visit the garden center. They have special grass seed for shady areas and for areas that have high traffic.

Best Answer

You can also call your local county agriculture agent and ask about what type of grass will grow best in your area (and he is not selling grass seeds or plugs). You will probably have to put something up to deter your dogs away from that area - at least until the grass takes a good foot hold.

Grass seeds and/or plugs are expensive and a lot of work so make sure you have a good plan before starting as it would not be a happy moment if all was destroyed in a few minutes of play.

If it's shady and has poor drainage you're wasting your time trying to grow grass. In addition to the shade, maple trees have a lot of surface feeder roots that will draw most of the moisture and nutrients out of the soil before turfgrasses can benefit.
But you can try if you wish, of course, according to this guide www.gardeningknowhow.com/.../tips-for-growing-grass-under-a-tree... - "Fescues, St. Augustinegrass, zoysiagrass and rough bluegrass are species of grass that can tolerate some shade".

I'm in a similar position, and I have a tree that shades the front lawn. The sun doesn't get there at all in the winter and is only on the grass for a couple of hours in the evening. We've just put some artificial turf (wisepick.org/.../) down in a sunless area under the trees and it looks just fine.
It also works if you are a dog owner: pet's urine kills the grass, and astro turf is much easier to maintain.

In These Pages
Home and Garden Gardening LawnMarch 30, 2018
🌻
🎃
🎂