Growing Maple Trees

Category Trees
Red maple, sugar, maple, Japanese maple, there are several species of maple tree from which to choose. This is a page about growing maple trees.

I pulled this maple tree seedling from one of my outdoor potted plants this morning and thought it might be of interest to those who might want to share it with their children, as it illustrates perfectly how seeds become plants.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I live in Brazil Campo Grande, MS (south central region) where the climate is equivalent to south Texas. Here the summers are warm and humid (19ºc 68ºf to 29ºc 84ºf) the winters are dry and cool (4ºc 38ºf to 25ºc 77ºf). The seasons are not so defined here. In late winter we can have very hot temperatures, reaching 36ºC degrees and 2 months without rain (August and September). I really love autumn leaf colors, but here we don't have these kind of trees. I have some maple tree seedlings Japanese, red, silver, and sugar maple. They're 1.5m (4ft) high. I heard that maples need snow to grow well. Is it true? Do you think they will survive here? Will the leaves change color?

I already planted other similar trees like red oak, white oak, liquidambar, and plane tree and they are growing kinda well here.

Answers

Most of the folks on this site are in the US so we probably won't be able to help as much as we would like.

I can tell you from experience, maples, while lovely trees, have roots that can cause massive damage to homes and sidewalks, so be very, very careful where you plant these lovely trees.

When I moved into my home I had almost a dozen maples of various kinds and ages and all had to be removed by the 10th year as they had started pushing on my foundation, broke into my sewer line and totally uprooted my sidewalk. We spent thousands of dollars in repairs and tree removal.

I miss them. They were home to many birds, squirrels and such, but their roots are a nightmare and my home was suffering.

Just my two cents worth about the trees!

That all said, you may want to talk to your local agriculture school and see what they recommend for planting in your country.

Post back what you learn!! Thanks for asking. Sorry that I could not have been of more help!

Maple trees are suited for a climate in the northeast United States. They wont do well in a Texas climate.

I will try to answer your question. Maple trees will have a difficult time growing in your zone but some may survive if you grow them in partial shade (remember - may grow) as this is not the best climate for growing any kind of maple tree.

• It seems that your area is listed as being in the equivalent of our USDA zone 10 and this is not usually good for growing maples.
  • Here are how your zones look so you can check for what trees grow best in these zones.
  • www.plantsdb.gr/.../275-hardiness-zones-central-south...
  • www.gardeningknowhow.com/.../uk-hardiness-zones.htm
  • Still - some trees/plants fool us and grow places that do not seem possible so try your hand and see what happens.
  • I guess I do not have the same opinion as some about where maple trees grow best as I have lived in Florida (USDA zones 8 & 9) for 84 years and maple trees flourish here all year long.
  • I have always tried to consult my agriculture agent before planting any kind of tree because they generally have all of the pros and cons of what grows best in their particular area/USDA zone. Trees to me are a "forever" planting so I do not want to plant one in the wrong place.
  • Advertisement

• I was given the following information about maple trees:
  • Silver maples have the most invasive roots and should not be planted near a building due to possible foundation problems but other maples do not have strong invasive roots but still should not be planted near any building.
  • Almost all maples (except silver maple) have somewhat shallow roots and are prone to being uprooted if subjected to hurricane force winds (which we do have occasionally in some areas of Florida) so should be planted in an open area. I, personally, have never seen an uprooted maple tree.
  • Here is a comment from their office about growing maples: "The tree doesn't work well near sidewalks or driveways because its roots grow close to the surface and can cause those surfaces to buckle."
  • Advertisement

• Maple trees do not need snow or cold weather to grow 40-100 feet and generally will not grow in very cold climates as they will freeze.
  • It seems Maple trees best growing zones are 5-9 (Pghgirl's zones in Philadelphia run from 5-7 and maybe even some 8 so maple trees should thrive in that area). It is the zones above 5 that are usually stated as not being suitable for growing maples.
  • I am far from an expert on this and only have my personal observations to stand on but most of this is information from my agriculture agent and I depend on their "plant" knowledge a lot so I hope they know their "stuff" about maples.
  • homeguides.sfgate.com/maple-trees-zones-8-9-63340.html
  • The one maple tree that seems to be the most finicky in growing matters is the Japanese maple and although I have grown several it does not always fall in line with other maples.
  • www.gardeningknowhow.com/.../zone-9-japanese-maple-trees.htm
  • Maple trees are one of the best trees for bonsai displays.

Thank you so much for all these information!! So maple trees doesn't need cold weather to grow? They need less sunlight in the winter to change colors?

Maple trees can take full sunlight in my part of the world but I have been told that higher zones (like yours) need less sun but will still struggle.
If I find out anymore about growing them in your zone, I will post that information.
The colors are beautiful but they do not seem to last for very long.
Remember; nothing ventured nothing gained.
Since you already have the trees I would suggest planting them in 5 gallon containers (make sure of excellent drainage and very loose soil - mix good soil with perilite) to begin their growth so you can move them to different areas if necessary.

Last fall I was given little shoots of some red maple trees. They all have a great root base established now, however, they are very tiny, some are less than a foot tall. My concern is we live in a very open area with a lot of wind. Should I continue growing them in small flower pots until they grow a little more, or should I transplant them now.

By kimberly from Monroe, MI

Answers

We bought some very small bare root trees last year and planted them then. I staked them because we get some high winds also. I tied them with strips of nylon net in several places. They're doing fine now and growing already.

Like Glenn's Mom said, I think you can plant them now as long as you stake them.

No baby them longer.

We have had no rain at all in Maryland for three weeks. I have a 25 year old maple tree that has bunches of leaves that are turning like they are going to die. I soaked the tree about two days ago, but it doesn't seem to have helped. I am worried I will lose the tree. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Betty

By Betty from Abingdon, MD

Answers

Trees in a prolonged drought will be distressed and drop their leaves early. It helps them to conserve what water they can get. A 25 year old tree should have reasonably deep roots so it should be able to access deep water. It should be ok next year as long as the drought doesn't go on too long or happen too often. If you do water , really really soak it to avoid bringing the roots to the surface but I it sounds as if you know that anyway We're getting this problem too, it hurts to look at them. Best of luck.
Marg from England.

Marg.
Thank you so much for your answer. I really appreciate it. We have had 3 days of rain in the last 4 days so I think the worst is over. As you said it hurts to look at those bunches of brown leaves.
Betty from Abingdon, MD

Something nipped the top off my prized red maple seedling that I brought from my mom's house and planted last year. Since the main "trunk" (1/4 or 3/8 inch in diameter) was snapped off about one foot off the ground, the seedling has sprouted several very healthy side branches, the largest emanating from approximately 1 inch above the ground level.

Should I worry about the future full-grown tree trunk being weak and susceptible to splitting because of this situation? My mom has passed away and it would be difficult for me to get another seedling from the maple tree where she used to live, but if this one is ultimately doomed to have a weak trunk, should I not waste my time on it?

By Harriett from northwest AR

Answers

I would leave it alone for a couple of years and let it recover and then prune some of the side branches. The new leader will become stronger. I would prune the broken part even so the tree can heal itself. Maples are tough.

When you prune it leave one branch. It will become a tree. I have done this with maples & other trees. I prune in the fall, good luck.

I have many maple trees around my house. A lot of the leaves have spores on the leaves and the leaves are very sticky. The sap is all over my deck and my house. When we are outside our clothes get sticky. Why is this happening? It has never been like this before.

Answers

Maple tree leaking sap

Step 1
Animals puncturing tree

Step 2
Pruning

Step 3
Disease

When does a harlequin maple produce it's seeds?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Barbara from Fitchburg, MA

Answers

Harlequin maple is a form of Norway maple. But the source I checked said "plant does not set seed, flowers are sterile, or plants will not come true from seed." Sorry! It doesn't sound like you can propagate this from seed.

Why is my sugar maple tree's leaves turning brown on the edge of the leaf?

By LF

We have 2 small Japanese maple trees in our front yard. One of them is mostly dead with a small amount of leaves on the bottom. the other did very well over the winter. I'm wondering if there's a way that I can trim the one and graft it or plant it with the one that didn't do so well. How would I go about doing that?

Hardiness zone: 6a

Tina from Pontiac, MI

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Photo Description
I had to cut down a small maple tree. It was growing too close to a retaining wall. With so much going on, I hadn't gotten around to removing the stump.

While checking on my flowers after a hard rain, I noticed several water sprouts had grown up from the base of the stump. The leaves on the sprouts were alive with colors usually found in autumn rather than spring.

I thought some of you might enjoy seeing this 'fall' display in late May.

We don't need to go on a long nature trek to observe beauty. Beauty is all around us if only we will choose to see it.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

Maple leaves turning color is a sign of the arrival of autumn. However, if your maple's leaves are turning early, it may be a sign of distress. This is a page about maple tree losing its leaves early.

Orange Maple Leaves

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

The sugar maple, red maple, and black maple trees are the source of the sap that is used to make delicious maple syrup. This is a page about which varieties of maple trees produce sap for making syrup?

Tapped Maple Trees

Home and Garden Gardening TreesFebruary 6, 2015
🐛
📓
😷
🌻
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Growing-Maple-Trees.html