Growing Plumbago

I have several plumbagos that I planted several years ago. They are very large, but have spread out from a hole in the middle of the plant instead of standing upright. What can I do?

By Peg C

Answers

Plumbago has a spreading-droopy nature, and as such will not grow upright unless you stake it. Luckily, it takes to staking rather nicely, just be sure that you don't cut the stems by tying them too tightly to the stakes.

I suspect you saw one or several in a display that were growing in an upright manner, I've even seen them braided, and because the braiding is done around a stake, the stake is hidden and it looks as though the braid is holding the plant upright. It's not, but as I wrote, the stake is hidden. It makes for a very pretty display but unfortunately not everyone knows the plant doesn't come that way straight from Nature, but must be trained to grow that way and then supported in the upright position.

It's not that hard too do, I hope you decide to do it-I think you'll be very happy with the way the plant looks!