Growing Plumbago

I have several plumbagos that I planted several years ago. They are very large, but have spread out from a hole in the middle of the plant instead of standing upright. What can I do?

By Peg C

Plumbago has a spreading-droopy nature, and as such will not grow upright unless you stake it. Luckily, it takes to staking rather nicely, just be sure that you don't cut the stems by tying them too tightly to the stakes.

I suspect you saw one or several in a display that were growing in an upright manner, I've even seen them braided, and because the braiding is done around a stake, the stake is hidden and it looks as though the braid is holding the plant upright. It's not, but as I wrote, the stake is hidden. It makes for a very pretty display but unfortunately not everyone knows the plant doesn't come that way straight from Nature, but must be trained to grow that way and then supported in the upright position.

It's not that hard too do, I hope you decide to do it-I think you'll be very happy with the way the plant looks!

Growing a Plumbago
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJuly 29, 2011
Half of a honeydew melon and slices.
Growing Honeydew Melons
Growing your own wedding flowers.
Growing Your Own Wedding Flowers
Veggie seeds.
Growing Vegetables from Seeds
Peach pits and fruit on white background.
Growing Peach Trees from Pits