HELP! Permanent Marker on Leather Couch

My daughter recently marked on my friend's leather couch with a Sharpie permanent

marker! How in the world can I get that out? Please help!

HELP! Permanent Marker on Leather Couch

My daughter recently marked on my friends leather couch with a Sharpie permanent

removing permanent marker from leather

I tried everything from Resolve Carpet Cleaner to the vodka myth and the only thing that

worked for me was the rubbing alcohol. I was amazed at how fast it got it out of the

leather, it not only saved the leather it saved me from being in some deep trouble!

By Danielle

HELP! Permanent Marker on Leather Couch

Use a very small amount of Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil on a soft cloth and test a spot on

the back of the couch first. It worked for me. (01/18/2005)

By Laurie

HELP! Permanent Marker on Leather Couch

I had tried everything on here and more to remove permanent marker on my leather sofa,

nothing worked. At wits end, I tried this sponge thing called Magic Eraser. I can't

believe it worked like a dream! As a bonus, I use this product called Gardenia leather

protective cream. Wow, my 3 year old sofa looks brand new. (12/28/2005)

By Sheilah

HELP! Permanent Marker on Leather Couch

I've used Soft Scrub (without bleach) and a denture brush to clean Sharpie marker off of

my navy leather sofa, wooden chairs and tables, my kitchen cabinets and my flat stove

top. I also use it to remove the stains in my white kitchen sink and from my teenage

daughters white flip flops. If you're willing to give it a try, test in an inconspicuous

place first. Good luck! (03/18/2006)

By profile=thr257648">Leeaura

jacobe and Riley

"...everything we read on this website didn't work even alcohol."
Try using a stronger rubbing alcohol. I'm not sure where you live, but when I lived in

the DC area Safeways usually carried 99.9%. It's hard to find otherwise. If you do, test

it on a part of the leather that isn't easily viewed first. (08/08/2006)

By Steve

HELP! Permanent Marker on Leather Couch

My son accidentally marked our pale yellow leather lounge with Sharpie black permanent

marker. After reading through the rest of the feedback on this site and hearing that

everyone had used rubbing alcohol, I was feeling a bit desperate as I don't have any

rubbing alcohol! Someone mentioned spit, so my son used an old towel and his own spit

and it worked a treat, with no affect on the leather at all. I did this asap after it

happened though, probably no more than 10 minutes. (10/18/2006)

By Yvette

HELP! Permanent Marker on Leather Couch

I tried baby oil to get black permanent marker out of my red leather purse, it was

unsuccessful. The thing that worker for me was the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Be careful

not to rub too hard because it will take some of the color off the leather, but it works

like a charm! Good luck. (11/10/2006)

By Steph

HELP! Permanent Marker on Leather Couch

I just used nail polish remover and it worked, not that much rubbing, got a cotton ball

and it worked, wipe over it with a wet cloth after you finish. It takes a little of the

shine off the couch and a little colour (my couch is beige) so you cant see it that

much. (02/07/2007)

By Sharon

HELP! Permanent Marker on Leather Couch

My husband told me once that WD-40 would remove a Sharpie permanent marker stain. He was

right! I had to apply it 3 times, scrubbing with a soft cloth each time, but it didn't

take long and the mark was completely gone, no damage done. (03/19/2007)

By tismom

HELP! Permanent Marker on Leather Couch

My 15-month-old marked my leather recliner with Sharpie, all over it! I didn't use any

of the above mentioned remedies, as I didn't want to mar the finish. You know what works?

- old-fashioned soap and water and lots of elbow grease. Sharpie is not actually

permanent, as a preschool teacher, I can tell you it wears off of everything eventually.

If this happens to you, just keep on scrubbin' - it will work. (03/23/2007)

By Amy

Permanent Marker on Leather Couch

I used OFF! just like someone earlier suggested when my little cousins completely

covered my mom's dark brown leather couch in marker. It worked perfectly. The finger

nail polish remover and WD-40 just made the couch extra shiny, but didn't remove the

stain. The OFF! worked and didn't even damage the couch (at least as far as I can tell)

HELP! Permanent Marker on Leather Couch

I had a slumber party, and the last one asleep got a Sharpie makeover. So, in the

morning, we discovered our whole entire caramel leather couch was covered in blue

Sharpie. After my mom had a cow, and my dad yelled at me, I tried everything, but

nothing worked. Finally, I used the Neutrogena Sunblock Spray (SPF 45) which worked like

a charm. It's easier to let it sit for a few seconds. NEVER USE OIL BASED - it takes out

the top layer. (06/03/2007)

By Relieved

HELP! Permanent Marker on Leather Couch

I got it all off using non-acetone polish remover called Simply Basic polish remover,

non acetone. It did not hurt the leather material nor change the colour either.

By M.T.

HELP! Permanent Marker on Leather Couch

I set a back that was labeled with permanent marker on my car seat. The ink was smeared

on my seat. I have light tan leather seats, I tried multiple things to remove it and

nothing worked. I tried the Banana Boat Sunscreen and it worked. It took multiple

applications and letting the sunscreen sit for about 1 minute then wipe and reapply.

Thank you for the tip, it is great. (12/19/2007)

By Elaine

HELP! Permanent Marker on Dark Brown Leather Couch

We tryed everything even vodka it help fade it, but I didn't get rid of it all. So we

tryed Netto Remo All Purpose liquid cleaner. We scrubbed it with our old tooth brush. And

that worked the best. (01/28/2008)

By sue

HELP! Permanent Marker on Leather Couch

My grandson drew smiley faces all over my tan leather sofa with a black permanent

marker. I tried the Avon skin so soft oil and 95% came off with just a cotton ball.

Thank you. I did rinse with a little Dial soap and water just to remove the oil.

By Debbie

HELP! Permanent Marker on Leather Couch

My artistic 3 1/2 year old used rub-a-dub permanent
marker (laundry perm marker) which is meant not to come off on a tan leather chair.

Coppertone continuous spray got it off 100% thank goodness since it was not my house he

did it at. It really really works. (05/16/2008)

By By:Mariana

HELP! Permanent Marker on Leather Couch

We didn't have any Coppertone, but we did have Banana Boat and it took the Sharpie off of

my leather couch. This is one of the coolest things to know. (06/12/2008)

By mad dad

HELP! Permanent Marker on Leather Couch

My son got permanent black marker on our brand new tan leather couch. I came here for

answers because leather cleaner didn't work. I tried rubbing alcohol which worked some,

but eventually began discoloring the couch. Out of desperation I tried Coppertone spray

sunblock, I was totally shocked when it took the ink off like nothing. I didn't even

have to scrub and no discoloration at all. Thanks to all who suggested it. Amazing.

By Brandon

HELP! Permanent Marker on Leather Couch

Thank goodness I found this website. My husband just got a new chair and is in love

with it! This morning after a triathlon, the permanent marker on my arm rubbed off onto

the leather seat. Needless to say I felt like total crap especially after he used his

fancy leather cleaner stuff on it and nothing changed. Thank goodness for Banana Boat

Sport spray and this website :) (09/14/2008)

By omc

HELP! Permanent Marker on Leather Couch

Thank you so much, spf 30 Clinique did the trick. It removed red gel marker off my

brown leather couch, a life saver. (12/19/2008)

By Gena

Sharpie Marker on Leather Couch
Cleaning Permanent (Sharpie) Marker from Leather Furniture
Permanent Markers
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl and Linoleum Floor
Dry Erase Markers
Removing Dry Erase Marker from a Couch
A colorful wooden dresser.
Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic