Hair Dye Stain in a Sink

Hair Dye Stain in a Sink

How do I remove black hair dye from my sink? Usually, I am able to remove hair dye from the sink after coloring my hair using Ajax. This time (I don't know if it is the color, black, or what) I cannot get the stains out at all. Any ideas?

Thanks so much.
Anjeena from NY

Answers:

Hair Dye Stain in a Sink

I take Clorox Softscrub with bleach, put a squirt on it and leave it there to bleach it out. (06/12/2006)

By Tina

Hair Dye Stain in a Sink

Anti dandruff shampoo strips colour from your hair so try it on the sink. Black is especially tricky to remove though. (06/13/2006)

By Luci

Hair Dye Stain in a Sink

Clorox CleanUp is my answer to almost any stain. Works great! (06/14/2006)

By Claudia-MD

Hair Dye Stain in a Sink

Did you try one of the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers? They seem to work well on a lot of things. (06/14/2006)

By dosize

Hair Dye Stain in a Sink

Thank you all for your replies. I can see I'm not the only one with this problem.
Finally, I have made some progress. Have done the following 3 times and most of the stain is gone.

1. Clean the sink or area and thoroughly dry.
  2. Make a paste of pure chlorine bleach and Ajax.
  3. Apply to the affected area with a dry white cloth (something absorbent, such as an old cotton towel). Apply liberally, gently rubbing in as you go.
  4. Leave on for about 30 minutes/more if needed.
  5. Rinse with the cloth you used thoroughly and allow to dry.
  6. Do again the next day and so on.

Now the big question is: How to avoid getting stains in the sink when I dye my hair? Any ideas anyone?

Thanks again for all your suggestions. I hope these have helped us all.

(06/14/2006)

By Anjeena

Hair Dye Stain in a Sink

About your request to prevent future stains:

I had this crazy thought. It might work or it might not! Try drying your sink very thoroughly, maybe even using the blow dryer on it! Then spray the dried sink with Pam or some other type of non-stick cooking spray. As long as you don't get the spray in or on your hair before the coloring process it shouldn't affect your color. If you try this let us know if it works. (06/19/2006)

By Grandma Margie

Hair Dye Stain in a Sink

I had the same problem. Try nail polish remover. (06/23/2006)

By Katie

Hair Dye Stain in a Sink

Thank you so much. Mr. Clean eraser worked like magic! (06/09/2007)

By Sonia

Hair Dye Stain in a Sink

Oh my gosh. I was staying with some family for a few months out of state and accidentally got hair dye on their counter and could not get it out! It's been there for 3 months now and I've been covering with a soap thingy. (I have my own private bath) I've been so uncomfortable whenever they would go in my bathroom and I dreaded the day they found out! Well I'm leaving tomorrow and I was positive they would find it shortly thereafter. In desperation I Googled how to get this stain out and came on this site. I didn't have Mr. Clean eraser, but I did have a Clorox bleach pen. The stain came right out. I love all of you dearly.
(11/20/2007)

By amazed!

Hair Dye Stain in a Sink

Spritz some hairspray where the dye dripped, and let it soak for five minutes before wiping away. Works every time for me! (08/06/2008)

By Heather

Hair Dye Stain in a Sink

To avoid it, put down a trash bag over the sink. Then put your hair color and stuff on the trash bag. It will protect you sink from getting a gloppy (09/10/2008)

By Kathleen

Hair Dye Stain in a Sink

Just use fingernail polish remover for your sink, counter top, or vinyl flooring. It comes right out! (10/08/2008)

By TeQuerra

Hair Dye Stain in a Sink

I ended up getting hair dye on the lino floor. We tried everything from Olay facial cleanser to nail polish remover and nothing seemed to work so we tried Lysol with bleach toilet bowl cleaner and it worked. We had it sit on for 30 minutes and the stain was gone. The linoleum was a white with beige speckles and all it took out was the hair dye. Best thing ever. (11/24/2008)

The comet and nail polish remover worked for me got the stains right out with little scrubbing with a paper towel

I dyed my hair in a dorm room and got it on the lino floor, we took alcoholic pads you used for cleaning your face and scrubbed it and it came right out. It was dark purple hair dye as well.

Well í just. Got finished dying my hair. And got dye all over my sink.... .. I started to panic.. But. I grabed the first thing in my reach..... Dont ask me why but. I grabed Colgate toothpast and it ACTUALLY works. Got the whole stains out.. Just by rubbing it.

Before I dye my hair, I place newspaper or paper towels across the entire sink. Any splashes or drips will be collected on the paper products. When done, just throw it out. Its too easy not to try it this way. It will save your sinks and eliminate the need for harsh products on your hands too.

Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
A woman dyeing her hair at home.
Removing Hair Dye from a Linoleum or Vinyl Floor
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
🎉
🎄