Healthy Eating Advice

A happy woman eating a salad.
Eating a balanced diet is a great way to feel better and maintain a healthy weight. Finding new ways to eat healthy foods makes it easy eat well. This is a guide about healthy eating advice.

I'm 67, a wife, mom, grandma of 21 great kids and will soon be a great grandma. I want to be around for all of them as long as God allows, but I can't leave it all up to Him.

One of the best things I've done for myself is to stop drinking soda pops. I know the soft drink companies won't appreciate me, but after a year of no pop, I've lost weight, my arthritis is better, my waistline is smaller, and my belly is smaller. I seldom experience bloating and I'm saving on the grocery bill.

Cool, filtered water is now my favorite drink. This is from a former cola addict! I also exercise three times a week and do stretches and take walks in between. No walks lately. Sandusky is very cold and icy. So I'm staying in and working on improving my eating habits.

Source: My need to get healthier.

By Shirley from Sandusky, OH

I dehydrate many of my home grown vegetables and then grind them and further reduce them to powder in my blender. Then I store the powder in the freezer and use it all winter long in several ways. They can be added to ground meat dishes, used in soups, stews, sauces and gravies, even added to breads and cookies. This is a great way to sneak more vegetables into your picky eaters.

Seagrape

Yes, Virginia, it is possible to eat healthy AND save money. If you are looking for a good New Year's resolution next month, here's food for thought. Use more beans, legumes, grains and seeds in your diet!

They are loaded with important antioxidant ingredients for your health, satisfy your hunger, reduce your eating of expensive meat and are one of the least expensive protein sources we have available to us! Plus they offer the added benefit of fiber, which is sorely missing in our diets and may be the cause of many illnesses!

Start out slow if you need to. Buy a can of any one type of bean and divide it up into an ice cube tray, slowly adding it to your regular meals; salads, stews, soups, even serve them mashed up and added to ground meat, mashed potatoes, etc.

Gradually add more and eventually try making recipes from dried bean packets (really cheap!) in crockpots, etc. You can even make sandwich spreads with mashed beans and a little olive oil. Hummus is really just chick peas, so they can even replace unhealthy dips too!

I promise you can save money at the grocers AND the doctors office with a diet that includes more beans, legumes, grains and seeds. My newest favorite is quinoa, which is a multicolored bunch of seeds/grain that has great health benefits! When cooked, some of the seeds even sprout!

Healthy Holidays everyone!

These are my favorite sites that provide information and resources to help plan healthy meals. These will save you money and time. Enjoy!

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

After exploring the Atkins diet, Nutrisystem, and various other diets and diet advice, this is the best diet advice I have to offer. This simple advice will keep your weight in check and ensure that you have good health and energy.

Eat mostly grilled or baked chicken and seafood and fresh or steamed vegetables and fresh fruits. Buy the best that you can afford, avoiding seafood that is high in mercury. Seriously, we buy the best pet foods for our dogs and cats. Shouldn't we make sure we are feeding ourselves the best as well?

Eat everything else in moderation. Nuts, tofu, soy milk, brown rice, cheese, eggs, yogurt, beans, chick peas, extra virgin olive oil, whole grains - especially sprouted grain breads are all good add-ons. Don't give up the dark chocolate, just keep it to one or two pieces per day. Don't give up the occasional so-called bad food because if you feel deprived you will end up going on calorie overload. Plus people who turn down even a small piece of birthday cake are a little screwed up.

Experiment with spices - rosemary is amazing on baked or grilled chicken; garam masala is delicious on grilled fish. My meals are always aesthetically pleasing and I don't have to be an expert cook to prepare them. Seriously, sometimes I pause to admire the beauty of a colorful plate of steamed veggies, the oranges, greens, yellows or reds, and the golden grilled fish or chicken beside it. Think of how blessed you are to be able to eat healthful food. Why eat heavily processed junk with ingredients our grandparents would never have heard of?

Obviously, if you have food allergies or special dietary needs, you have to adjust accordingly.

By susannl from St. Coud, FL

Claire Bush0 found this helpful

Diet is a four letter word! Restrictions lead to a feeling of deprivation and that leads - you guessed it - right to the kitchen cupboard, in search of a reward.

basket of fresh food

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

When cooking rice either brown or white; I add a few tablespoons of the dehydrated vegetables (the kind used in soups ) to the dry rice. It cooks along with the rice and adds vitamins, as well as colour. By Marian

Kelly Ann Butterbaugh0 found this helpful

The primary reason for eating healthy is to maintain a properly working body. However, after my husband was forced to alter his eating habits due to various health reasons, our family realized another perk to eating in moderation - savings.

Raise a Glass to Healthier Eating

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about eating healthy on a budget. Contrary to common belief you can eat healthy foods on a budget.

eating healthy on a budget

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Tips for eating healthy at food places. Is it even possible? Post your tips and ideas below!

Best Answer

I'm not a 'health-food nut', but here are a few suggestions: First, try to avoid 'fast-food' joints. There are many fast, healthy ways most people can do this. I start every morning (after half a pot of coffee) with two or three Tbsp. raw oat bran mixed well with a glass of V-8 or other veg. juice, followed by a good breakfast. By lunch-time I'm only a little hungry so I get by fine with a good salad (lots of peppers, onions, olives, tomatoes, etc.) If you must hit a fast-food joint try to find one with a good salad bar; Windy's used to fit the bill quite nicely and probably still does. A more thrifty option is to keep a large sealed container of home-tossed salad in the fridge (without tomatoes or dressing). Fill a bowl, add tomatoes and dressing, and you can be eating in less than a minute.

For dinner broiled or grilled fish, chicken, or whatever, with veggies works well.

Personally I'm trying to gain a few pounds so I like a large supper with lots of pork or rare red meat and trimmings, and I might still be eating at midnight. If you are watching your weight, or sugar, carbs, fat, etc. the previous suggestions might help. Also in that case take your evening meal early. Eating late is not very healthy. Good luck!

Best Answer

When I'm losing weight, it is always better to plan meals at home. But, I know there are times we must eat out. My husband is a minister, and we were visiting a church for 4 days. I figured on gaining weight with that much eating out, so I got my head ready ahead of time, as the old saying goes. I found out, if it's McD. or Subway while on the road, there is a way to stay with the veges. That is a rule of thumb when eating out. Try to stick with veges and salads. But, the dressing will really come back to haunt you. They tell me the dressing has almost as many calories as a Big Mac. So stick with low cal/ low fat or no dressing. When I tire of salads, I order broiled fish, chicken, or even a breakfast plate if you are at Shonies. Sides with your broiled meat are usually really good. One night I ordered a late supper breakfast, and left off the toast, and had the lean ham with my eggs and potatoes, it was a nice change of pace. You must have variety. I love the new deli sandwiches at Wendys, but, get them to leave off the fries. It seems like resturants are gearing more toward the "healthy eater" now. Wendy's and Subway are my favorite "quick" healthy meal out on the go. If I get somewhere with a menu, I can pick broiled meat and vegetables. Beware of and avoid all-you-can-eat buffets. I'm a big eater and that gets me everytime. Stick with measured out portions. Bob Evans has a GREAT grilled fish with some good sides, and a good salad. I was happy to see, I did not gain weight from the 4 days of eating out.

How do you get healthy if you don't like meat?

By meggiedoodle from Thornton, CO

You say 'get healthy' so I'm not sure if you're having any medical problems, but in general a vegetarian diet can be perfectly healthy and isn't too different from a healthy meat-eating diet.

A few servings of legumes like beans & lentils or tofu a day provides protein. Combine those with grains (preferably whole grains) like rice, pasta or bread, plus your daily supply of fruits and vegetables. Cheese and dairy should be eaten sparingly as it tends to be high in fat. Eggs are another good source of protein but should also be eaten sparingly.

There's hundreds of vegetarian cookbooks and websites to give you more detailed info. Here's one from the USDA:

http://fnic.nal  mp;topic_id=1359

I've been a vegetarian for about 7 years now and don't eat any poultry or meat. We do eat fish, the type with fins and scales, and not the bottom feeders such as: lobster, shrimp, clams, oysters, etc. I'm a vegetarian, not a vegan. A vegan does not eat any meat, poultry, eggs, dairy, honey, etc.

I believe in healthy eating, but am not going to get fanatical about it, by eliminating every thing from my daily diet. A person needs Vitamin B-12 which you can get from eggs, cheese.

My husband was rushed to the hospital a few nights ago with horrendous back pain. He had an MRI and they found that he has two kidney stones. So now we are going to adjust our diets again and eliminate dairy so he doesn't have any further medical problems in that area. He knew that he brought a lot of the problems on himself because he was eating too much ice cream and cheese.

I have substituted soy meat vegetarian products in place of animal meats. And we are going to start eating soy cheese in place of dairy cheese. I have adjusted our diets so many times that I'm used to it by now. Eat a lot of vegetables and fruits and drink plenty of good water such as spring water.

It helps to skip the junk food.

Anonymous

Hi was raised a Vegetarian and I am 68 year old now, every one had good ideas and would like to add that there are ways to help with the protein if you put Beans on rice you have a protein it is better to use the brown rice rather then white

though. I also make my own meat alternative.

Black Bean Burger

By Kimberley Eggleston, About.Com

Black Bean Burgers

It's burger night! My family always asks for seconds of these low calorie black bean burgers. Finish off with all of the normal burger toppings, and serve along side some crispy oven fries.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 8 minutes

1 15-oz. Can black beans, drained and rinsed

I prefer fresh cooked beans

1/4 cup dried breadcrumbs

1 large egg, beaten

2 Tbsp dried onion flakes

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1/2 tsp ground black pepper

1 Tbsp canola oil

4 whole-wheat hamburger buns

Toppings (optional)

Lettuce leaves

Sliced tomato

Sliced onion

Sliced pickle

Catsup

Mustard

Preparation:

1. Place the black beans in a medium-sized bowl. With the back of a fork, partially mash the beans until they are able to be shaped into a patty. Add the breadcrumbs, egg, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper, and mix together well.

2. Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat.

3. Use 1/4 of the bean mixtue for each patty. Shape each portion into patties that are about 3/4-inch thick.

4. Place the patties into the skillet, and cook on each side about 4 mintues, or until the patties becomes lightly browned and are firm.

5. Serve each patty on a whole wheat bun, and finish off with the burger toppings you desire.

Serves 4

Per Serving Calories 271

Anonymous

Another Recipe is.

Potato Veggie Burgers

Yes, you can make fabulous veggie burgers1 from potatoes! If you've ever had latkes2 or potato pancakes, you know that potatoes absorb the flavors added to them quite well, and have a satisfying texture that is both crunchy and soft. Feel free to spice this potato burgers recipe up a bit by adding in some garlic or seasoned salt. This potato and bean veggie burger3 recipe is both vegetarian and vegan. You might also want to try this recipe for black bean veggie burgers4.

* 1 cup canned black beans

* 1 carrot, grated

* 1/2 onion, diced

* 3 potatoes, grated

* 4 scallions, chopped

* 1 cup corn

* salt and pepper to taste

* oil for frying

Preparation:

Mash the beans with a fork or a potato masher. Add the remaining ingredients, except the oil and mix until well combined.

Shape the mixture into patties. Heat about two tablespoons of olive oil and cook each patty until the veggie burgers are done, about 3 minutes on each side.

I haven't tried it but I am going too I just found it.

Not eating meat is very misunderstood. Whether you are doing it for the sake of kindness to animals, or for health reasons, please do not get caught in the trap of filling up on grains. Pasta and bread, whether organic, white or wheat, simply turn to sugar in your body, you might as well be eating cake.

Do not fill up on starches. Eat a lot of healthy veggies. Since a lot of what makes you fill full when you eat meat is the fat, eat nuts and avocados to help you feel full. If you are not going to be a vegan (which is a person who eats NO animal products), add eggs and cheese for protein and healthy fats.

I was a vegetarian for 13 years. I went about it the wrong way. I would always joke that I was the fattest vegetarian around. I filled up on pasta and rice. Even if it is whole wheat or organic pasta, it is really empty calories. You can get fiber from so many other sources which will also give you nutrition.

Most dried beans are very healthy. All green veggies have a lot to offer. Fruits, especially the darker colored ones such as strawberries and blueberries, are packed with nutrition.

You really want to remember to have a lot of color on your plate when eating.

Good luck and eat smart!