Helping Your Dog Deliver Puppies

Dog Her with Puppies
If your dog is expecting, you can help by being knowledgeable about the whelping or birthing process and being prepared to assist or get help as needed. This is a guide about helping your dog deliver puppies.

My Pit Bull just gave birth to 9 puppies, but I am scared that she might smother them or suffocate them while she moves around. Should I move the puppies or let her take care of it herself?

By Lina from Phoenix, AZ

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

We used a kiddie swimming pool for our Dalmatian puppies when they were born. It worked out well due to the sides being tall enough and plenty of room for sometimes up to 13 babies. I believe the mother instinct kicks in when the babies are born. Let mother nature take its course. She will take care of them. Its fun to watch them grow and develop their personalities. We had 4 litters and enjoyed every minute of it. Give the mom higher protein food to help with everyones nourishment.

Best Answer

Hello,

These posts are great answers to your questions. Please keep in mind that the mama will have to eat at least 4 times a day as the puppies will take all her nutrients. She will want a break from them so don't be surprised if she just gets up and leaves them alone. Please make sure she has enough food/water at her disposal 24/7. Watch the puppies to make sure she is not shoving one off to the side and not feeding it. Also, please call your Veterinarian as soon as the puppies are old enough to leave their mom (7-8 weeks old) and make her appointment to have her spay. Good luck.

Best Answer

I looked at the link with the box instructions and didn't like that at all. I have always used kiddie plastic swimming pools. I like them for several reasons. They are the perfect size (since they come in different sizes) and provide lots of space for the growing puppies to move around and play.

2-The upper edge of the sides is smooth and doesn't scratch Mama when she steps out, It also doesn't hurt the puppies who may be "hanging on" to a teat when she's trying to get out. (This sounds odd, but happens many times, and a rough wooden crate can hurt the tiny puppy, and can give him splinters).

3-And last but by far not least, it's extremely easy to clean.

Also, don't worry so much about the Mama smothering the puppies. Yes, keep an eye out and "rescue" ones that she may not even realize she's laying on. But for the most part, let nature take over and they'll be fine.

Don't "separate her" from her puppies. Not ever! When she needs a break from them she will come out of the whelping box. But she will do it when SHE is ready. If you try to separate her from them when she doesn't want to it will only upset her. And she may decide to react in a way that you surely don't want. I've seen otherwise very loving dogs turn and bite their owners because the owner was trying to separate her from her babies. When she's ready she'll leave them for a bit. Otherwise, leave her to take care of them herself.

Finally, one last thing I wanted to mention. Everyone says to make sure she has plenty of extra nutrition and water during this time. This is extremely important. However, do not put the food and water inside the whelping box! Put it next to or near the box, but not inside it. The puppies could get into the dishes and possibly drown or have their noses clogged by the food crumbs. If you keep the food and water next to or near the box then Mama can come out and eat/drink when she needs to without having to go far from her pups.

Also, please do take Mama in for spaying once the puppies are old enough to leave their mom.

Good luck with your new family!

The link tells you how to build one for your dog's litter. Pay attention to the picture and you will see a frame made a few inches from the bottom so if the mama dog gets too close to the walls with her body, the pup can have some space not to get squeezed.

If you're not a skilled Tim the toolman kinda person, you can also buy them. Just do a google search for birthing box or whelping box; either one it's the same thing.

Another idea is to get a used baby playpen and place the puppies and mama in it. It's easy clean up, and open one side for mama to get out when she needs too and the sides give a little just in case mama gets too pushy. You can figure a way to close the opening after all are inside. It's washable, portable, foldable and convenient and should work nicely for several weeks.

http://www.ehow  helping-box.html

God prepares everyone for everything, but in this case 9 are pushing things. In general, let mama do her thing; unless you see that one of them is in some type of danger, mom can handle it. Just be sure she's eating well and lots. and occasionally give her a break. Take her away from the pups once a day (if she allows, but keep her close to them) and let her relax without them. You keep an eye on them, finding a way to let her know you're doing that. When she's ready, she'll go back to them. Sometimes the babies just like to lay against a stuffed animal or a something that's been wrapped and warmed in the microwave. All in all, as long as mom doesn't seem completely overwhelmed and worn out, nature will do its thing.

I have a quick question my dog just had pups a week ago but not she's leaving them and climbing in our bed at night, now don't get me wrong she goes back to them but I worry that they need their mom, now mind you I'm new at this and so is she is her first litter and my first time ever to deal with pups and her being a mommy. I just don't want the pups to die, she's really great at taking care of her three little puppies

Anonymous

Let her take care of them herself

I would. When my dog gave birth that's what I had to do. But if she is aggressive when you try to move them around. Just let them be.

My brothers dog just had puppies and I went to just check on them and she was laying on one. And it suffocated.

They were born on the 4th of July. 2017.

So to answer your question, I'd say yes.

How many weeks does it take for a yorkie to have puppies?

Traci from Fairburn, GA

Usually 57-65 days. Good LUck!

When it comes to a pregnant Yorkie, please take her to the vet! I believe in thriftiness, but your dogs life is not a good area to economize. Please please PLEASE, avoid life threatening complications by taking your dog to the vet.

I always use 60 days as a guide. She will tell you when it's time if you watch her closely. Mine gets ansty and sometimes clingy on the day of delivery.

63 days

From what I've seen on the Discovery channel, it's 63 days.

it takes 63 days

hi..

It takes about 59-63 days. Anything before or after 59-63 the pups might be dead!

It takes anywhere from 59 to 65 days, but it's best if the puppies are born after about 62 days.

My girl is 61 days and she hasn't been showing any signs of pregnancy. She hasn't been making a nest or showing any signs to the babies but I can feel and see the babies moving so they are alive. Is she just not ready or not sure what to do? It's the first time for her to have babies.

What sign should I look for? When my dog is getting ready to have the puppies?

How can u tell if your dog is pregnant? My dog did it just today so I was wondering how to tell if she is. It is her first litter to so any help plz answer.

I got my dog breed back in the middle of May or sometime. It is now August and she still hasn't had any puppies. But she is showing every sign that she showed before she had her puppies last time. For about a week she has had a milky substance on her tits and she has been nesting in the extra bedroom. And still no puppies...

She is on day 65, now should I be worried?

It takes about 2 months for a dog to have babies. Y will notice by the way it acts it will be fatter and it will like to rest a lot. Remember to feed it more food for the babies can be nice and healthy.

It depends on what type of dog you have the days can very by how many puppies they have, how old they are, and the breed of your dog and the father.

Thanks for your help every one. My dog is pregnant. x :)

Actually a bitch will whelp 63 days after ovulation (not mating) +/- 4 days. Sperm is viable for a minimum of 48 hrs which can effect the gestation period. I have been breeding golden retrievers & german shepherds for a number of years.

Anonymous

It takes about 59-63 days.

Thanks for the amount of days I was getting worried.

My dog is having babies.

Anonymous

63 days

How long should it take for a litter to be born? I have a mini Aussie. The first pup came at 5.35 am. nothing since. She is 12 lbs over normal weight.

By Sandi from Kendrick, ID

Sometimes there is a resting period after the 1st pup. It can be between 3 - 4 hours. Did the placenta come out after the 1st pup? What condition is the mother in? Is she caring for the pup in active labor? Call your vet. They should have no problems with you asking questions. Describe your situation and ask if there is anything else you should be doing or what you can be expecting. Best to you

Anonymous

Thank u

During delivery does a placenta come out after each pup or only once? and how will I know if she's having trouble like the pup is backwords or stuck? how long do I wait before I know something is wrong?

By kweenAli

What exactly can I do to help my Pit Bull's delivery of her second litter?

By jbone