Hibiscus Not Blooming

My Hibiscus is a beautiful green plant and bloomed about four blooms. Since then it has done nothing but grow taller and no other blooms. What's my problem please.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

Angelheart from Clyde, TX

If there was an award for the plant that causes the most stress and worry to it's caregiver, I think the Hibiscus would win. At the very worst, growing them can be demoralizing -like when they suddenly collapse even though nothing in their environment or care routine has changed. And even at their best, they are highly unpredictable - sometimes resurrecting themselves from the dead only after you have given up all hope for their survival. Sometimes cutting a hibiscus back will stimulate it into flowering. Other times they may fail to flower if they are not exposed to enough sun, if their container is too large (they like crowded roots) or they receive too much fertilizer. You didn't mention whether you are growing your plant indoors or outside. In both cases a Hibiscus plant likes to take break. Flowering is usually followed by a period of rest. During this time you should back off on watering and fertilizing for at least 6-8 weeks, and move the plant to a cooler room (55ºF is ideal). In the spring, indoor plants should be cut back to a desired height and once again relocated to a sunny, warm location. As new growth appears you can resume watering and applying a high potassium fertilizer every two weeks. Consider yourself lucky that your hibiscus produced four lovely flowers. As long as it appears healthy, try not to worry. Give it plenty of sun, try not to over-fertilize it, let it "rest" for a bit when it starts to die back and above all, be patient. It will come into bloom again when it's ready.

More Feedback:

Hibiscus Not Blooming

Try feeding it. Just soaking mine everyday and keep in the hot sun they always went crazy. Try cutting off alot of green too to disperse energy elsewhere. Maybe it's resting. Sometimes a flowering bush will rest a year and not do much. (08/19/2006)

By Hey! It's me again...

Hibiscus Not Blooming

You don't say what kind of hibiscus. Is it a potted plant? Needs A LOT of sun to bloom. You can cut it back after the season also and bring it inside. Mine usually also blooms inside. This year I cut it all the way back due to white flies and it also hasn't bloomed. But I know at some point it will. Feed it well and keep it watered well and as much sun as you can give it. Watch for white flies, they love this plant and are very hard to get rid of. I have tried everything but after a few years I always seem to loose a hibiscus to them. (08/21/2006)

By valery

Hi.. i bought à beautifull Dr jack hibiscus about six years ago in full bloom. It was Absolutely beautiful ... I put it in a pot and since then it has hardly ever grown any leaves and had no more blooms. I looked up on thé internet that they need lots of potassium and decided to try using something natural to feed it. I fed it lots of banana skins, loved it Into full Sun and deep water it Every day.. thé différence is amazing... It has grown masses of new leaves and buzz.. i cant believe it!!! Cant waitto see when tthé buzz open. Have never Seen it look so amazing. Hope this vélos.

Hibiscus Flower
Getting Hibiscus Flowers to Bloom
Growing Hibiscus
Growing Hibiscus Plants
Transplanting a Hibiscus
Transplanting a Hibiscus
Bittersweet Not Blooming
Starting a Hibiscus from a Cutting
Starting a Hibiscus from a Cutting