Home Remedies for Minor Burns

To reduce pain and scarring it's important to know what to do when a minor burn occurs. This guide contains home remedies for minor burns.

July 10, 2012 Flag

This tip might, if not save your life, at least make it a lot more agreeable! It happens to all of us at some point - we spill a bit of hot water on ourselves, we touch the stove too soon, or we interact with high temperature tools or irons.

I know that at least once every couple of months I find a way to burn my fingers, and it was always a problem. Cold water and ice never seemed to do it, expensive creams never quite did the trick, and even the mildest burn would sting for an entire day.

Then one day I read in my local paper's People's Pharmacy column, about a bloke who cured their burn with a bit of soy sauce. Just douse it in soy sauce and watch it heal! Never one to scoff at anything before trying it, I soon found an opportunity to do so and it worked! It was pretty miraculous. Right away the sting stopped, and no scar was left behind.

I had occasion to remember this today when I was using a wood burning pen tool, and missed. It was a small though pretty severe third degree burn, the sort where you can smell your own cooking flesh (sorry! but true) and a hole the shape of the tool end was left. So I tried the soy sauce. Nothing else but that. I got a little dish of it and let my abused member soak in it for a bit. It still stung, for a good 15 minutes - but then it miraculously stopped hurting! The hole literally sewed itself up, the finger stopped hurting, and all that's left so far is a small white line where the burn was. I can even type with absolutely no problems!

I have used soy sauce with large water spill burns, fairly severe stove burns, pretty much any sort of burn I have encountered. I have been blessed to never have been in a really bad accident. In severe cases, I, of course, would seek medical help (and advise everyone to do the same) but for these small to moderate circumstances, soy sauce is the thing.

By ahorrasi from Marshall, NC

That poster certainly had his share of burns! I've heard the healing properties of teabags, due to their healing tannins, on a burn. Then the tried and true aloe vera, which worked for me when I burned/blistered my fingertips on a hot poptart with hot icing.

If you are diabetic or have have circulations issues of any kind, please do not try this.

A very well meaning tip but I am not so sure that I would want to risk using something that is made from the fermentation process because it could potentially create a serious bacterial infection. Also, the Peoples Pharmacy is actually a couple who sell books and they are not the ones giving the advice but rather sharing bloggers comments who share ideas they've heard through the grapevine and the couple simply replies thanks for the info without any medical research to back it up.

There may be properties in soy sauce that could aid in the healing process of a minor burn, I don't know. However, I am confident no one is going to watch the injury heal. That could take from several days to a week.

Are you sure you know the meaning of the word 'literally'? A hole is nothing but space. How can empty space take a suture needle and suture, and sew it's self up?

I hope you are fortunate enough to never be burned again. But if you are, please try to get a video of this self sewing hole in action.

April 8, 2013 Flag

For minor burns, such as steam burns in the kitchen, after running cold water on the burn, you can put Vicks Vapor Rub or a similar product on it and it will take the sting/soreness out of the burn!

July 27, 2012 Flag

The best thing to do when you have a minor burn is to soak it for a long time in cool water, because the skin under the burn continues to burn until you cool it down enough to stop the burning.

December 7, 2015 Flag

When you get burned, immerse your wound in flour for ten minutes. It should take away the pain and you should not get a blister.

October 20, 2004 Flag

I was told today by a pal about using oatmeal compresses to draw the heat out of a burn. I'd never heard of this before. She said to lay down a clean towel, put a layer or 2 of old fashioned oatmeal on the towel, then put another clean towel upon the layer(s) of oatmeal.

October 29, 2012 Flag

I got a nasty steam burn while cooking. It was late on a Saturday evening and nothing I tried worked to relieve the burning. I found many sites stating to use prepared yellow mustard for burn relief. I figured it couldn't hurt.

March 14, 2008 Flag

Hot glue gun burns can be serious burns and extremely painful. Do not be hasty and try to pull the glue off as it will take skin with it! I protect myself each time I use a glue gun by placing a bowl big enough to fit my hand with cold water and ice cubes.

January 5, 2010 Flag

If you burn yourself while cooking, as soon as possible, put honey on the burn. Just rub enough to cover the area that was burned (cover like a salve). It will immediately remove the hot sensation. I learned that valuable lesson after burning myself on my pressure canner.

By Latkinson562 from Minen, NV

Honey for Minor Burns

Bad idea! Use cold or ice water! If the burn happens to be worse than originally thought, the honey will do more harm than good. Honey is sticky and will be difficult to remove. Cold water will numb the pain and leave no residue to remove. If pain persists a doctor should be consulted.

By a4a42316

Honey for Minor Burns

The idea worked for me. It was a MINOR burn and did immediately take the pain away. I also only left it on for about 5 minutes and it DID wash off easily. (08/11/2009)

By latkinson562

Honey for Minor Burns

DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ON A BURN BUT COOL WATER! I am a Fire and Life Safety Educator, and anything like a salve will only hold the heat in the skin tissue, causing deeper burns. The cool water helps draw the heat up and out. Ice water can actually damage the skin tissue. See a doctor if you are unsure about the deepness of the burn. (08/12/2009)

By weave1022

Honey for Minor Burns

Honey is a great idea for healing burns. I was burned badly picking up a pan that came out of a 400 degree oven. I immediately cooled my hand in cold water, i had a lot of pain and burning feeling. Then i dried and applied honey, the pain subsided immediately. I covered my hand with rubber glove. Slept with it all night, in the morning no pain and almost no evidence of the burn at all. Many scientific studies have been done to prove this works. I am a certified pac and have dealt with wound care for years. (01/02/2010)

Health & Beauty Home RemediesJuly 12, 2012
Man With Sore Tonsils
Home Remedies for Sore Tonsils
Inside a Microwave
Repairing Paint Inside a Microwave