Repairing Paint Inside a Microwave

Minor chips or burns in the paint on the inside of your microwave are easy to repair. You will need to purchase the proper appliance paint and prep the areas. This is a guide about repairing chipped paint inside a microwave.

How do I repaint the inside bottom of a microwave, that has begun to rust?

Tammie from Auburn, GA

Answers

First clean it well with a steel wool pad and let it dry. Then use some Naval Jelly to convert the rust to iron phosphate. Iron Phospate is a stable oxide and won't break down. It will also protect the metal under it from oxidizing. When all rust has turned battleship gray, wash and let it dry.

After that you can use gray metal primer and automotive nick-filler to smooth over pockmarks left by the rusting. That is a bit time consuming, because you have to let it dry before sanding. Once you got the surface nice and smooth, give it one extra coat of primer and when that is good and dry, use a good quality, thin engine paint. That can stand the heat indefinitely. Epoxy or any thick paint won't last inside a microwave.

Two or three coats of that will provide a good looking and easy to clean surface.

Have FUN!
DearWebby
http://humor.webby.com/blog

Is it safe to do this? If it is rusting, it must be old. Get a new one. I recently got a big 1100 watt one for less than $90. Does everything.

Anonymous

I am with Knitter926! I personally wouldn't want to risk heating my food or beverages in a microwave that has been repainted inside when you don't know if the ingredients in the paint are safe for food using microwave radiation.

Am with deeli and Knitter926- not to mention the fact that the interior surface of a microwave is not a really "Paintable" surface. If not coated with a ceramic enamel interior, then most are either stainless steel or aluminum, coated with a plastic that does not absorb microwave energy ( Examples of polymers that do not absorb microwave energy are: polyethylene, polypropylene and polystyrene ).

If it has rusted through, and you only paint over that, you can subject yourself and your family to a whole lot of not good. I mean, Microwaves seams are welded shut for a reason, and paint not meant to ever be used in a microwave would not offer much protection, and could in fact lead to the metal beneath heating to conflagration-point.

Tammy, I hate to say this, but sounds as if you need a new microwave. Check FreeCycle and the "free" section at CraigsList. Most thrift shops these days also have microwaves. We saw a simple microwave (about 600 watts, or whatever the measurement is) for about $50 at Wal-mart a few months ago. We didn't get it since ours still works, but I noticed!

Does anyone know what causes the paint to begin to peel from the inside of your microwave. I have had 2 to do this. The first one was under the rollers and it managed to collect water under there so that explains that problem but the one I have now is beginning to flake off at the bottom where the back seam fits, I thought it was dirt.

I tried everything to clean it. Then I decided it was rust so I tried CLR. It didn't work but it showed me that it was the paint peeling. How can I prevent this from occurring again? Is there any way to fix this scratched place? Thanks.

Connie from Smithville

Answers

I had the same thing happen to me, there is a paint that is made for the inside of microwaves. I telephoned the Sears repair line and they sent me a bottle of paint. (It is the size of a bottle of nail polish, just brush it on) That was a year ago and it is still hasn't rusted again

I have had this to happen to me twice also. I have no clue as to why. I would not want to 'paint' the inside; seems to me it's a lot easier to buy a new one. They are not that expensive.

Does anyone know if leaving the metal, from the peeling paint, exposed is dangerous to a persons health?

Pico is correct. I have personally seen this many times and it will extend the life of your microwave. It does need to be cleaned first for the paint to adhere correctly.

Anonymous

Steam damages the inside of a microwave. Try leaving the door un latched after each use.

I was cleaning food stuck on in microwave. Well, the paint chipped a tiny amount. What can I do? Thank you.

By Sarah

Answers

You can buy appliance chip repair paint at hardware stores. Just go in and ask. It is used for covering scratches on fridges and such. I am sure that that would be suitable to use on the interior of your microwave.

I actually don't think that having a paint chip would be a problem, but I don't actually know. I think it would be safe to use. You could try emailing the manufacturer and ask.

I used plain spray paint on my microwave and it never interfered with the workings of my oven. The spot I had to cover was in the center of the top of the microwave.

Anonymous

But how do you know what that paint is doing to your food ?I would have thought a special paint would have to be used so it didn't cause any harm to food. I was extra careful with my microwave this time by cleaning and leaving door open after use to air out but the paint is starting to peel. Maybe it has something to do with the paint being used in the first place!!!

I am looking for microwave paint to clean the black marks in the microwave. I have checked the local appliance store and they don't have it. Has any one ever heard of this?

By Myra from Slidell, LA

Answers

Anonymous

Sorry but there is no such thing as microwave paint because it is not at all safe to repaint the inside of a microwave and even manufacturers will tell you so. Simply replace the microwave. They are not that expensive anymore and your health is far more important than saving a few dollars.

Search "paint to use in a microwave" and check out the Yahoo answers. There are 2 websites listed that have the paint, one uapinc and the other applianceaccessories.

I've never heard of this before, but I guess if you use the proper paint and apply it correctly, it will not be dangerous. I'll be darned.

There is a such thing and made special just for the cavity of a microwave. This is the website..

http://www.thri  pearl-off-white/

The paint is peeling on my microwave. How do I go about fixing it?

By Sam

I was trying to paint my white microwave to black. I used the appliance epoxy spray paint. However everything has turned black and I can't see any numbers on the microwave. What do I do now?

Piapia from Los Angeles, CA

Answers:

Painting A Microwave

Buy a new microwave. (04/21/2008)

By theone408

Painting A Microwave

Did you mask off the area where the number read-out and the buttons were first?

I would check the label on the paint or call their toll free number to ask about removal. I don' know if that would be some type of solvent or paint remover or if you would be able to very gently scratch off the layer of paint with a razor blade without scratching the plastic.

Someone with more painting experience may be able to help more here than I. Or ask someone at the hardware store where you bought the paint.

Good luck! (04/21/2008)

By Kaelle

Painting A Microwave

Yes, I agree with the other post. Buy a new microwave, they're cheap enough. (04/22/2008)

By MCW