Home Remedies for Removing Cat Urine Odor

My 5 year old cat has just started peeing and pooping inside, in only one spot. She's never done this before. I've used the mixture of white vinegar and water to clean the odor to try stop her and also have sprinkled cayenne pepper over the area.

None of these seem to be working. Her situation hasn't changed at all and she is a very happy, well looked after cat. I would like some homemade recipes to try to stop this problem. The room is going to be my daughter's room, so I don't want any chemicals to be used. Please help.

By amy101 from New Zealand

Answers:

No cayenne pepper. It burns their eyes and, as a vet assistant, I have seen cats actually claw their eyes out to stop the hurting. Cats don't like the smell of citrus fruits, try spraying the area with a strong citrus scented spray, such as "Orange Glow". (07/24/2009)

By catastrofy

I just discovered that washing with an orange oil based soap, then spraying with diluted rubbing alcohol and lemon oil, does a good job. I would, however, try putting a litter box in the chosen spot and then gradually moving it away. (07/27/2009)

By Cantate

I found a product called "Out Natural Spot and Odor Remover" that uses enzymes to kill the odor. I tried 2 other pet products that didn't work. This one did. I poured the product on the area and scrubbed it in with a nylon scrub brush, blotting off the excess with paper towels.

Regarding someone's advice to put the cat box there and gradually move it away. Don't do it.
I moved my cat's freshly cleaned box into the guest room for 7 hours while the plumber worked in the laundry room. After putting it back to it's normals place, the cat immediately started peeing exactly where the box had been in the guest room. The cat is 17 years old and never gone away from his box other than outside. (10/27/2009)

By llazyme

You can also use mouthwash, such as Scope, to get rid of the odour. (10/27/2009)

By catastrofy

Start placing your cats litter box there

orange house cat
Homemade Cat Urine Cleaner Recipes
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Cleaning Toilet
Removing Urine Odor from a Bathroom
A cat sitting on a couch.
Removing Cat Urine Odor from a Couch
🎄
🍂