Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

I am looking for help for my best friend and his mom. His mom is on disability and he is unable to work because he stays home to take care of her. They have a lot of incomplete home projects and the house is almost unlivable. There is no heat, no working stove pipes, they are old, and hot water barely works. I'm trying to seek help for them.

By Sabrina

Best Answer

If they are low income, there is a possibility that they could get help from a state/government organization. It goes by different names in different locations. Here in SD, in some of the towns it is called Opportunities for Independent Living(OIL), the town where I live it is called Independent Living Center. There is also an organization called Adult Services for Aging, their office is usually connected with the Department of Social Services (Welfare Office.)

This mother and son might be better off, if they could get a care giver to go into the home and care for the mother, so the son can work. I do know of several people here in SD that have had home repairs made by the first two organizations I mentioned. Some of these repairs have been in the $10,000 price range.

The only drawback is the people have to stay in the home for a certain number of years afterwards or pay back a certain amount of the cost of repairs. I assume the family has a social worker through the Department of Social Services, that would be the person to talk to about home repairs. That being said sometimes it is time to sell your home as is for whatever you can get and move into an apartment.

Best Answer

There is most likely an energy assistance program close. We don't know where you live so it's hard to do any research. Here in Salem, OR we have this agency. They do fix ups on even mobile homes, but it sometimes means a wait.

If they are members of a local church, sometimes that is the fastest and easiest resource to get help. Try Habitat for Humanity not for a new home but for resources they have. Craigslist might help too, just because people often know of a need and they just come and help. If all else fails, perhaps a rental would be a nice new start. I hope these have helped.

PBP

I live in Petaluma I am on SSI and a cancer patient this last Sunday on August 28 2016 my gas close dryer just tumbles but wont dry and I don't have any money to fix my clothes dryer my SSI money goes for my rent and the rest goes for my golden gate transit bus to see my cancer doctor in san Francisco at uc hospital many times I don't have money to buy food or bathroom tissue can you please help me fix my close dryer I should mention I live alone and do not have any family at all

My mother needs help with home repairs such as flooring is seperating from walls she has a limited income and she is elderly

My mom needs help asap with home repairs flooring has seperAted from walls .she is elderly and very sick and lives on a limited income

Don't count on any help. I live in NC and there is no help in the community AT ALL. Your churches won't even come out to visit with you if you are disabled. Sorry. Pray.

Here in Jacksonville Florida we have program for low income, elderly, disabled folks

Weatherization program for my county name (Duval). They installed blow in insulation, new Energy Star refrigerator. a bathroom exhaust fan. And solar screen on all my windows that got sun. Oh, and weather stripping on doors. Good luck

I'm on disability and single ! And I have a home that's over 20 years old and have alot of unfinished projects but what I'm really concerned about is my furnace and humidifier that just stopped working on me ! I desperately need help .

Call 211 they may be off assistance w programs in your community

A repair man fixing a leaky roof.
Finding Home Repair Help for Low Income Families
Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceJanuary 1, 2014
Small house resting on stacks of coins surrounded by hands holding tools used for home repairs.
Free Home Renovation Advice
older blind woman sitting on a bench
Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Minnesota
Finding Free or Low Cost Pet Clinics in Minnesota
A cat with an empty food dish.
Free Pet Food for Low Income Families
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 21, 2017 at 9:23:48 PM on 10.0.0.7 in 750 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.