Finding Financial Help with Home Repairs

My name is Pam. My husband, Jackie has renal cell carcinoma and has had brain surgery, both lower lobes of lungs removed and a kidney removed. Our house is falling apart and roach infested. We have custody of our 10 year old granddaughter and barely getting by. My parents live next door, but they are 88 and 85 and I help with them also. I'm 57 and in desperate need of help. We have no where to turn. Please help or advise me on finding help with repairs, if possible. Thank you.

By Pamela from Clarkton, MO

Best Answer

I Will keep you in my prayers, Maybe you could check to see if there is a Shepherds Hand in your community. They help with seniors who need work on their homes. If not, check with your Chamber in your city to see if there are any org. who do things like that. Check with habitat groups too. Check with churches, some of them help with needs such as yours. I best wishes to you and yours, I hope that was helpful.

Best Answer

http://www.mhdc  s/hero/index.htm

this url is for help with home repairs for low-income people in Missouri

It sure seems that you have had your share of problems.
I believe you should first try to get all of the assistance that you are entitled to in your state/county. Try and find someone who can help you with applying for money and food stamps. My church has a "person" who does this sort of thing so I am sure other churches do also. The Salvation Army may help with this also.

Help getting house repairs will be more difficult but some of the same places that help with getting assistance may be able to help you find help in this area also.

I do not know what sort of mortgage, etc that you and your parents have, but If you, your husband, your granddaughter and your parents are receiving all of the assistance you are entitled to then you should not just be "getting by". Of course, I can only speak for Florida but I am sure a lot of states are the same (or better?). You will not be able to buy many extras but I hope you would have a better life.

You will have to do your own "leg work" and find someone to help you as people on this site can only offer information, advise and prayers.

A good place to start is your church or your closest church (denomination does not matter) and go from there - just do not get discouraged as help may be just around the corner.

Have you contacted the American Cancer Society?