Home Repair Help for Low Income Families

I am looking for help for my best friend and his mom. His mom is on disability and he is unable to work because he stays home to take care of her. They have a lot of incomplete home projects and the house is almost unlivable. There is no heat, no working stove pipes, they are old, and hot water barely works. I'm trying to seek help for them.

By Sabrina

Best Answer

If they are low income, there is a possibility that they could get help from a state/government organization. It goes by different names in different locations. Here in SD, in some of the towns it is called Opportunities for Independent Living(OIL), the town where I live it is called Independent Living Center. There is also an organization called Adult Services for Aging, their office is usually connected with the Department of Social Services (Welfare Office.)

This mother and son might be better off, if they could get a care giver to go into the home and care for the mother, so the son can work. I do know of several people here in SD that have had home repairs made by the first two organizations I mentioned. Some of these repairs have been in the $10,000 price range.

The only drawback is the people have to stay in the home for a certain number of years afterwards or pay back a certain amount of the cost of repairs. I assume the family has a social worker through the Department of Social Services, that would be the person to talk to about home repairs. That being said sometimes it is time to sell your home as is for whatever you can get and move into an apartment.

Call me I can work with the family income.At 2525717986.

Hi I am fifty eight and I had crumbs heating put on new pressure vallve on system and afterward it put to much pressure on system and messed the system up I need a new system and don't have money what can i do

Anonymous

It's going to cost me about 8000 are more to get my house fixed and I don't have the money

My furance needs to be replaced i have no heat i have a mom thats 83 and my husband is disabled we dont have the money to fix it .

Best Answer

There is most likely an energy assistance program close. We don't know where you live so it's hard to do any research. Here in Salem, OR we have this agency. They do fix ups on even mobile homes, but it sometimes means a wait.

If they are members of a local church, sometimes that is the fastest and easiest resource to get help. Try Habitat for Humanity not for a new home but for resources they have. Craigslist might help too, just because people often know of a need and they just come and help. If all else fails, perhaps a rental would be a nice new start. I hope these have helped.
PBP

I live in mo and can't find no help

Here in Jacksonville Florida we have program for low income, elderly, disabled folks
Weatherization program for my county name (Duval). They installed blow in insulation, new Energy Star refrigerator. a bathroom exhaust fan. And solar screen on all my windows that got sun. Oh, and weather stripping on doors. Good luck

Call 211 they may be off assistance w programs in your community