Christmas Help for Low Income Families

Christmas can be a stressful time for low income families having trouble celebrating the holiday. This is a page about Christmas help for low income families.

A lot of people look for assistance at the holidays. Traditional holiday meals can be expensive and you may be hosting friends or family. Children's gifts can seriously stretch the budget as well.

Here on ThriftyFun, we get a lot of requests for direct assistance which we just don't have the resources to provide. The good news is that in almost all areas of the country, assistance is available. Search for "Christmas Charities" and you will see a series of posts we've done with resources specific to each state.

However, most local agencies and churches offer assistance to families that are already enrolled by November. If you think you might need assistance this year, please reach out to your local agencies as soon as possible. If you wait until the week before Thanksgiving or Christmas, it is often too late.

Programs like Toys for Toys often require that you are already enrolled in a state or federal assistance program like WIC, Head Start, or you get free or reduced lunches. Contacting your local agency will help you get started. Here's information about WIC:

The YWCA is a great resource in many areas as well. They provide direct assistance in some areas or can refer you to local programs.

Sites like Ample Harvest can help you find local community pantries or food banks, which can help with food for the holidays and connect you to other assistance.

Local churches are also a good resource. They host giving trees, food and clothing drives, free holiday meals, and holiday bazaars where you can purchase inexpensive arts and crafts.

Remember that the most memorable part of the holidays is being together with family and friends. A gathering can be made special without overspending on food, decorations, and gifts. Treasure the time you have together.

This year has been one of the hardest in a long time. I have tried to call churches and I missed Toys for Tots for xmas. We are being evicted and this eviction isn't even legal! The court doesn't care. We had proof we paid and were up to date on rent, but they still sided with the landlord. Even after having proof of us all getting sick from the mold toxins in this place. I cannot take beds, living room furniture, nothing (per mold inspector). I don't know what to do anymore

My husband is a vet. He served in Kuwait twice. He has recently been in and out of Bellin psychiatric ward. Our 2nd oldest son is doing self harm and I'm on overload right now and can feel my body wearing thin.

Answers

Best Answer

So sorry to hear of your troubles. Put want ads in Craigslist and Freecycle. If your son is in school the social workers and guidance counselors may have resources, too.

Best Answer

Please contact your local veteran's administration and try to find someone there who can help you all with all of these NOT CHRISTMAS issues first.

Their number is 1 (844) 698-2311

Here is a link for VA recommended legal assistance sites:

www.va.gov/.../legalservices.asp

Contact them ASAP and hopefully they can help review the case.

For the Christmas part of it, there are organizations that help Veterans:

Here are a whole list of those geared to helping vets:

militarybenefits.info/.../

Prayers for healing and solutions! Post back with an update.

Best Answer

You really need to seek the help of a military attorney to fight for you in this case. Even though your husband is a vet and retired they are still there to help out. I know they are so helpful because I took my dad to see one when a company ripped him off on some shady home investment loan he got and they fought for him and got back all his money. If the home has mold you need to contact the housing inspector and report this landlord as a slum lord and get him in serious trouble. I would not worry so much about Christmas right now but instead worry about keeping your home and what you have left for you and your family.

Is there any assistance for Christmas help for families with teenagers?

By Sandy

Answers

Check your local Catholic church, they cover families of all ages.

Does anybody know of any agencies that are helping with Christmas for low income families?

By Chiquita Shaw from Birmingham, AL

Answers:

Christmas Help for Low Income Families

Usually the Salvation Army does a big Christmas drive and donates them. Otherwise find your local Toys for Tots and ask them where to go to get help. (10/06/2009)

By Kelly Crowell

Christmas Help for Low Income Families

Whatever you do, get on their lists now.This is going to be a big year for them. Them being any agency that can help.

Fire Bureau/Police Department I think it's called the Sunshine Division in Oregon, maybe nationwide. Anyway, call a non-emergency number.

Salvation Army, St Vincent De Paul, United Good Neighbors.
Catholic Charities. Yellow pages for charities and benevolent associations. They will also refer you elsewhere. Ask every place you call for another place to call for people you know.

Your local food banks will probably have references.

Go to your local malls starting this month and ask at an information kiosk if they are going to have a gift tree and get your name in.

Local television stations often have some sort of gift program. Keep an eye out and a paper and pencil ready to take down numbers or sources starting now. Tell the older family members to take down numbers. They may have help listed on their websites.

Call your local Adult and Family services and say you'd like to know where to find such help. You don't have to be getting aid, they just tend to know where everything is.

Large churches might be worth a call. Sometimes they do an adopt a family thing.

Food 4 Less stores also offer an entire dinner for about 4-5 for around 20-25 dollars during Christmas and I think Thanksgiving. Sometimes if you get a good deal you can get 2 turkeys at Thanksgiving and have one already for Xmas which saves you money for something else. (10/07/2009)

By PENNY K

Christmas Help for Low Income Families

Start calling all the churches! (10/07/2009)

By LINDA ROLINSKI

Christmas Help for Low Income Families

My grandmother is a Lion. Meaning she works for the Lions those who take care of (the blind). They do have a lot of good buys for Christmas trees, at like 5 dollars a piece or less, you can find a lot of great buys for 1-5 dollars during the summer time. They also have Christmas in July specials at our local branches so I'm sure they'll have something of that nature at yours. Try any organization like that. Also, I'm sure they'd love to help low income families or try to steer you in the right direction. Don't be afraid to just ask those organizations! (10/09/2009)

By alison

Christmas Help for Low Income Families

Oh Craig's lists is another, they have free things out all year round, might find a tree in one of those. (10/09/2009)

By alison

Christmas Help for Low Income Families

I'd start with your local Information and Referral hotline. My local area has the 211 service number, but I don't know if that's in all areas yet. They should know who's most likely to be able to help. Be sure to write down all pertinent info!

If you attend church, your own church family is more likely to help you than any other; you might branch out from that starting point.

Be aware as you check around that demand is particularly high this year. The earlier you get your name in, the better chance you have of getting help. Be as specific as possible in stating your situation. That will help the group in question know best how to help your family.
Don't be deceptive and say you're not getting help if you know you are.

However, if you accidentally wind up receiving help from more than one group, be thankful! Some of your "excess" can either help you through the next few lean months, or might help a friend or family member who was unable to get help for whatever reason.

Last but certainly not least, do *not* be ashamed of being in financial straits. As in the Great Depression, "it's tough all over". My elderly hubby and I (I'm visually impaired) have relied on benevolent assistance the last two or three years to have a decent holiday season. We didn't need the toys younger families would, so the groups who assisted us were able to concentrate on household items and food. It was nice to receive one small gift, though I'm still a kid at heart! (10/11/2009)

By Lelia Jo Cordell

Better Living Charity AdviceJune 1, 2016
📓
🐛
😎
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Christmas-Help-for-Low-Income-Families-2.html