Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Homemade Ant Bait Recipes

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
ants eating bait

Getting rid of ants in your home and garden is the desired outcome. This guide contains homemade ant bait recipes.

Solutions: Homemade Ant Bait Recipes

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Homemade Ant Traps

I used this thrifty recipe instead of purchasing expensive ant baits, and it really works well because the sugar draws the ants in. It only takes a couple of days to see results, and it is disposable.

You will need:

• Empty plastic containers with lids (sour cream/cottage cheese container size works best)
  • Screwdriver
  • Spoon
  • 20 Mule team borax
  • Granulated sugar
  • Peanut butter
  • Water

Poke 5 holes evenly spaced around the container about one inch from the top using the screwdriver.

Mix 1 cup Borax with 3 cups of sugar (good for about 6 traps). Fill each container halfway. Add water to make it soupy. Add a spoonful of peanut butter, stir. Put lid on.

Set traps. Check back in a few days and you should see results.

By Karin from Benbrook, TX

Tip: Boric Acid For Controlling Ants In Garden And Kitchen

Boric Acid For Controlling Ants In Garden And Kitchen

I have a fairly large piece of property. It is mostly sandy loam. Ants seem to prefer this type of soil. At any given time, there may be several thousand ant hills on my land. Sometimes it's hard to put your foot down without stepping on one or two. It would be impractical to try to get rid of all those ants.

I enjoy gardening and always have many potted plants around. Some are being made ready to go in the ground. Since I love to share my plants, some are just sitting there waiting to be given away.

The ants prefer to nest in these pots over nesting in the ground. I have had large pots so heavily infested, my only recourse was to submerge the pot in water overnight. I have lost countless potted plants due to ant infestation, including some expensive Rhododendrons.

I found that there is an inexpensive and highly effective means of controlling these ants. I use the word 'control' and not 'eradicate'. I can rid my home, flower pots and flower beds of ants. Eventually, more will come from other areas. It's a constant battle, but I can keep selected areas relatively ant free.

Ants will eat most anything. One year, we had a lengthy dry spell. The ants were so desperate for moisture, they skeletonized several of my six foot tomato plants. With that said, I would like to add that though ants will readily ingest sugars, fats and starches, their preference is protein.

Knowing their preference for protein, I concocted a simple ant bait which is highly effective. This bait does not kill immediately, and this is a good thing. By having a delayed reaction, there is time for the 'baited ants' to return to the colony and share the bait with others, including the queen. On average, it will take about three days to kill the entire colony.

By careful observation of ants in my kitchen, I have learned that they have a 'one track mind'. If you spill a bit of sugar and an ant finds it, it will take a sample of the sugar back to the colony. The other ants, having tasted the sample, will set off to find more. If you place the preferred protein in their path, they will completely ignore it. They sampled sugar, they want sugar, even at the cost of doing without protein. For this reason, when using ant bait, the area must be clean and free of other substances except the bait. If they find something else first, they will ignore the bait.

My concoction? Nothing more than a tablespoon of beef baby food to which a fourth teaspoon of boric acid has been added.

I decided to try to attract some ants for a picture to go along with this post. So, besides the globs of bait on tree trunks, on rocks in flower beds, etc., I put a glob on a foundation block. The results you see in the picture were obtained in about thirty seconds.

By

Tip: Make Your Own Ant Bait

Dissolve 1 tsp. boric acid and 6 tblsp. sugar in 1 cup water. Soak some cotton balls in solution. Make bait dispensers from margarine containers by punching holes in container lids. Put cotton balls inside margarine containers and cover with lids so bait won't dry out. (I have also used berry containers with success).

Place containers where you see ants. Ants may increase in number initially, but will disappear within days after worker ants carry boric acid back to nest. For long term control, reduce boric acid from 1 tsp. to 1/2 tsp.

By k-la

Tip: Ant Bait

• 1 Part Boric Acid
  • 2 Parts Mint Jelly Or Cracker Crumbs

Directions:

Mix, place bait in a container with ant size holes in lid. Place away from children and pets as boric acid can be harmful if swallowed. Dispose of container after use.

By IMAQT1962 from ILLINOIS

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Homemade Ant Bait Recipes.

Question: Homemade Ant Traps

What is the sugar and yeast mixture in the homemade ant trap that kill the ants?

By Cari from Hazel Green, AL

Most Recent Answer

By Laura [2]04/10/2011

I use 1/2 borax and 1/2 powdered sugar.

Question: Homemade Boric Acid Bait Recipes for Ants

What kind of homemade bait recipes can one make? These three simple recipes are easily made using boric acid as the active ingredient.