Homemade Ant Bait Recipes

Getting rid of ants in your home and garden is the desired outcome. This guide contains homemade ant bait recipes.

ants eating bait
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have a fairly large piece of property. It is mostly sandy loam. Ants seem to prefer this type of soil. At any given time, there may be several thousand ant hills on my land. Sometimes it's hard to put your foot down without stepping on one or two. It would be impractical to try to get rid of all those ants.

I enjoy gardening and always have many potted plants around. Some are being made ready to go in the ground. Since I love to share my plants, some are just sitting there waiting to be given away.

The ants prefer to nest in these pots over nesting in the ground. I have had large pots so heavily infested, my only recourse was to submerge the pot in water overnight. I have lost countless potted plants due to ant infestation, including some expensive Rhododendrons.

I found that there is an inexpensive and highly effective means of controlling these ants. I use the word 'control' and not 'eradicate'. I can rid my home, flower pots and flower beds of ants. Eventually, more will come from other areas. It's a constant battle, but I can keep selected areas relatively ant free.

Ants will eat most anything. One year, we had a lengthy dry spell. The ants were so desperate for moisture, they skeletonized several of my six foot tomato plants. With that said, I would like to add that though ants will readily ingest sugars, fats and starches, their preference is protein.

Knowing their preference for protein, I concocted a simple ant bait which is highly effective. This bait does not kill immediately, and this is a good thing. By having a delayed reaction, there is time for the 'baited ants' to return to the colony and share the bait with others, including the queen. On average, it will take about three days to kill the entire colony.

By careful observation of ants in my kitchen, I have learned that they have a 'one track mind'. If you spill a bit of sugar and an ant finds it, it will take a sample of the sugar back to the colony. The other ants, having tasted the sample, will set off to find more. If you place the preferred protein in their path, they will completely ignore it. They sampled sugar, they want sugar, even at the cost of doing without protein. For this reason, when using ant bait, the area must be clean and free of other substances except the bait. If they find something else first, they will ignore the bait.

My concoction? Nothing more than a tablespoon of beef baby food to which a fourth teaspoon of boric acid has been added.

I decided to try to attract some ants for a picture to go along with this post. So, besides the globs of bait on tree trunks, on rocks in flower beds, etc., I put a glob on a foundation block. The results you see in the picture were obtained in about thirty seconds.

Boric Acid For Controlling Ants In Garden And Kitchen
    CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used this thrifty recipe instead of purchasing expensive ant baits, and it really works well because the sugar draws the ants in. It only takes a couple of days to see results, and it is disposable.

What is the sugar and yeast mixture in the homemade ant trap that kill the ants?

By Cari from Hazel Green, AL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use 1/2 borax and 1/2 powdered sugar.

Read More Answers...

• 1 Part Boric Acid
    • 2 Parts Mint Jelly Or Cracker Crumbs

Directions:

Mix, place bait in a container with ant size holes in lid. Place away from children and pets as boric acid can be harmful if swallowed. Dispose of container after use.

By IMAQT1962 from ILLINOIS

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Home and Garden Pest Control AntsJune 17, 2013
    Scared Dog
    Rehabilitating a Former Bait Dog
    Ant Repellent
    Ant Repellent Reviews
    Mouse Trap With Cheese
    Best Bait for a Mouse Trap
    Ants on the wall of a house.
    Homemade Ant Killer Recipes
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 18, 2016 at 2:03:20 PM on 10.0.2.90 in 708 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.