Homemade Antibacterial Wipes

Category Cleaning
Homemade Antibacterial Wipes, A man cleaning his hands with an antibacterial wipe.
Disposable wipes for cleaning hands and faces can prevent illness and allow quick clean up in the car or on the go but can be expensive. Learn how to make your own with simple materials you may have around the house. This is a guide about homemade antibacterial wipes.

• 1/2 roll BOUNTY paper towels (the others turn to mush)
  • 2 and 1/2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup antibacterial type cleaner (Mr. Clean, etc.)

Directions:

Cut paper towels in half with serrated or electric knife. Place cut side down in airtight container. Boil water, add cleaner, pour over paper towels. Remove wet cardboard tube. To use, pull out wipes from center.

I use a Folger's plastic coffee can for my container. It's the perfect size! To use: fill with cold water and 1/4 cup white vinegar and let sit overnight, this removes the coffee smell.

By Reba in Mississippi

Great stuff! I followed the recipe right down to the plastic coffee container and it's awesome! They tear off w/ out a mess and I'm just so excited that I just saved myself some $$.

Thank you!

Misty in AZ

I tried it and they got moldy. But I didn't measure. Is that the secret? LM

add some Germaben® II (is a broad spectrum, water soluble, liquid preservative system whose active components have been solubilized in propylene glycol) to the mixture. you can find it at wholesalesuppliesplus.com. just look under additives then preservatives.

I will def. try this. I also use my plastic container when making baby wipes. Thanks

You can also use tea tree oil or a cleaner with tea tree oil in to prevent mold. I wonder, as that can be spendy, if vinegar would work?

These are great when traveling with kids or at the grocery stores to wipe off the handle of your cart. Fold paper towels or napkins and put them into a wipe container. Use 1 1/2 cup of warm water, add 1 Tbsp. of coconut oil, and 1 tsp. of alcohol. Add 3 drops of lavender oil if you like. Then mix well and pour the mixture into the container of napkins to saturate them. Makes 2 containers.These are very handy.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

For inexpensive all purpose skin wipes, I fill plastic reusable baby wipe containers or (other plastic containers with lids) with a mixture of distilled water and a few drops of baby body wash. I then add a few paper towels or napkins to the mixture and place the containers in convenient places throughout my home. It works well in older children's bedrooms for pencil markings or sneaky snack messes. It works wonders on preschoolers and baby messes. And is handy in the kitchen for quick clean up or in between hand washes. The entire solution is a fraction of the cost of name brand wipes and I control the size of the towelets.

By Anita from Temecula, CA

Does anyone have a recipie on how to make Antibacterial "Wet Ones"?

Thanks!
Glenda from River Falls, WI

I don't know how much the supplies would cost to make your own antibacterial wipes but your time is worth something too! I buy a container of them at Wal-Mart (Equate brand) and they last a long time. I keep one in my mini van at all times and not just to use on the kids. Also you can buy some of that hand sanitizer for cheap. I bought a small bottle at Wal-Mart for .50 and it's a very handy size to carry in my purse.

My sister-in-law uses them for her daughter. She cuts a paper towel in half and then makes a solution of aloe vera gel, tea tree oil drops, lavender oil drops and water. She soaks the towels in the solution in a container, and as long as you keep a lid on, they should stay moist.

I think this was all good info because I have a gr 8 science project and this stuff helped a lot. Thank you. It did work for me and I really liked that.

Does anyone know how to make your own sanitizing or antibacterial wipes??

Thanks in Advance,
Linda

Answers:
Make Your Own Sanitizing Wipes? 07/28/2004
I used the inexpensive brand of baby wipes at BJ's and add 1 cup of water that one teaspoon of tea tree oil has been added and mixed and let the wipes absorb the the water.
By sshep
Make Your Own Sanitizing Wipes? 07/29/2004
Cut a roll of paper towels in half (serrated Knife works well) so it looks like two toilet tissue rolls.

Into a liquid tight container. big enough to hold the cut roll of towels (old baby wipe container or regular plastic-ware.)

Pour:

1 cup water
1 tablespoon baby wash OR baby shampoo (that's also for regular baby wipes)
Now add approximately 10 drops tea tree oil for anti bacterial and anti fungal properties.

I wouldn't use this on the baby as I do not know what it could do to sensitive skin it is related to eucalyptus. Put smooth side of roll down into the liquid, leave to 15 minutes, flip over so smooth side is up, cardboard core should lift right out of the center. I throw out the first towel as it has glue on it.

For the second Roll get another container

Pour:

1 cup water pour
A little pine sol

Soak towels flip..now leave in bathroom for a quick clean-up.

Don't confuse the two. LABEL YOUR CONTAINERS!

Alcohol is used in sanitizing products, I have not tried this with paper towels.

By Diamondee
Make Your Own Sanitizing Wipes? 01/15/2005
I use alcohol, paper towels and an empty baby wipe container. I have never had trouble with anyone getting sick at my in home day care.
By johnsonya (Guest Post)