Make Your Own Disinfectant Wipes

Category Tips
You can save money using coffee filters or paper towels to make your own handy disinfecting wipes. This is a guide about make your own disinfectant wipes.

I love the disinfectant wipes you can buy (Clorox Wipes, Lysol Wipes), but they are expensive and not environmentally friendly! So, when I am making my own baby wipes and house cleaners, I take the time to make my own disinfectant wipes. Now, they do not use bleach or anything chemical, I simply use a mixture of vinegar, water and essential oils, including tea tree oil which is said to have disinfecting properties. I figure I am paying 1/16 or less of the price of one of those tubes of Clorox wipes. They are great for quick wipes, just as you would use the store-bought wipes. Here's what to do...

You will need:

Cut paper towel roll in 1/2 (width-wise) with a sharp, non-serrated knife. Carefully remove the cardboard from the middle using your fingers to break it away from the paper towels. Remove the outer 1/2 of the roll by using your fingers to break apart one of the paper towels at a perforation and carefully sliding the two parts apart.

Now you have two rolls. Save the outer one and you can use it as napkins or on your paper towel holder.

Pour water and vinegar in the holder and add 10 drops of tea tree oil and 6 drops of lemon oil. Mix well.

Put the inner portion of paper towels in the holder. You may have to work it in. Make sure you can get ahold of the inner-most paper towel, the one you broke the cardboard away from. This will be the piece that you can thread through the top.

Let the paper towel soak up the mixture and then carefully feed the inner sheet through the top. They will continually feed through this way and will break off at the perforations.

Essential oils can seem expensive, but you are only using them several drops at a time, and the little bottle lasts forever. You are still saving money, and not using harsh chemicals in your home or adding to a landfill.

Every little bit we can do to save money and the environment means something!

By Carrie from Okemos, MI

Never buy disposable cleaning wipes again. Layer inexpensive coffee filters in a resealable container and pour in just enough multi-surface cleaner to dampen each one. Coffee filters are made with longer fibers than paper towels and will stand up to your toughest scrubbing.

Source: Women's magazine

By anne from Green Bay, WI

I learned to make my own disinfecting wipes when my kids where in diapers and the disinfecting wipes had just come out and were/are expensive. Here's what you'll need:

Cut the whole roll of paper towels in half with an electric meat cutter. Leave in package to cut. Put 1/2 roll into water proof container, Pull out the cardboard tube. Boil water. Squirt baby shampoo over the top of roll once or twice around the roll, then pour a cap or two full of alcohol over the roll. Pour the boiling water over the roll cover and seal. Leave for 30 minutes or so.

Save the other 1/2 of the paper towels to make your next batch

Note: If you want the Clorox brand wipes, just switch out the alcohol with bleach. At the time, I wanted the alcohol because I had babies in the house.

Enjoy cleaning now :)

By Dawn A. from Durango, CO