Homemade Cat Toys

There are a number of inexpensive ways to make toys that your cat can enjoy. This guide is about homemade cat toys.

kitten playing
Filter Sort

Tip: Homemade Yarn Pom Pom Cat Toy

By lalala... 731 97

If you are looking for a quick and easy cat toy to make, give these a try:

Making a Pom Pom With a Fork

Be sure to take the pom pom away if yarn strands start to come loose. Then just make them another one. :)

pom pom cat toy

Directions:

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Recycle a Water Bottle Into a Cat Toy

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 466 2,132

Water Bottle Cat ToyMy cats are always batting something off the counters and playing with it. So, I remembered something I did as a kid. I put little bright things in a plastic drink jug. You can put beads, paper clips, buttons, and anything that will catch your cats eyes. Seal the lid on with with E6000 glue or any crazy glue. I don't recommend these for dogs, as they can easily chew through the plastic. My cats love it!

By Sandra from Salem, OR

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Pet Pals

By Mary 82 95

Give your furry friends a Christmas present by sewing these cute animals. The patterns are very simple and inexpensive to make. This is also a great way to use up those scraps!

Homemade Pet Toys

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Make Catnip Toys From Socks

Our cats shred the store bought toys we have given them. So we decided to try out making a thriftier version. I use the old mismatched socks we end up with on the folding table. I put approximately 1/4 cup of dried catnip into an old sock and then knot the top (nylon socks work best). This provides hours of fun out of something that would have ended up being a dust cloth. And when they shred it? Oh well! It was practically free.

By Angi from Spokane, WA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Homemade Cat Toys

By Robyn 376 753

I make lots of cat toys to hang on walls where I can see them play. I won't let them have string toys by themselves, as they can eat the string.

These are the pictures of the latest ones I have made.

The laser lights may be fun for you, but they frustrate your cat's need to catch something. These toys make it feel as if they can chase something that is moving and grab at it and bite at it.

Cats need to have toys to chase and play with. One of my favorites is a rolled up ball of paper.

The one with yarn is a six pack plastic circle cut out and I take the yarn and tie it onto the circle. I then take the yarn, and make a loop around one finger, bring the yarn under the circle and through the circle and then the other end goes through the loop I made. it is hard to describe but easy to do.

The other is lids from milk containers, and a little plastic tub lid. I put the little milk lids in a scoop that comes out of a Slimfast like tub, and put the lid of the milk into it. Then I take scissors and poke two holes into the milk lid. I then put double yarn through the plastic lid and tie a knot with the yarn. There are two holes in the plastic lid. Then I put the yarn through the two holes in the milk lids and tie a knot there and then on and on.

I like the way these look, and I am going to make a big huge mobile of lids before long, just to hang up.

The third is toilet paper rolls cut into strips and then tied together to make a rattly thing. You have to interact with the cat to get her to play since they are hung on the wall.

My cats seem to love this and come to my "wall" at least once a day to play.

Six pack and yarn cat toy.
    Hanging lid toy.Toilet paper tube toy.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Shoebox Cat Toy

By Linda Hawthorne B. 6 16

I had seen photos of similar toys offered in catalogs and wondered if I could just make one! I cut a shoe box down a little so all the cats could reach in easily. I then drew circles on the lid and cut them out. I tossed in their favorite rattle ball, furry mouse, and a foil ball that one kitty adores!

This is just my first attempt, mind you. I plan to make another one and 'fancy it up' a bit. I also plan to add holes on the side.

By Linda from Fort Smith, AR

A cat toy made out of an old shoe box with holes cut into the top.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Bouncing Cat Toy from Sewing Scraps

By Cyinda 214 1,287

When I sew with stretch-knits, I save the fabric scraps and longer selvage strips for making cat toys. I bundle the smaller pieces together, then tie the end of the longest piece around the bundle of scraps. You end up with stretchy scraps on a stretchy string. Because it's stretches, it makes a bouncing cat toy.

I hung a long one (you could use elastic) to a hook in my ceiling. I swing this back and forth at the right height for my cat to jump up and grab it. He loves this toy, and he gets lots of exercise from jumping! I like this cat toy because I get to see his fluffy little tummy when he jumps! You don't have to hang it from the ceiling, you can just bounce it up and down in front of them at any height. If you don't sew with knits, you can take 3 to 4 feet of elastic and tie this around any type of fabric scraps.

By Cyinda from Seattle

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Homemade Recycled Cat Toys

By Robyn Fed 394 1,240

I saw my foster kittens were entranced by an empty Juicy Juice box that had a hole cut in the box and both ends taped shut and covered with paper, to where it made a box that looked just like a tissue box. A ping pong ball got stuck in it while it was on the table. They spent lots of happy moments batting this around, it was so cute.

I also use a plastic large waste container that will hold 30 or more gallons trash bags and use it for storage and invert the top and put something soft for them to lay on and look out the windows. They like it a lot, I also use it for storage of things around the house and will make a cover to fit over it and turn it into a table. The table idea I got from a person who told me to use these as storage and put a wooden topper on it, then a pretty tablecloth, for storage. I loved the idea. The cats have adopted these plastic trash cans to lay on, they love it.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton TN

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Animal Crackers as a Cat Toy

By Kim 8 80

I have found a cheap toy for our cat. Half of an animal cracker was on the floor, and our cat chases it all the time. This is a cat who won't play with any storebought toy. Give her an animal cracker, and she gives us a great joy. How thrifty is that

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Toy Octopus for a Kitten

By leanne chaisson 44 84

This is a craft to make for a kitten or a playful older cat. I took the plastic strips off of frozen juice cans, put them together so that all the round loops faced the same way and wrapped an elastic band around the base of the loops. (it kind of looks like an octopus). I used 10 strips, then I hung it from the door knob with a string. The kitten thinks it is the best thing to chew on, bat at, and just generally play with, can't beat this for being frugal!

By Cinnamon from Williams Lake

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Newspaper Toy for Kittens

Rip up the Sunday paper and put the strips in a shallow cardboard box. I have kittens and this is their favorite toy. At night the kittens sleep in my daughter's room and we can't always find them.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Making A Crinkle Toy For Cats

By Jennifer Henson 9 3

How do I make one of those crinkle toys for my cats to jump on? There has to be a way to make something like those crinkle bags you see all of the time.

Jenny in KY

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By donna 1 11 Flag

The pillowcase and plastic grocery bags are great idea. I'll have to remember that one.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Cat Toy Using Jingle Bells

By Paul Wilson 3 8

This is the time of year to stock up on jingle bells to make cat toys for the animal shelters. Attach a bell on each end of a pipe cleaner then wrap it around a pencil to make a spring.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Super Easy Cat Toy

By Cyinda 214 1,287

Here's the BEST cat toy in the world and you'll only need 3 simple things to make it. A dowel, stick, or a long knitting needle, a piece of fish line and some yarn. Take the dowel or stick and to the end, tie on a piece of fishing line about 4 feet long (since fishline is transparent, the cat won't see it).

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Cool Cat Bug Toy

By Cyinda 214 1,287

My cats favorite toy is simple and free to make:

Take a fairly short dowel (about 2 feet long), a knitting needle, or a stick from the yard. To the end, tie a 3 or 4 foot piece of fishline (sewing thread will do in a pinch). At the end of the fishline (or thread), tie just 1 or 2 small pieces of yarn, thread or string (about 4 inches long, but fold it in half to make it 2 inches when it's tied on. (eyelash yarn works best, but any will do)

To play with the cat, simply drag the yarn along the ground. The cat is fooled by the transparent fishline, he can't see the fishline, just the yarn on the end of it. My cat seems to think he's catching bugs. I call it his "Bug Toy". He just loves it!

My favorite cat trick is to drag the yarn along the ground then suddenly raise it about a foot above his head so he'll jump up and catch the "bug" with both paws. This toy will keep him amused for hours and he favors it far above any store bought toy.

One small note: When playing with any cat toy, always be gentle when you pull on the string just in case his little claw might be caught in the toy.

Cyinda from Near Seattle

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Inexpensive "Da Bird" Cat Toy

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251

Both my cats love to play with a fishing pole toy for cats called Da Bird. It costs around $7, and consists if two feathers that twirl when you pull it. They can destroy Da Bird in about a minute. Refill feathers are available to clip onto the fishing pole for around $5.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Easy Yarn Cat Toy

By Cyinda 214 1,287

I have "Forced Air Heat" with registers on the floor. These registers only get a bit warm, not hot. So I tied a 8 - 10 inch piece of "Eyelash Yarn" onto a register in my kitchen that sits totally horizontal on the floor and my cat is having the time of his life!

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Lid as Cat Toy

By Chantal 18 35

Here's another free cat toy. Save the cap from your dish washing liquid, thoroughly wash away soap, and give it a little kick across the carpet or tile. My cat Jack loves to chase these and thinks they're extra fun when it bounces against something!

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Cat Fishing

By Joseph Raglione 29 36

Cat fishing is a very enjoyable sport! All you need to enjoy this sport is an old fly fishing rod or a stick and a piece of string. Tie a small fake mouse to one end of the string and attach the other end to your fly rod. Now you are ready to go cat fishing.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Making a Petmate Crazy Circle Cat Toy

By Linda Delcamp 48 19

I would like to know how to make a copycat of the Petmate Crazy Circle cat toy.

I would like to try to make one of these toys where there is a ball in a circle and the cat tries to bat it around and get it out. They have it at the stores from Petmate. Does anyone know how I can make an inexpensive one using ordinary objects that you can find around the house?

By Linda from Brighton, MI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Crafts MiscellaneousSeptember 1, 2013
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Cat playing With Elastic Cat Toy
    Dangers of Elastic Cat Toys
    Felt Mouse
    Making Felt or Fabric Mice
    Dog Pulling on Rope and Tennis Ball Toy
    Homemade Dog Toys
    Toddler with ball.
    Inexpensive Toddler Toys
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:14:45 AM on 10.0.2.221 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsPhotos
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings