Homemade Cat Toys

There are a number of inexpensive ways to make toys that your cat can enjoy. This guide is about homemade cat toys.

April 30, 2013 Flag

If you are looking for a quick and easy cat toy to make, give these a try:

Making a Pom Pom With a Fork

Be sure to take the pom pom away if yarn strands start to come loose. Then just make them another one. :)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Forgot to add that kitty looks adorable in her "Easter Bonnet"

What a delightful picture! Your darling angel is so adorable sitting there posing!

Read More Comments...

June 16, 2008 Flag

Our cats shred the store bought toys we have given them. So we decided to try out making a thriftier version. I use the old mismatched socks we end up with on the folding table. I put approximately 1/4 cup of dried catnip into an old sock and then knot the top (nylon socks work best). This provides hours of fun out of something that would have ended up being a dust cloth. And when they shred it? Oh well! It was practically free.

By Angi from Spokane, WA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Once the catnip is dried it no longer has the oils in it that cats love so I grow a lot of it, I call it cat beer lol.

My cats can shred a sock in a heartbeat {any kind, including those giant heavy wool ones} so I cut the back pockets out of old jeans {cut through the pants completely when doing this} and put the fresh catnip in them and then hand sew them closed with large stitches so I can reopen and refresh the catnip inside easily.

These have survived for years with the cats dragging them around and sleeping on them. When they get dirty just remove stitches, empty and throw in the washer.

I forgot to add that I use pinking shears to cut the pockets out so the jeans won't shred around the edges.

Read More Comments...

March 31, 2013 Flag

I make lots of cat toys to hang on walls where I can see them play. I won't let them have string toys by themselves, as they can eat the string.

Six pack and yarn cat toy.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 7, 2008 Flag

My cats are always batting something off the counters and playing with it. So, I remembered something I did as a kid. I put little bright things in a plastic drink jug. You can put beads, paper clips, buttons, and anything that will catch your cats eyes.

Water Bottle Cat Toy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 25, 2011 Flag

I had seen photos of similar toys offered in catalogs and wondered if I could just make one! I cut a shoe box down a little so all the cats could reach in easily. I then drew circles on the lid and cut them out. I tossed in their favorite rattle ball, furry mouse, and a foil ball that one kitty adores!

This is just my first attempt, mind you. I plan to make another one and 'fancy it up' a bit. I also plan to add holes on the side.

By Linda from Fort Smith, AR

A cat toy made out of an old shoe box with holes cut into the top.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Wow! What a great idea! Thank you for sharing.

I love this idea. I foster sick kittens from my local shelter and spend a lot of money on toys for the kittens, after they return to the shelter to go up for adoption i have to throw out all the toys because of cross contamination. This will save me lots of money, thanks!

Read More Comments...

August 30, 2011 Flag

Give your furry friends a Christmas present by sewing these cute animals. The patterns are very simple and inexpensive to make. This is also a great way to use up those scraps!

Homemade Pet Toys

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 23, 2008 Flag

When I sew with stretch-knits, I save the fabric scraps and longer selvage strips for making cat toys. I bundle the smaller pieces together, then tie the end of the longest piece around the bundle of scraps. You end up with stretchy scraps on a stretchy string.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 27, 2009 Flag

I saw my foster kittens were entranced by an empty Juicy Juice box that had a hole cut in the box and both ends taped shut and covered with paper, to where it made a box that looked just like a tissue box.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 12, 2007 Flag

This is a craft to make for a kitten or a playful older cat. I took the plastic strips off of frozen juice cans, put them together so that all the round loops faced the same way and wrapped an elastic band around the base of the loops.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 3, 2011 Flag

This is the time of year to stock up on jingle bells to make cat toys for the animal shelters. Attach a bell on each end of a pipe cleaner then wrap it around a pencil to make a spring.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 23, 2005 Flag

Rip up the Sunday paper and put the strips in a shallow cardboard box. I have kittens and this is their favorite toy. At night the kittens sleep in my daughter's room and we can't always find them.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 14, 2008 Flag

Here's the BEST cat toy in the world and you'll only need 3 simple things to make it. A dowel, stick, or a long knitting needle, a piece of fish line and some yarn. Take the dowel or stick and to the end, tie on a piece of fishing line about 4 feet long (since fishline is transparent, the cat won't see it).

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 21, 2008 Flag

I have found a cheap toy for our cat. Half of an animal cracker was on the floor, and our cat chases it all the time. This is a cat who won't play with any storebought toy.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 11, 2007 Flag

My cats favorite toy is simple and free to make:

Take a fairly short dowel (about 2 feet long), a knitting needle, or a stick from the yard. To the end, tie a 3 or 4 foot piece of fishline (sewing thread will do in a pinch). At the end of the fishline (or thread), tie just 1 or 2 small pieces of yarn, thread or string (about 4 inches long, but fold it in half to make it 2 inches when it's tied on. (eyelash yarn works best, but any will do)

To play with the cat, simply drag the yarn along the ground. The cat is fooled by the transparent fishline, he can't see the fishline, just the yarn on the end of it. My cat seems to think he's catching bugs. I call it his "Bug Toy". He just loves it!

My favorite cat trick is to drag the yarn along the ground then suddenly raise it about a foot above his head so he'll jump up and catch the "bug" with both paws. This toy will keep him amused for hours and he favors it far above any store bought toy.

One small note: When playing with any cat toy, always be gentle when you pull on the string just in case his little claw might be caught in the toy.

Cyinda from Near Seattle

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That sounds like a good way to exercise my overweight cat.

Cats are such cheap dates. Our goes crazy for feathers same premise as above by use a feather. (At Craft store)

Read More Comments...

December 17, 2010 Flag

Here's another free cat toy. Save the cap from your dish washing liquid, thoroughly wash away soap, and give it a little kick across the carpet or tile. My cat Jack loves to chase these and thinks they're extra fun when it bounces against something!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 25, 2010 Flag

Both my cats love to play with a fishing pole toy for cats called Da Bird. It costs around $7, and consists if two feathers that twirl when you pull it. They can destroy Da Bird in about a minute. Refill feathers are available to clip onto the fishing pole for around $5.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 10, 2008 Flag

I have "Forced Air Heat" with registers on the floor. These registers only get a bit warm, not hot. So I tied a 8 - 10 inch piece of "Eyelash Yarn" onto a register in my kitchen that sits totally horizontal on the floor and my cat is having the time of his life!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 8, 2007 Flag

Cat fishing is a very enjoyable sport! All you need to enjoy this sport is an old fly fishing rod or a stick and a piece of string. Tie a small fake mouse to one end of the string and attach the other end to your fly rod. Now you are ready to go cat fishing.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 11, 2005 Flag

How do I make one of those crinkle toys for my cats to jump on? There has to be a way to make something like those crinkle bags you see all of the time.

Jenny in KY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I made some of those last year. Take an old pillowcase and stuff it with a few plastic grocery bags and a sprinkle of catnip. Sew it closed or use hot glue. I used staples for mine, but now as a vet student I've seen too many cats that have eaten strange things & required surgery.

I don't know about that but a really easy one is to take some tin foil and make it in to a ball. My cat can't stop playing with it. It's his favorite toy

jacklyn

The pillowcase and plastic grocery bags are great idea. I'll have to remember that one.

Read More Answers...
Crafts MiscellaneousSeptember 1, 2013
Cat playing With Elastic Cat Toy
Dangers of Elastic Cat Toys
Felt Mouse
Making Felt or Fabric Mice
Dog Pulling on Rope and Tennis Ball Toy
Homemade Dog Toys
Toddler with ball.
Inexpensive Toddler Toys
🎉
🎄