Bouncing Cat Toy from Sewing Scraps

When I sew with stretch-knits, I save the fabric scraps and longer selvage strips for making cat toys. I bundle the smaller pieces together, then tie the end of the longest piece around the bundle of scraps. You end up with stretchy scraps on a stretchy string. Because it's stretches, it makes a bouncing cat toy.

I hung a long one (you could use elastic) to a hook in my ceiling. I swing this back and forth at the right height for my cat to jump up and grab it. He loves this toy, and he gets lots of exercise from jumping! I like this cat toy because I get to see his fluffy little tummy when he jumps! You don't have to hang it from the ceiling, you can just bounce it up and down in front of them at any height. If you don't sew with knits, you can take 3 to 4 feet of elastic and tie this around any type of fabric scraps.

By Cyinda from Seattle

Don't you just love that hidden tummy hair? *g*

Soft as silk and touch me only when I say so. I must do this as my Minoux has a streak of pink hair on her tummy that is so rarely offered.

Please be careful with elastic bands. Some cats will eat anything! Also, be careful of pins on the floor, etc. if you are a sewer. Cats are just like little children and need to be protected.

My vet said the number one object in the country they have to remove from cat's stomach are elastic hair ties.

My cat's favorite "toy" is a piece of salvage I cut off of a fleece blanket I was making for Project Linus. "Pink String" gets carried all over the place. We spare no expense to entertain the two cats lol.