Homemade Cat Toys

If you are looking for a quick and easy cat toy to make, give these a try:

Making a Pom Pom With a Fork

Be sure to take the pom pom away if yarn strands start to come loose. Then just make them another one. :)

20 More Solutions

Our cats shred the store bought toys we have given them. So we decided to try out making a thriftier version. I use the old mismatched socks we end up with on the folding table. I put approximately 1/4 cup of dried catnip into an old sock and then knot the top.

My cats are always batting something off the counters and playing with it. So, I remembered something I did as a kid. I put little bright things in a plastic drink jug. You can put beads, paper clips, buttons, and anything that will catch your cats eyes.

Water Bottle Cat Toy

Rip up the Sunday paper and put the strips in a shallow cardboard box. I have kittens and this is their favorite toy. At night the kittens sleep in my daughter's room and we can't always find them.

I make lots of cat toys to hang on walls where I can see them play. I won't let them have string toys by themselves, as they can eat the string.

Six pack and yarn cat toy.

Give your furry friends a Christmas present by sewing these cute animals. The patterns are very simple and inexpensive to make. This is also a great way to use up those scraps!

Homemade Pet Toys

When I sew with stretch-knits, I save the fabric scraps and longer selvage strips for making cat toys. I bundle the smaller pieces together, then tie the end of the longest piece around the bundle of scraps. You end up with stretchy scraps on a stretchy string.

I saw my foster kittens were entranced by an empty Juicy Juice box that had a hole cut in the box and both ends taped shut and covered with paper, to where it made a box that looked just like a tissue box.

This is the time of year to stock up on jingle bells to make cat toys for the animal shelters. Attach a bell on each end of a pipe cleaner then wrap it around a pencil to make a spring.

Here's the BEST cat toy in the world and you'll only need 3 simple things to make it. A dowel, stick, or a long knitting needle, a piece of fish line and some yarn. Take the dowel or stick and to the end, tie on a piece of fishing line about 4 feet long (since fishline is transparent, the cat won't see it).

Both my cats love to play with a fishing pole toy for cats called Da Bird. It costs around $7, and consists if two feathers that twirl when you pull it. They can destroy Da Bird in about a minute. Refill feathers are available to clip onto the fishing pole for around $5.

I have found a cheap toy for our cat. Half of an animal cracker was on the floor, and our cat chases it all the time. This is a cat who won't play with any storebought toy.

I have "Forced Air Heat" with registers on the floor. These registers only get a bit warm, not hot. So I tied a 8 - 10 inch piece of "Eyelash Yarn" onto a register in my kitchen that sits totally horizontal on the floor and my cat is having the time of his life!

My cats favorite toy is simple and free to make: Take a fairly short dowel (about 2 feet long), a knitting needle, or a stick from the yard.

Cats and kittens like simplicity, that and boxes with crumpled up paper balls! The more you can engage them with simple toys the better they will be, because they will always have toys.

Simple Cat and Kitten Toys Are Best

Here's another free cat toy. Save the cap from your dish washing liquid, thoroughly wash away soap, and give it a little kick across the carpet or tile. My cat Jack loves to chase these and thinks they're extra fun when it bounces against something!

Cat fishing is a very enjoyable sport! All you need to enjoy this sport is an old fly fishing rod or a stick and a piece of string. Tie a small fake mouse to one end of the string and attach the other end to your fly rod. Now you are ready to go cat fishing.

How do I make one of those crinkle toys for my cats to jump on? There has to be a way to make something like those crinkle bags you see all of the time.

Jenny in KY

Answers

By lisa (Guest Post)

hello,
I made small ones for my grandson..
But for a dog or cat.. I would say:

Use an entire p-chip sack.. maybe layer 2 or 3 of them.. then encase in fabric..
should make plenty of noise :_)
Liosa

By Camille (Guest Post)

I made some of those last year. Take an old pillowcase and stuff it with a few plastic grocery bags and a sprinkle of catnip. Sew it closed or use hot glue. I used staples for mine, but now as a vet student I've seen too many cats that have eaten strange things & required surgery.

Load More
Crafts MiscellaneousSeptember 1, 2013
🌻
👒
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Homemade-Cat-Toys-2.html