Homemade Cat Toys

Category Miscellaneous
There are a number of inexpensive ways to make toys that your cat can enjoy. This guide is about homemade cat toys.

If you are looking for a quick and easy cat toy to make, give these a try:

Making a Pom Pom With a Fork

Be sure to take the pom pom away if yarn strands start to come loose. Then just make them another one. :)

Our cats shred the store bought toys we have given them. So we decided to try out making a thriftier version. I use the old mismatched socks we end up with on the folding table. I put approximately 1/4 cup of dried catnip into an old sock and then knot the top (nylon socks work best). This provides hours of fun out of something that would have ended up being a dust cloth. And when they shred it? Oh well! It was practically free.

By Angi from Spokane, WA

My cats are always batting something off the counters and playing with it. So, I remembered something I did as a kid. I put little bright things in a plastic drink jug. You can put beads, paper clips, buttons, and anything that will catch your cats eyes. Seal the lid on with with E6000 glue or any crazy glue. I don't recommend these for dogs, as they can easily chew through the plastic. My cats love it!

By Sandra from Salem, OR

I make lots of cat toys to hang on walls where I can see them play. I won't let them have string toys by themselves, as they can eat the string.

These are the pictures of the latest ones I have made.

The laser lights may be fun for you, but they frustrate your cat's need to catch something. These toys make it feel as if they can chase something that is moving and grab at it and bite at it.

Cats need to have toys to chase and play with. One of my favorites is a rolled up ball of paper.

The one with yarn is a six pack plastic circle cut out and I take the yarn and tie it onto the circle. I then take the yarn, and make a loop around one finger, bring the yarn under the circle and through the circle and then the other end goes through the loop I made. it is hard to describe but easy to do.

The other is lids from milk containers, and a little plastic tub lid. I put the little milk lids in a scoop that comes out of a Slimfast like tub, and put the lid of the milk into it. Then I take scissors and poke two holes into the milk lid. I then put double yarn through the plastic lid and tie a knot with the yarn. There are two holes in the plastic lid. Then I put the yarn through the two holes in the milk lids and tie a knot there and then on and on.

I like the way these look, and I am going to make a big huge mobile of lids before long, just to hang up.

The third is toilet paper rolls cut into strips and then tied together to make a rattly thing. You have to interact with the cat to get her to play since they are hung on the wall.

My cats seem to love this and come to my "wall" at least once a day to play.

Give your furry friends a Christmas present by sewing these cute animals. The patterns are very simple and inexpensive to make. This is also a great way to use up those scraps!

Homemade Pet Toys

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

When I sew with stretch-knits, I save the fabric scraps and longer selvage strips for making cat toys. I bundle the smaller pieces together, then tie the end of the longest piece around the bundle of scraps. You end up with stretchy scraps on a stretchy string.

Rip up the Sunday paper and put the strips in a shallow cardboard box. I have kittens and this is their favorite toy. At night the kittens sleep in my daughter's room and we can't always find them.

I saw my foster kittens were entranced by an empty Juicy Juice box that had a hole cut in the box and both ends taped shut and covered with paper, to where it made a box that looked just like a tissue box.

This is the time of year to stock up on jingle bells to make cat toys for the animal shelters. Attach a bell on each end of a pipe cleaner then wrap it around a pencil to make a spring.

Here's the BEST cat toy in the world and you'll only need 3 simple things to make it. A dowel, stick, or a long knitting needle, a piece of fish line and some yarn. Take the dowel or stick and to the end, tie on a piece of fishing line about 4 feet long (since fishline is transparent, the cat won't see it).

Both my cats love to play with a fishing pole toy for cats called Da Bird. It costs around $7, and consists if two feathers that twirl when you pull it. They can destroy Da Bird in about a minute. Refill feathers are available to clip onto the fishing pole for around $5.

I have found a cheap toy for our cat. Half of an animal cracker was on the floor, and our cat chases it all the time. This is a cat who won't play with any storebought toy.

I have "Forced Air Heat" with registers on the floor. These registers only get a bit warm, not hot. So I tied a 8 - 10 inch piece of "Eyelash Yarn" onto a register in my kitchen that sits totally horizontal on the floor and my cat is having the time of his life!

My cats favorite toy is simple and free to make: Take a fairly short dowel (about 2 feet long), a knitting needle, or a stick from the yard.

Cats and kittens like simplicity, that and boxes with crumpled up paper balls! The more you can engage them with simple toys the better they will be, because they will always have toys.

Simple Cat and Kitten Toys Are Best

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

Here's another free cat toy. Save the cap from your dish washing liquid, thoroughly wash away soap, and give it a little kick across the carpet or tile. My cat Jack loves to chase these and thinks they're extra fun when it bounces against something!

Cat fishing is a very enjoyable sport! All you need to enjoy this sport is an old fly fishing rod or a stick and a piece of string. Tie a small fake mouse to one end of the string and attach the other end to your fly rod. Now you are ready to go cat fishing.

How do I make one of those crinkle toys for my cats to jump on? There has to be a way to make something like those crinkle bags you see all of the time.

Jenny in KY

Answers

hello,
I made small ones for my grandson..
But for a dog or cat.. I would say:

Use an entire p-chip sack.. maybe layer 2 or 3 of them.. then encase in fabric..
should make plenty of noise :_)
Liosa

I made some of those last year. Take an old pillowcase and stuff it with a few plastic grocery bags and a sprinkle of catnip. Sew it closed or use hot glue. I used staples for mine, but now as a vet student I've seen too many cats that have eaten strange things & required surgery.

I don't know about that but a really easy one is to take some tin foil and make it in to a ball. My cat can't stop playing with it. It's his favorite toy
jacklyn

The pillowcase and plastic grocery bags are great idea. I'll have to remember that one.

I would like to know how to make a copycat of the Petmate Crazy Circle cat toy.

I would like to try to make one of these toys where there is a ball in a circle and the cat tries to bat it around and get it out. They have it at the stores from Petmate. Does anyone know how I can make an inexpensive one using ordinary objects that you can find around the house?

By Linda from Brighton, MI

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I had seen photos of similar toys offered in catalogs and wondered if I could just make one! I cut a shoe box down a little so all the cats could reach in easily. I then drew circles on the lid and cut them out. I tossed in their favorite rattle ball, furry mouse, and a foil ball that one kitty adores!

This is just my first attempt, mind you. I plan to make another one and 'fancy it up' a bit. I also plan to add holes on the side.

By Linda from Fort Smith, AR

A cat toy made out of an old shoe box with holes cut into the top.

Comment Like this photo? 4