Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Homemade Decongestant Recipes

Homemade Decongestant Recipes

Cold and flu season and seasonal allergies leave many of us with chest and nasal congestion. This page contains homemade decongestant recipes.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Recipe: Nasal Decongestant Tea

Ingredients for decongestant tea.Every once in a while I feel congested, or have post-nasal drip, two conditions which do not let me sleep! In addition, I tend to have trouble falling asleep anyway, so I always keep some Chamomile or Sleepy Time brand tea on hand. The other night, afflicted as I was with this, I had a bout of inspiration; by adding powdered ginger to my "sleepy" tea, I felt my nasal passages clear right up! I was soon able to sleep again.

• 1 tea bag of chamomile tea, or SleepyTime brand tea
  • 2 tsp. ginger powder, or mashed ginger root
  • 1/2 tsp. lavender herb (optional)
  • 1 tsp. mint leaves (optional)
  • 10 oz. boiling water

Directions:

Ginger powder and mint leaves can be found at almost any supermarket in the spices section, and definitely in the bulk aisle of any Whole Foods or natural foods store. Lavender can generally be found at bulk sections of natural food stores.

If you find it in the spices section of a supermarket, be sure it's only ginger powder with no additional spices! One can also use ginger root, though it takes a bit longer to steep.

Above values are suggested - for sensitive stomachs I would recommend going easy on the ginger powder, and for sensitive tastebuds I would recommend going easy on the lavender.

Simply mix all ingredients together, let it steep, and drink!

Servings: 1
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 5 Minutes

By Alicia C A. from Marshall, NC

Tip: Homemade Decongestant

It's cold/flu season, and I am prone to bronchitis. But I have found an inexpensive herbal mixture that loosens up all that gunk in my lungs before it starts to be really troublesome. Take a teaspoon or so of the Chinese 5 Spice mixture that you find in the grocery store and add 1/2 tsp. of dried thyme in a large cup. Add boiling water and let steep to create a tea that tastes awful, but works like a charm!

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!