Homemade Decongestant Recipes

Cold and flu season and seasonal allergies leave many of us with chest and nasal congestion. This page contains homemade decongestant recipes.

October 5, 2012 Flag
Every once in a while I feel congested, or have post-nasal drip, two conditions which do not let me sleep! In addition, I tend to have trouble falling asleep anyway, so I always keep some Chamomile or Sleepy Time brand tea on hand. The other night, afflicted as I was with this, I had a bout of inspiration; by adding powdered ginger to my "sleepy" tea, I felt my nasal passages clear right up! I was soon able to sleep again.

• 1 tea bag of chamomile tea, or SleepyTime brand tea
  • 2 tsp. ginger powder, or mashed ginger root
  • 1/2 tsp. lavender herb (optional)
  • 1 tsp. mint leaves (optional)
  • 10 oz. boiling water

Directions:

Ginger powder and mint leaves can be found at almost any supermarket in the spices section, and definitely in the bulk aisle of any Whole Foods or natural foods store. Lavender can generally be found at bulk sections of natural food stores.

If you find it in the spices section of a supermarket, be sure it's only ginger powder with no additional spices! One can also use ginger root, though it takes a bit longer to steep.

Above values are suggested - for sensitive stomachs I would recommend going easy on the ginger powder, and for sensitive tastebuds I would recommend going easy on the lavender.

Simply mix all ingredients together, let it steep, and drink!

Servings: 1
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 5 Minutes

By Alicia C A. from Marshall, NC

Celestial Seasonings is the best. Make sure to keep tea bags sealed up, as it can hold any odor in it. I didn't close my tea box and the entire fridge smell, (onions, tomatoes, etc) were in my tea! It was horrible. You cannot leave it open even for a few seconds. Even outside the fridge, my box also landed on the floor one time and it was nasty, I couldn't bare drinking it next time.

December 5, 2006 Flag

It's cold/flu season, and I am prone to bronchitis. But I have found an inexpensive herbal mixture that loosens up all that gunk in my lungs before it starts to be really troublesome. Take a teaspoon or so of the Chinese 5 Spice mixture that you find in the grocery store and add 1/2 tsp. of dried thyme in a large cup. Add boiling water and let steep to create a tea that tastes awful, but works like a charm!

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles

This sounds like something I'd like to try. I'm sure it will taste awful but if it will help, then it'd be worth it. I seem to be prone to getting sore throats this time of year....have one now and went on antibiotic yesterday because I couldn't take it anymore. It appears to be more in my glands and even a little in my ears. Swallowing is painful tho. Anyway, I also get phlem at the back of my throat and usually start having a cough and mucus. I bought that OTC Musinex product but didn't think it really did anything. Thanks for the tip!

Should I have the SLIGHTEST nasal or sinus congestion, I KNOW that if I don't get RIGHT on it, it will drain down the back of my throat and congest my lungs! By that time, it's VERY hard to get out and healed, always needing an "expectorant", (meaning to "spit out" when the medicine loosens it and causes a slight gag reflex). However, if I catch it

BEFORE it drains into my lungs and/or spit the mucous out, rather than to swallow, I can save myself a LOT OF DISCOMFORT.( I will certainly try the herbs you suggest.) Otherwise I will continue to

use straight Guaifenesen (Robitussin, I believe) syrup. It's a no-nonsense over-the-counter med for

head/nasal congestion, even for the lungs. Next to

prayer, it's been the best for all of our family.

For sore throat, I watch acidic fruit drinks/teas/coffees/candies/fruits, because certain

combinations and too much of these will cause sore

throats almost assuredly in our family. When the "tickle" begins, or the "scratchiness" starts, we

begin with BioZinc supplements, and Acidolphylus

tablets, both from the Health Food Store. It usually nips it in the bud almost overnight, unless there's fever, at which time we also gargle with salt water, take Tylenol, then after a day or so, if not gone, we

seek medical help. However, we haven't had any

congestion we could not handle without medical care in MANY years.

Since milk, cheese, gravies, ice creams, yogurts and

butters are often mucolytics (mucous-forming), those of us who are more prone to mucous congestion plugs avoid very much of them. As wonderful as they taste, they do cause our family problems. The Organic forms of these seem to do less damage, forming less mucous in our head, but

we still limit them to small amounts per day. Often

times I will hear someone coughing and snorting a lot. If we converse they usually explain that they have had the problem all of their life and believe it

to be "only allergies". After telling them of our problems, they realize how much that applies to the own diet and make adjustments that help them.

Chocolate is not so much an offender as MILK Chocolate. Puddings, dips, creamed soups, etc. are all full of these products. It seems to help a bit to use the NON-FAT versions of these products, perhaps because the fat inside is some of the problem/offending portion?

Some folks seem to be more sensitive to congestion

forming mucolytics than others. We just know of a lot of folks this has helped. Good luck and God bless. : )

Health & Beauty Home RemediesOctober 10, 2012
Photo of homemade orange jello.
Homemade Jello (Gelatin) Recipes
Homemade Moisturizer in a jar near a fern leaf
Homemade Moisturizer Recipes
Chex Mix
Homemade Chex Mix Recipes
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
🎉
🎄