Homemade Decongestant

It's cold/flu season, and I am prone to bronchitis. But I have found an inexpensive herbal mixture that loosens up all that gunk in my lungs before it starts to be really troublesome. Take a teaspoon or so of the Chinese 5 Spice mixture that you find in the grocery store and add 1/2 tsp. of dried thyme in a large cup. Add boiling water and let steep to create a tea that tastes awful, but works like a charm!

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles

This sounds like something I'd like to try. I'm sure it will taste awful but if it will help, then it'd be worth it. I seem to be prone to getting sore throats this time of year....have one now and went on antibiotic yesterday because I couldn't take it anymore. It appears to be more in my glands and even a little in my ears. Swallowing is painful tho. Anyway, I also get phlem at the back of my throat and usually start having a cough and mucus. I bought that OTC Musinex product but didn't think it really did anything. Thanks for the tip!

Should I have the SLIGHTEST nasal or sinus congestion, I KNOW that if I don't get RIGHT on it, it will drain down the back of my throat and congest my lungs! By that time, it's VERY hard to get out and healed, always needing an "expectorant", (meaning to "spit out" when the medicine loosens it and causes a slight gag reflex). However, if I catch it
BEFORE it drains into my lungs and/or spit the mucous out, rather than to swallow, I can save myself a LOT OF DISCOMFORT.( I will certainly try the herbs you suggest.) Otherwise I will continue to
use straight Guaifenesen (Robitussin, I believe) syrup. It's a no-nonsense over-the-counter med for
head/nasal congestion, even for the lungs. Next to

prayer, it's been the best for all of our family.

For sore throat, I watch acidic fruit drinks/teas/coffees/candies/fruits, because certain
combinations and too much of these will cause sore
throats almost assuredly in our family. When the "tickle" begins, or the "scratchiness" starts, we
begin with BioZinc supplements, and Acidolphylus
tablets, both from the Health Food Store. It usually nips it in the bud almost overnight, unless there's fever, at which time we also gargle with salt water, take Tylenol, then after a day or so, if not gone, we
seek medical help. However, we haven't had any
congestion we could not handle without medical care in MANY years.

Since milk, cheese, gravies, ice creams, yogurts and
butters are often mucolytics (mucous-forming), those of us who are more prone to mucous congestion plugs avoid very much of them. As wonderful as they taste, they do cause our family problems. The Organic forms of these seem to do less damage, forming less mucous in our head, but

we still limit them to small amounts per day. Often
times I will hear someone coughing and snorting a lot. If we converse they usually explain that they have had the problem all of their life and believe it
to be "only allergies". After telling them of our problems, they realize how much that applies to the own diet and make adjustments that help them.

Chocolate is not so much an offender as MILK Chocolate. Puddings, dips, creamed soups, etc. are all full of these products. It seems to help a bit to use the NON-FAT versions of these products, perhaps because the fat inside is some of the problem/offending portion?

Some folks seem to be more sensitive to congestion
forming mucolytics than others. We just know of a lot of folks this has helped. Good luck and God bless. : )