Homemade Dog Bed

I'm looking for EASY ideas for a homemade dog bed. Our dog has outgrown the small sized store-bought dog bed that we purchased when we brought her home from the animal shelter. My kids want to buy one of those they see in the stores that run about $30.00! No way! I'd like to make it a little family project for us to make together.

SkyeBlue from Mena, AR

Answers:

Homemade Dog Bed

The ones I have bought have been nothing more than two sturdy pieces of fabric, like canvas, sewn together with a zipper. Then the inside is another two circles sewn together and stuffed with poly fill. This way the inside cushion can be removed so the cover can be washed. Should be pretty easy to do if you sew.
(07/18/2008)

By Michelle

Homemade Dog Bed

We have a new puppy Baby Bella the Boston Terrier, and as she gets larger she will be about 14 lbs, she is only about 2 lbs now. We will transition her from her small kennel to a larger one. Right now she is sleeping on a large towel folded over a few times for a cushion and her blanket. I am going to be using just a regular bed pillow put in a soft pillow sham. I found 2 at a yard sale for less than $1.00. I can take it off and toss them in the washer. Also I am watching for more shams for a variety. Even the doggy beds for her are expensive! Just a thought and enjoy your new family member, I know we sure are! (07/18/2008)

By mrsbutler2000

Homemade Dog Bed

I agree with Michelle, but it does not have to be round necessarily. Rectangular or square would work just as well and the zipper would be easier to put in. Or instead of a zipper, perhaps heavy-duty hook and loop tape like Velcro, would be easier. The washable outside cover could be made with old tees etc. from the kids cut into squares, as long as the fabric is washable, go for it. Lots of the commercial dog beds have cedar chips in them to keep down critters in the bed, just a few mixed with the stuffing of the inner pillow would be enough. (07/18/2008)

By thriftmeg

Homemade Dog Bed

Like the reader above, I use a Queen size bed pillow covered with a homemade pillow sham. I made the sham out of fleece fabric. It's made like a regular pillow sham without a zipper; just pop it in and remove for washing. (07/18/2008)

By Tonia73986

Homemade Dog Bed

If it's a larger dog, I'd shop garage sales and thrift shops for a very cheap used bean bag, cover it with a twin sheet "pillow case" I'd make, call it done, and enjoy my pet. God bless you and your pet. : ) (07/18/2008)

By Lynda

Homemade Dog Bed

I've used foam padding found at a thrift store, cut to size and covered with a pillow case. (07/18/2008)

Homemade Dog Bed

My daughter went to Salvation Army thrift shop and bought a small crib mattress and took a piece of thick fabric she also found there and made like a pillow case to fit. She needs no zipper or velcro. (07/18/2008)

By Anna from Maine

Homemade Dog Bed

I used an old egg crate bed topper that I got from a friend. I cut it to size and covered it with an old sheet. It was easy to clean and and didn't cost me a thing! (07/18/2008)

Homemade Dog Bed

For stuffing when I made mine, I used two large ugly stuffed animals from the thrift store. It was plenty for stuffing the large dog bed that I made. I used a kids size bedspread for the cover. I didn't use a zipper, I just hand sewed it shut with large stitches. (07/18/2008)

By kimhis

Homemade Dog Bed

A friend of mine with three dogs buys crib mattresses at garage sales. Her dogs love them. (07/21/2008)

By Lynn Beth

Homemade Dog Bed

I took a large body pillow zippered case, stuffed it with all the plastic bags from the grocery store, Walmart, etc., added two drops of lavender essential oil and placed it in our 130lb Rottweiler's room (yes he has his own room) and he loves it. As he squishes it down, I just add more bags. We have tried cushions from old chairs, couches, cribs, etc. but he would just rip them up because they didn't move around as he was trying to get comfy. The 'bag pillow' seems to move more freely and shapes to his body and sleep patterns. Great way to get rid of all those shopping bags. (07/23/2008)

By Princesshammerhead

Homemade Dog Bed

I've seen where you save all socks without mates, old socks, etc. Stuff them and sew them together end-to-end. Then wind them into an oval/circle and stitch together. You can make it any size you want. It's a great way to recycle. (07/24/2008)

By susanmajp

Homemade Dog Bed

Hi there! I made one out of colorful fleece. I sewed 2 pieces together leaving about a 5 inch border (make sure that you sew double seams), then cut one inch slits all the way around the bed, but not cutting through the seam stuff with washable pillow stuffing (if small) if you need a larger one - use Velcro to one end - so you can wash it! Use two different colors so the fringe looks really neat around it. Will last a long time. And cheap. My cats love them too! If you don't sew- fabric glue works just fine. Good luck!
(07/25/2008)

By ROBYN

Homemade Dog Bed

For a small bed, purchase 1 5/8yds of 45" fabric, medium: 3 yds of 45". Check the remnant bin for reduced fabrics. You might want to consider using old pillows to use for stuffing. You can use a style similar to a pillow case or a case itself. This would be easy for the kids to sew, teaching them how to use the sewing machine.

Ideas: fabric paint, doggie paw prints, and you can use different decorative trims that you can glue on, using a glue gun or hemming tape that glues on when using an iron. Put dogs name on fabric (use paint or iron-on letters).
(09/06/2008)

By Sue

Dog on Homemade Pet Bed
Homemade Pet Beds
Bedspring Santa
Making a Bed Spring Santa
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
dog sitting in bed
Dog Pees in Owner's Bed
package with a featherbed topper
Using A Featherbed Topper
🎄