Homemade Eyeglass Cleaner

My optician has told me the best formula no matter what type of eyeglasses or coatings you have on your lenses is as follows: Fill a spray bottle (any size will do) with 3/4 rubbing alcohol and 1/4 water. Put in a few drops of dish soap. Spray both sides of each lens and rub clean with a soft cloth. Never use paper towels, toilet paper or Kleenex as they contain harsh abrasives that will scratch your lenses.

By Kathy

Cleaning Eyeglasses - Homemade Cleaner

I was told to never clean my eyeglasses with anything that started as wood - meaning any paper products. I cut up an old t-shirt into several small squares and placed them in the car, tucked them into coat pockets and by the chair I sit when I read. (11/08/2004)

By Cheryl from Missouri

Cleaning Eyeglasses - Homemade Cleaner

I personally would avoid using any soaps or anything that contains ammonia (window cleaner/windex) on polycarbonate or plastic lenses, it will etch the anti-glare and scratch coatings, leaving spots on the lenses that have no protection. As for the alcohol mixture, it's a great tip and one that will save us eyeglass wearers plenty of money :)

Also, make sure to wash your cleaning cloths often, as dust and dirt can gather on them and will scratch lenses like a Brillo pad :) (02/06/2005)

By Siren

Cleaning Eyeglasses - Homemade Cleaner

I duped your recipe, tried it and it worked well.

One caveat:

On my Wallgreens Lens-Clear container, the mfr cautions that their formula is NOT FOR ANTI-REFLECTIVE LENSES. The only ingredient that is mentioned on the container is Isopropyl Alcohol, which is rubbing alcohol, and this might be the ingredient that is harmful to anti-reflectives.

One other thing: To avoid scratching the lenses, I suggest you tell folks to first run warm - not hot - tap water - let it gush - over both sides of each lens to wash away any particulates that may have settled on the lenses. Then use the cleaner formula.(b)(/b) (06/05/2007)

By BarnOwl

Cleaning Eyeglasses - Homemade Cleaner

Bounty paper towels work fine for cleaning glasses. Apparently, they aren't abrasive. (07/26/2007)

Cleaning Eyeglasses - Homemade Cleaner

".. cut up an old t-shirt .."
most T-shirts = cotton and cotton = bad

Places like Wal-Mart sell bottles of eyeglass cleaner that, once empty, you may refill at no additional charge. Eyeglass cleaning cloths are inexpensive and can be washes and reused for a long time. Wash these cloths with hot water and disinfectant soap at your sink and thoroughly rinse. Hang to dry.

Taking a chance isn't always worth the lenses when these products are so inexpensive. Just a thought, peace. (05/30/2008)

By Michael

Cleaning Eyeglasses - Homemade Cleaner

From the Bounty website: http://www.quickerpickerupper.com/faq.shtml#5

5) Is it okay to use Bounty paper towels to clean my plastic eyeglass lenses?

Most opticians do not recommend using paper products to clean plastic lenses. Paper comes from wood. Wood fibers, even though very soft, may damage sensitive plastics. Check with your optician to see what is recommended for cleaning your plastic lenses. (05/30/2008)

By Joseph

Cleaning Eyeglasses - Homemade Cleaner

Silk is the best cloth material to use to clean your lenses. Daddy's old ties are great for this. (09/04/2008)

By MadameVi

Close up of Cleaning Eyeglasses
Homemade Eyeglass Cleaner Recipes
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Brass Buddha figurine on floral fabric.
Homemade Brass Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe