Homemade Gift Ideas For Teachers

Parents and children love to make gifts for their teachers to show their appreciation. This is a guide about homemade gift ideas for teachers.

April 13, 2015 Flag

Many years ago, I put together welcome containers for the teachers on the first day school. I put in a tea bag, instant coffee, pack of sugar, candies and little notes of encouragement. At that time, we were able to add single dose packs of Tylenol (for those extra stressful days). Now you can't add those, of course.

This was a PTA sponsored treat but we were able to get things free or cheaply. Maybe gift cards could be added. Depending on the container size, a lot of things can be put in there for the teachers. This idea doesn't have to be used just for teachers. People you work with can use a pick me up gift also.

I really like this idea. How about a few chocolate covered espresso beans? That might end up being the most valuable thing of all!

November 19, 2011 Flag

Teacher's play such an important role in a child's life and what they do is priceless. With the holidays coming up, here is a sweet gift that you and your child can make together to give to the teacher. It will become a treasured memory. This would also make a great gift for adults or a special occasion.

Approximate Time:

1. A canister from fireplace matches is ideal for this project but another container, such as from Pringles potato chips would work fine also. Match Box Tube

2. You can choose to use a computer and printer for the poem page or you can write the poem out and attach a photo and the handprint to the paper. If using a computer, scan in a copy of the child's handprint and insert it, along with the child's photo on the paper with the poem. Poem for a Teacher

3. If doing it by hand, write out the poem. Cut a photo of the child and adhere to same page. Use an ink pad that is safe for kids or brush on a thin coat of non toxic paint on the hand. Have child press hand down on paper. Push gently to make a good print. Wash ink or paint off hand.

4. I chose to cover the poem page with clear Con-Tact paper so it will last a long time. This step is optional.

5. To make the canister, choose the paper you would like to decorate it with. There are many sites on the internet that offer free printable design papers. You can find school themed papers also.

6. Lay canister on paper and mark width and length needed. Cut paper.

7. Put strips of double sided tape on back of paper. Take your time and adhere paper to canister. Tube Covered in decorative paper

8. Do the same with coordinating paper ribbon and trim as desired.

9. If adding an embellishment, you can poke a hole in the canister and thread ribbon through. Tie object to the ribbon and allow to hang.

The canister in this project has a see through window on the top. You could cover with seaside paper and put in items collected from a beach or vacation. Use nostalgic papers and decorate canister for an anniversary. Write a nice note and attach a gift certificate for a nice dinner out for the special couple. The possibilities are endless!

I apologize for the picture of my finished poem. It refuses to come through clearly, but I wanted to include it anyway so you can see where I put my photo and handprint.

I wrote the poem. Please feel free to use it. Just insert your child's name and name of teacher where needed:

I am just a little tyke
There's lots of things I like
Playing in the park on swings
Riding my new shiny bike

I can kick a ball and jump a rope
Video games are neat
Disney is a real fun place
And so are ice cream treats

My favorite thing in the whole wide world
Is being with Mom and Dad
They always treat me like a king
Although I'm a little lad

But when I can't be with Mom and Dad
Only one place will do
Where I feel safe and loved
Always at Miss CC's school

She let's us do some real fun stuff
We learn and play games too
She gives us hugs and we sing some songs
She's really very cool

Merry Christmas Dear Miss CC
I want to thank you for all you do
I may be little but I have a big big heart
So I'm sending "CJ" love to you!

By Mary from Palm Coast, FL Teacher's Time Capsule Craft

Probably one of the best ideas I have seen so far. Everyone needs teachers, but they are often forgotten when this time of year comes around. Very special and a good thing for grammas and grampas, too. PBP

December 25, 2011 Flag

If you are looking for some small gift for a teacher's Christmas, this may be just the thing. Your child can help make this. Be sure to supervise, though, since it involves gluing with a glue gun.

Completed gift.

June 8, 2015 Flag

This is a guide about making a messages in a bottle gift. This easy to tailor to any event gift is the perfect way to convey your sentiments and gratitude to teachers, friends, and family.

glass jar with lid containing brightly colored rolls of paper with messages for teacher

November 23, 2007 Flag

I need some homemade gift ideas for my son's pre-school teachers for Christmas. These have to be homemade and not store bought.

Amy from Evansdale

I taught preschool for 8 years before having my own kiddos- anything you give will make them feel special- I had a year where I received a single gift that was the name of the student, Thank You, and the year written on a cheap glass ornament. It goes on my tree every single year:). Gifts in a jar are great and just a card and homemade treats are welcome too!!

Paste a picture on flat side of a bar of face soap

Dip the picture side in melted parafin, about 1/4 inch deep in pie tin. The parafin will protect the picture, and makes the soap last much longer, as you only take soap off one side when using it.

You could probably find some Christmas pictures on old Christmas cards if you want to stick with a Christmas theme, or use flowers or animal pictures, whatever you like.

Last year I made my grandaughters pre-school teacher a wreath made from a circle hoop and glued crayons all around it. after word I added the year and a few school embelishments. Took at most an hour to make. It must have been well liked because the younger sister now has that same teacher and it is still hanging inn the classroom.

Trace handprints on green and red construction paper. 5-8 will make a wreath when put pinky finger to thumb in a circle. Put 2 red hands wrist to wrist for a "bow"

February 10, 2006 Flag

This is a great idea for making a very special gift for your child's teacher. Take a plain glass plate, pictures of her students and a class group photo. Place the kids pictures on the back of the plate around the rim and "Gesso" them on. Put the class photo in the middle of the plate and "Gesso" it to the plate. Give the whole plate another good "Gesso-ing" and smooth out any bubbles carefully. Then watch that teacher smile from ear to ear when your child hands her this one of a kind gift! :)

By Laura from Lakeland

What is Gesso????

I went to Dick Blick's website. Seems to be somewhat of a glue. There's different types I guess.

January 23, 2012 Flag

A 'cute' gift for any kindergarden teacher can be made easily by taking the plastic arm off an old doll and inserting a wooden dowel (1/2 to 3/4 inch round, to fit). You have created a unique (and adorable) pointer stick for use in the classroom.

Crafts GiftsNovember 14, 2012
Valentine's Day Bookmark
Valentine's Day Bookmark Ideas
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Making a Messages in a Bottle Gift