Homemade Gift Ideas For Teachers

Parents and children love to make gifts for their teachers to show their appreciation. This is a guide about homemade gift ideas for teachers.

Three Teacher Pencil Box ideas
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Three Teacher Pencil Box ideasTeachers are special and it's nice to show them they are appreciated by giving them a little gift for Christmas. Here is a cute and inexpensive project that any teacher would enjoy. Three Teacher Pencil Box ideas

Approximate Time:

• wood nesting baskets
  • pencils, crayons or colored pencils - your choice
  • trims - your choice
  • glue
  • paint
  • craft knife

Instructions:

1. I used little wood nesting baskets. They come 3 to a set and can be purchased in any craft store. Each one is slightly smaller and they fit inside of each other. You could also use a small heavy cardboard box or an empty can. Painted wooden baskets

2. Paint the entire box in your choice of color. I painted the sides of mine black and then used white to make pictures, numbers, and such so they resemble chalkboards. Hand drawn cat on Black

3. Once paint was dry, I then varnished the box. I made all three baskets and used a different writing implement for each. The crayons fit on the smallest basket so there was no cutting involved, but the pencils and colored pencils had to be sized. Crayons covering a wooden basket

4. If needing to cut pencils, measure length needed and using craft knife, score completely around pencil. Hold both ends close to scoring line and snap to break. Use sandpaper or emory board and rub off any rough edges. Pencils covering a wooden basket

5. Lay pencils or crayons on box to determine how many you will need. When ready, glue each onto box. I use E6000 glue. It dries clear and adheres fast. It's a great glue for crafting. Colored pencils covering the outside of a wooden basket

6. I had some measuring tapes already on hand and cut pieces from these to wrap around box.

7. There are many good sites on the internet that offer free printing for school related pictures. I printed out some and covered them in clear contact paper and glued them to the boxes. Another idea would be to print out letter boxes and spell the teacher's name.

8. Put a package of pencils in the box, then wrap with clear cellophane and tie the top with a red bow.

Here are some other designs I used. Back of colored pencil coverd wooden basket Back of Pencil covered Basket Back of crayon coverd wooden basket

By Mary from Palm Coast, FL

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The new school year has started! Surprise your favorite teacher with this flower pot, made from an empty tin can. Decorate it according to the instructions given below, using red as the main color, or change the color to suit your teacher's mood. This pretty flower pot will sure make your teacher feels special. Fill it with a few red roses, or add some paper flowers to finish it off.

finished craft

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

Yield: one gift

• empty tin can
  • one ordinary sheet of printer paper
  • Jablo mini ivy leaves border stamp, B030 (see http://www.jabtex.co.za/stockists.html for international stockists)
  • flower sponge roller
  • acrylic paint in the following two colors: true red and lime green
  • red glitter
  • Royal Coat Dimensional Magic
  • Revlon Flex Flexi Natural Hold Hairspray
  • dark green and orange colored felt-tip pens
  • two paint brushes
  • pencil
  • ruler
  • ordinary scissors
  • clear drying craft glue (such as Bostik Clear)
  • red roses and fern leaves

1. Wash and clean the tin can and allow to dry thoroughly.
  2. Measure the size of the tin ~ this step should be done by an adult:
    Measure the distance between the upper and lower lips of the can. Also measure the can's circumference. Draw a strip matching the can's size on the printer paper.
  3. measuring can for paper decoration strip
  4. Now use the Jablo border stamp. Use one paint brush to apply an even layer of the lime green paint onto the border stamp. Be careful not to apply too much or too little paint to the stamp, as you will end up with an uneven effect.
  5. Press the image onto the top side of the strip and then, carefully lift the stamp so as not to smudge the stamped border.
  6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with the Jablo border stamp until the top and bottom sides of the strip of paper has a border pattern.
  7. green border
  8. Use the second paint brush and the true red paint. Apply paint to the flowers on the sponge roller. Roll the flowers over the middle of the strip of paper. Do not lift the roller before you reach the end of the strip of paper.
  9. adding red flowers
  10. Allow to dry thoroughly and then cut out the strip.
  11. Use the Royal Coat Dimensional Magic to draw squiggles between the flowers. Dust with red glitter while the Dimensional Magic is still wet and shake off excess glitter. Allow to dry thoroughly.
  12. finished paper strip
  13. Use the felt tip pens to add detail to the leaves and flowers.
  14. Spray one coat of hairspray over the strip to protect the paper.
  15. Add glue to the tin can and glue the strip in place. Add the roses and fern leaves and voila! You are ready to make your teacher happy!
  16. finished floral gift can closeup
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Many years ago, I put together welcome containers for the teachers on the first day school. I put in a tea bag, instant coffee, pack of sugar, candies and little notes of encouragement. At that time, we were able to add single dose packs of Tylenol (for those extra stressful days). Now you can't add those, of course.

This was a PTA sponsored treat but we were able to get things free or cheaply. Maybe gift cards could be added. Depending on the container size, a lot of things can be put in there for the teachers. This idea doesn't have to be used just for teachers. People you work with can use a pick me up gift also.

I need some homemade gift ideas for my son's pre-school teachers for Christmas. These have to be homemade and not store bought.

Amy from Evansdale

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

As a teacher, the homemade gifts are priceless to me. Years later I look back & remember great times. Many of my ornaments are from my students. You can buy a box of 12 clear ornaments, get paint & stencils if you want. Paint them really pretty, add names, year. And not only is it one gift, but can make about a doz. Since that is how many are in box. I also wrap them with cheap, but pretty paper from $ tree, or use white paper & tie a ribbon on top to close around it. Believe me. All these are always loved!

Read More Answers...

Teacher's play such an important role in a child's life and what they do is priceless. With the holidays coming up, here is a sweet gift that you and your child can make together to give to the teacher. It will become a treasured memory.

Teacher's Time Capsule Craft

If you are looking for some small gift for a teacher's Christmas, this may be just the thing. Your child can help make this. Be sure to supervise, though, since it involves gluing with a glue gun.

Completed gift.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a great idea for making a very special gift for your child's teacher. Take a plain glass plate, pictures of her students and a class group photo. Place the kids pictures on the back of the plate around the rim and "Gesso" them on. Put the class photo in the middle of the plate and "Gesso" it to the plate. Give the whole plate another good "Gesso-ing" and smooth out any bubbles carefully. Then watch that teacher smile from ear to ear when your child hands her this one of a kind gift! :)

By Laura from Lakeland

A 'cute' gift for any kindergarden teacher can be made easily by taking the plastic arm off an old doll and inserting a wooden dowel (1/2 to 3/4 inch round, to fit). You have created a unique (and adorable) pointer stick for use in the classroom.

By oSandi from Sherwood Park, Alberta

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Crafts GiftsNovember 14, 2012
    Valentine's Day Bookmark
    Valentine's Day Bookmark Ideas
    Fishing gear.
    Making a Fishing Gift Basket
    Gift Card Holder Crafts
    Gift Card Holder Crafts
    glass jar with lid containing brightly colored rolls of paper with messages for teacher
    Making a Messages in a Bottle Gift
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 27, 2016 at 4:17:15 PM on 10.0.0.158 in 693 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.