Homemade Hair Bows

You can make your own hair bows to perfectly match an outfit and for special gifts. This guide is about homemade hair bows.

Homemade Hair Bows
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 16, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a fabric bow. Making a fabric bow is simple enough even for the beginning crafter.

Making a Fabric Bow

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 27, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a fleece hair bow. Easy to work with fleece fabric is a good choice for making a cute child's hair bow.

Making a Fleece Hair Bow

December 4, 2015 Flag

If you like to crochet and to wear decorative hair bows for the holidays this is the craft for you. This is a guide about making a crocheted holiday hair bow.

November 10, 2010 Flag

I would like to make korker bows. I know you bake them, but how do they get their curl?

By Nikki from Nashville, TN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I found this for you:http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutor ... curly-ribbon-korker-bows/2010/10/28/

When my mom made bows she would take the ribbon and run the ribbon over one blade of a pair of scissors.

The ribbon would be at 90 degree to the scissors. She would do it with one hand while hold the spool of ribbon with the other hand. She would hold the ribbon against the scissors with her thumb and then pull the scissors along the length of then ribbon. And there were curls. Hope this helps.

You wrap them around a dowel rod the size you want the curl and secure them on the ends of the rod with wooden clip clothespins. Make sure them are completely cool before unwrapping them so they will hold their curl.

May 14, 2008 Flag

Expensive to buy - Easy to make! Hair Bows for little princesses!

My granddaughter, now three years old, is getting hair long enough to wear up and, I must admit, I dearly love to fix it when I babysit while Mommy works. I priced the nice big bows in stores and they are really expensive to buy. How much better it would be to make my own and get more for the money spent.

I purchased 1 1/2 yards each of two kinds of grosgrain ribbon. It has a nice stiffness and makes prettier bows than satin ribbon.

To begin, I cut two 8 inch strips for the bottom loops on a double bow. Bring the ends of the strip to the center to make two loops. If it is printed, make sure you fold it printed side up. With a needle and thread, begin sewing the ribbon in the center of the loops, from the underneath part of the ribbon (straight up!).

Once your thread is through the ribbon, secure the loops by catching the side of the loop and taking your needle back up through the middle pulling tightly so that it gathers the loop to make it thin in the center.

Then go to the opposite side of the loop and wrap your thread around "both sides" tightly and take the needle down through the middle. I suggest doing this at least 3-4 times to make your loops for the bow.

Remember, the tighter the thread is wrapped and sewn the prettier bow they will make. Make two of these. Once they are made, hold the sewn loop strips side by side in your hand, to make what looks like an "X" shape. Now join the two together by wrapping the thread around them both and sewing through the middle to secure them.

For the second row of loops, repeat the same process, but cut your loop strips you are going to make 6 inches long so that they will make smaller sized loops. Once these are made, lay them on top of the bottom part of the bow. Repeat the thread wrapping, securing all 4 together.

Once this is assembled, sew down through the layers to secure your bow. To finish, cut a strip long enough to wrap around the completed bow. It looks better if you fold it in half so it will be thinner before sewing to the back of the bow.

These hair bows can be hot-glued on a flat hair clip or sewn on a clip if glue is not available. Most department stores sell the two-pronged hair clips you squeeze.

I hope my directions are clear enough. This is a little difficult to explain. I was so excited about my new accomplishment that I couldn't wait to share the news!

By Sharon from Ravenna, KY

September 10, 2007 Flag

How do you make hair bows, especially spider hair bows with curled ribbon legs? Thanks for your help.

Susan from Prospect Park, PA

Susan,

You'll need to make a "korker" hair bow. After it's made, just hot glue some google eyes to the center.

Check out these sites for instructions for making korker hair bows:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar ... 0/how_to_make_a_korker_hair_bow.html

http://www.korkersandmore.com This site loads oddly (or maybe it's just my computer). LOL

Good Luck and Have Fun!

I just have made some for Halloween. I made Orange Korkers' then I took a small to medium Black PomPom glued moving eyes on it and used some black cord for the legs (8 of them) you will only need 4 pieces for the legs tie the legs together in the middle spread them out four on each side glue the pompom in the middle put a small amount of glue at the end of the legs and glue to one of the korkers try and make the legg a little curvy like a spider leg

February 23, 2011 Flag

How can make handmade hair bows for my cheer team?

By Liz from Norfolk, VA

There are some great you-tube videos with bow making demos and instructions.

October 28, 2010 Flag

How do you make boutique hair bows?

By Tomeykia from Monroe, LA

Here's a link that shows how to make all kinds of hairbows and has pics with E-Z instructions:

http://www.girlythingsbows.com/layered_loopy_bows.html

October 28, 2010 Flag

I have been trying and trying to make a boutique hair bow. Any easy directions, that are free?

By engle from KY

Answers:

Making a Boutique Hair Bow

If you're talking about the type the florists make, believe me, it takes a while to learn! The trick is to twist the ribbon forward each time you go back and forth at the same time you arrange your ribbon in the right areas and angles, then twist the florist wire tightly around the ribbon and rearrange the loops again. I usually make 6 or 7 loops to form one bow (for packages and wreaths).

If it's a simple hair bow, just form a loop then flatten the loop in the center and wrap a much smaller loop of matching ribbon around the center of the loop to enclose it. You can do a double-decker bow this same way. Then pin, sew or glue the loop that wraps around the bow to a pin, barrette, clasp, headband or hair elastic. (06/15/2009)

By Cyinda

February 23, 2011 Flag

What is your favorite type of hair bow to make for your little girl?

By learnhowtomakebows from Cary, NC

Answers:

April 7, 2009 Flag

How do I make a hair bow?

Melissa from Elsa, Texas

Answers:

Making Hair Bows

I got excellent hair bow making instructions from http://www.sweetbabybowtique.com

Very easy to understand and they have step-by-step instructions with color photos. They worked for me!

Editor's Note: This site appears to be selling instructions. (10/17/2007)

By Carla

Making Hair Bows

To add to your list of easy hair accessories, buy leggings and cut the legs off to make headbands that you can clip your bows and flowers to. I have found that the 18/24 mo size makes the best newborn to small headband etc. Just cut off the toe and at the thigh, sew either by hand or machine. Wrap the seam with matching ribbon, this will be the top. Hot glue the ribbon on the underside so that you leave the top open to snap your accessory to. You can do tons of colors and have so much fun. And it's so inexpensive! (11/16/2007)

By More 4 You!

Making Hair Bows

This site I came across. It has easy instructions, with pics and is free. Several styles to choose from on making hair bows.

http://bowdesigns.50webs.com/tails_down_bow.html (01/08/2008)

By Nella

Making Hair Bows

Many fun and unique craft embellishments. Great for bow making. Check it out:

http://stores.ebay.com/Little-Pearly (03/25/2008)

By crafter

Making Hair Bows

Though this discussion looks old, I thought I'd post anyway. I've found the free bow making videos here to be really useful: http://www.theribbonretreat.com/custom/free_projects.aspx.
(09/22/2008)

By Late to the party

Making Hair Bows

If you want to learn how to make hair bows, I'd suggest checking out http://www.LearnHowToMakeBows.com They have the easiest to follow instructions on how to make hair bows that I have found so far! Best of luck! (02/26/2009)

By Darla

March 26, 2007 Flag

How do you make hair bows?

Pamela from Louisiana

Answers:

How do you make hair bows?

I found this site, hope it helps:

http://hometown.aol.com/juliemooredavis/myhomepage/howto.html (10/10/2006)

By Ann

How do you make hair bows?

http://bowdesigns.50webs.com/

TONS of free hair bow instructions. These are just as good, and sometimes better, than the ones you can buy. I've tried her instructions for korkers, loopy bows, stacked bows and collar bows so far and they've been so easy. (12/03/2006)

By cmarker

Crafts Bath & BeautyJune 24, 2012
Making Gift Bows
Making Bows for Gifts
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Cleaning Hair Bows
Cleaning Hair Bows
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 23, 2016 at 5:02:24 PM on 10.0.2.77 in 811 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.